Notices

It is time

Old 12-13-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow. Thank you all so much, I’m really touched by the warm welcome!

@DriGuy @AtomicBlue: You were absolutely right, the first two nights went well, then I drank on the third (yesterday). I’m fascinated by how my impulse control diminishes when I’m tired.

I will be traveling the next 10 days or so (it’s usually easier for me to stay off alcohol when I travel, I think it relates to the change in routine), so my plan is to stay off it during the whole trip, and once I’m back home I’ll hopefully be over that first hump.

@AAPJ: Yes, I’ve actually been considering going to a private therapist who specializes on addiction, I think it’s a good idea. Scheduling has kept me away so far, but I may have to find a way to fit it in. I’ll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks; If I’m successful on my own I’ll continue that path, otherwise I’ll see to it that I start going to the therapist, even if it’s only once per month.

Thank you all for checking in, I genuinely appreciate it so much. I will try to write every day for a while, I’m realizing now that I probably need to do that to stay clean the first few days.

Tom
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Tom, I seriously processed my drinking and made attempts to control it for about 6 months before biting the bullet and committing myself to zero alcohol for the rest of my life. It was a big step.

But that was my goal and I've stuck to it for 23 years, and it's been wonderful. There are still times when I get stressed, when I face up to the fact that I can't control everything around me, and bad things still come up from time to time, but the stress is not overwhelming like it felt when I was drinking. Life is better than I ever thought it could be.

You will process your situation and make your own choices, all of which can be revised if necessary. I wish you an interesting and productive journey as you move forward. I hope you keep checking in.