Notices

Just saying hello

Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just saying hello

I'm new to the site. struggling alcoholic who can figure out how not to drink...thanks
Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ok...I was excited to find this forum but after looking through it I'm not sure it is going to helpful. ugh. I was really looking forward to the help.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, streetsnake. It's great to have you with us.

I didn't know what to expect when I first found SR. I couldn't imagine how an online community would be able to help me quit - but it did. I read great advice & grew strong because I was no longer alone. After I was here a short time, I felt ready to let go of it. You can do it.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi streetsnake, all of us have been where you are. Have you thought about a plan? What have you already tried? My will to no longer drink was not enough. I had to change myself. I started therapy, yoga and meditation, journaling, exercise, and I come here regularly. Some folks join AA. There’s no one right way for everyone.

This is a supportive and inspiring forum with lots of ideas on getting and staying sober. Hope to see you around.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At some point you have to help yourself. That's why this forum is here, to help people who want to stop drinking.
What are you doing to help yourself that this forum can't help you with?
It's called taking responsibility.

I am responsible for my alcoholism. I'm also responsible for my recovery from alcoholism.
It took action.
Are you ready and willing to go to any length to get sober?
You have to save yourself, friend. And this site is here to help.
If you don't want the help this site can offer you, I wish you the best.

All I know, is that to get sober I had to take action and this site was part of it.
I hope you stick around and do find help here.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
Hi streetsnake, all of us have been where you are. Have you thought about a plan? What have you already tried? My will to no longer drink was not enough. I had to change myself. I started therapy, yoga and meditation, journaling, exercise, and I come here regularly. Some folks join AA. There’s no one right way for everyone.

This is a supportive and inspiring forum with lots of ideas on getting and staying sober. Hope to see you around.
I've tried everything short of in-patient. I know all the reasons why I shouldn't drink but I still "talk" myself into it...then I end up drinking way to much. My family is on the line because of it.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
At some point you have to help yourself. That's why this forum is here, to help people who want to stop drinking.
What are you doing to help yourself that this forum can't help you with?
It's called taking responsibility.

I am responsible for my alcoholism. I'm also responsible for my recovery from alcoholism.
It took action.
Are you ready and willing to go to any length to get sober?
You have to save yourself, friend. And this site is here to help.
If you don't want the help this site can offer you, I wish you the best.

All I know, is that to get sober I had to take action and this site was part of it.
I hope you stick around and do find help here.
Ghost, thank you. Looking at the # of people viewing different topics I jumped to conclusions. My bad. As stated in another post, I need to figure out to how to not start drinking. I talk myself into it everytime. My wife feels I've chosen alcohol over her.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand completely.
I did choose alcohol over girlfriends and friends who didn't drink like I did.
Soon, I was alone with fellow alcoholics and then I was just alone. With booze.

Man, figuring out how to not start drinking is a tough one. A really tough one.
I found AA helpful. Here was a room full of people with the same problem I have who were getting sober by not taking that first drink.
Others were like me. Wanting to quit, but not knowing how.
The group dynamic of a room full of people with the same desire was palpable.

It took me a very long time to quit drinking.
Until I was told, and learned, that by not taking that first drink I would not get drunk.
It's not the last drink, it's the first one.
I talked myself into it at first, too. Then, when things got bad, I had no control over taking the first drink.
I drank like that for thirty years.

It's hard my friend. And that's why this place is here. To share our experiences, strength and hope.
Especially to the newcomer.

I was confused. I was scared. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to stop drinking despite swearing it off, dumping it out and solemn vows. Still I drank.
For me, it took something greater than myself. A higher power.
I found one and it's been ten years since this alcoholic has had a drink.
And I was a bad drunk.

You've admitted you have a problem. That's the first step. I feel it is required for progress.
We're here to help. And your post has helped this drunk stay sober today by being reminded what those days were like, so thank you for coming here.
I hope you stick around. Because there is hope. And it starts with you.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

gotta have 15 posts for a private message. LOL

I just told my wife earlier that I dont know if things will get better. I've promised and promised and wanted and wanted to make things better but I haven't fulfilled. I don't know what to do at this point.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My wife feels I've chosen alcohol over her.

I sort of hate to say this, but I agree with her.

You see, I cheated on my wife. I didn't quite realize it at the time, it really was an insidious kind of thing. But at some point I cheated on my wife with another lover, and her name was alcohol. At first, we would meet secretly and share experiences just between the two of us. It was fun and exciting and we kept our little relationship secret from my wife. I would spend a lot of money on her, which I also managed to keep hidden from my wife. I really fell for her and begin to spend more and more time with her. She was always available, and always willing to comfort when I was down or help me to celebrate when times were good. I must have really fallen for her because I would do crazy stuff when I was with her, stuff I would never do when it was just me and my wife.

Eventually the relationship changed and I realized that I was on the receiving end in an abusive relationship. Man, this alcohol woman turned out to be a real bitch! Then my my wife caught me in my affair with alcohol, and her world was rocked. I felt guilt and shame for what had happened. And despite the fact that my relationship with Ms. Alcohol was toxic, she kept wanting to hang on to me and be a part of my life. I've finally managed to get this bitch out of my life, but now I have the creepy feeling that she might be stalking me. I think I'm always going to be looking out for her.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OK...how did you keep the bitch out of your life? I can't figure it out.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-far-gone.html (Cannot quit - too old, too far gone!)

This post struck a chord with me. When I just couldn't find that thing to get me to stop starting, this made sense. It's about taking action. Doing without thinking yourself out of it. I was drinking heAvily daily and just couldn't stop myself. After reading this post, I dug my bike out of the shed, inflated the tires, blew off the dust and went for a bike ride. Almost puked the first ride and my legs hurt and lungs burned. I was too tired and nauteous to drink that night. Then I did it again the next day. Decided to double down and made a healthy meal. Then I slept. For the first time in a long time. Then just kept adding each day. One at a time. I stopped THINKING of reasons not to take action. I shut my brain off and just did.

And I checked in here every morning and every night. By listening to others And sharing my thoughts, I came up with a plan that works for me.

You could start there.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Streetsnake. Personally, I wished and hoped for sobriety for years, all while continuing to drink. I was only able to stop when I accepted that the problem was real, stopped ingesting alcohol, and sought support for my decision.

It's definitely not easy, but it is pretty straightforward. One small thing I found helpful is to recognize the value of any amount of sobriety. A day, an hour, a year ... it's hard-won, and worth defending You can do this.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stay sober, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. Sounds like you still want to drink more than you want to be sober. I hope the support here can help change that.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Finalround...thank you very much. I wish you continued success. I'm in sales, so I'm out driving throughout the day. My problem is the the way home...talking myself into it. I do need to figure out how to replace the alcohol with something constructive. I have so many things I could be doing...running, biking, woodworking, etc. but I DON'T.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=streetsnake I have so many things I could be doing...running, biking, woodworking, etc. but I DON'T.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Just "DO".

Don't make me come over there and make you do it! Cuz I will.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

WELCOMKEEP READING AND POSTING - LOTS!!!!!
Join a monthly thread (Dec 18?, read the Sticky's to see how to mAKE A RECOVERY PLAN- MINE JUST NOT JUST 'HAPPEN', VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH LUCK, JUST WILLPOWER OR Stuff

and I am crap with caps lock

Welcome and keep posting
Old 12-13-2018, 01:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I understand you may not be ready to quit but posting here is a start. Can you gone day without a drink? Or could you at least try it? Start with that challenge and stay here for support.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks everyone. What is the Weekly Thread?