Notices

1rst post worried about health Help

Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1rst post worried about health Help

Hello this is my first post so hang with me. I own my own business causing a lot of stress, which is what led me to drinking heavily. I am 25. I’ve been drinking since 16. From 21-present I drink all day everyday. I haven’t been sober 1 day in 5 yrs. I drink anywhere from 12-24 beers a day. I have been to doctor a few times this year and have had multiple blood tests, ultrasound, scans, and a scope. However they haven’t found anything but I just know something is wrong. I have a constant pain under my right ribs, feet hurt getting out of bed, lower back pain,tired,anxiety etc. I’m tired of being sick and tired and I’m just scared I have ruined my body. I guess I came hear to listen to people who have gone through the same things. I am tapering down at the moment. Is there things that helped you. Thank you so much
Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I had a lot of physical ailments after 35 years of pretty much daily drinking.

Most went away when I quit drinking.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I think you'll find that if you stop drinking, your health problems will get a lot better.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. Hopefully your health issues will improve when you are no longer drinking.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What blood tests did you have? With the amount you have been drinking I'm surprised that any liver test didn't show that your enzymes that indicate heavy drinking are elevated. Things normally start to return to what should be normal after about 6 weeks of abstinence.

You have age on your side but drinking at such high levels will eventually catch up with you. You say you are tapering to wean yourself off alcohol. If that works for you then fine but do you have a Plan B in case you can't stop? Have you told your Doctor about your drinking? He or she may be able to help you with the short term effects of coming off alcohol which don't involve tapering. But I wouldn't just stop drinking cold turkey if you are still drinking a large amount of alcohol as it can be dangerous.

But as said above, when you do stop drinking your health will improve considerably.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. The only way I could get a baseline for my health and what does need care was to get completely, permanently sober. The physical health I have now is priceless- but the quality of life I have in sobriety is a very close second.

I can promise you that damage only gets worse the longer you drink and the older you get. I was drinking like you by the last few years and it just isn't permanently sustainable.

The best time to quit and begin living a healthy life in every way is now.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Sobriety is going to be the best decision you ever make!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi tooyoungforthis - welcome

I'm not a doctor but I drank like you did for a similar amount of time - after 15 years or so of binge drinking before that.

I was sure there would have to be a price to pay healthwise and that I was going to die any minute...but I didn't.

I'm still alive and kicking 12 years later

I hope you make the decision to stop drinking, get past the fear, and start enjoying life sober

D
Old 12-10-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drank like you. And I didn't have health problems until I did. Thankfully it wasn't too late.
Some of us don't make it, and I could roll off a list of friends who didn't.

You're still young. I'm glad you decided to quit. Were you brutally honest with your doctor about how much you are drinking?
It's a lot , by any measure, and not having a break in it doesn't help.

I went through the same thing. I drank about as much as you at your age, and would continue for another twenty years.
The last ten I wasn't really living. I was just a drinking machine.
Hospitalized three times. Etc....Etc....

I really do hope you can quit. I got tired of being sick and tired, too.

Come here, go to an AA meeting, get counseling. Whatever it takes.
I had to go to any length to get sober.
And I did.
Please don't waste your youth like I did. Because believe me, it will only get worse.
Best to you.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome TYFT. What ever your tests show- 24 a day is dangerous- I was drinking that. Can you do a rehab? Seeing a counsellor helped me a lot, as did/does SR and going to meetings. Does your GP know how much you drink and about the pain?
Support to you.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

It is great that you recognize your triggers (stress, owning a business)...have you tried group meetings? It might be helpful to share with other like minded individuals what you are feeling, and in most instances it’s totally free. You will be surprised how “normal” the group is - working professionals who found themselves exactly where you are now, who can help you in your journey to freedom.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi TY. You are very young. Take steps to stop drinking for good today and turn your life around. Don’t wait until it is too late. Don’t keep putting it off.

What blood tests did you have? Were you truthful with your dr about your drinking? It’s important because the type of tests prescribed depend on patient history. If your doctor doesn’t know, he/she may not be running the correct panel.

Regardless, if you are feeling this bad, it’s time to stop altogether. We know now that moderation is not good for our health like once thought. Even though my blood tests originally were only slightly elevated, I felt horrible. I used the results to justify continued drinking. The next year my test results were worse and so were my symptoms. Once I stopped drinking, it took several months and eventually my symptoms went away. My health is very good now. Not everyone is that lucky though.

There is a better life for you!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah I have the same story as you and posted here just like you. That pain under your ribs, that's your liver. I quit drinking 6 weeks ago and the pain is gone.

Same story as yours:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-insight.html (First time posting, need a little insight.)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Similar intake

I had a similar intake. Usually about 18 beers a day. My tests were ok but I was always worried about blood work. Quitting ASAP is the best thing to do. Although some people are able to taper off I did not. I just stopped after a hangover that made me think I was going to die. Best of luck to you. You can do it.