Notices

10 Days Sober

Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 Days Sober

Just had 10 days sober. Trying to focus on staying sober and not rationalize going back to drinking. Feeling nicer, calmer, clearer. The haze is lifting and not sure where to go now as my focus was drinking, bars, getting buzzed. My body and spirit need a new direction. I need to find new friends, activities and ways of dealing with periods of boredom and loneliness. It’s like waking up to a new life but I have bouts of anxiety, depression and isolation.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Texashealth - you'll find a lot of good ideas and support here.

Read around, post as much as you like

D
Old 12-10-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome TexasHealth, and congrats on 10 days! It can be tempting to "snowball" (as I call it), getting ahead of the next 24 hours. Right now, all you need to do is not drink today, and when you want to drink, do something else instead...tons of support, tips and info are here for you.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome texashealth. Congrats on 10 days.

I completely understand where you are coming from. What do I do now that drinking isn't part of me?

I would start by googling "what to do near me". Or in "x" city. Then start looking around for things that interest me. Then clicking that opens other things that might be fun.

I have found some really cool things to do with my sons and family. Festivals, food fairs, (food truck night was really fun), car shows, nature trails, free live music. I didn't realize how much really cool things were going on all around me when I just looked for the next time to drink.

No bull&#%t either. Sober life is way more interesting.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family TH. You'll find lots of support and wisdom here. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you texashealth and well done on ten days!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome TH. If your new to recovery, maybe find some meetings in your area and get active. 12 step programs aren't always the answer, but it's a good, safe place to start. Keep coming back.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations. 10 days is meaningful. I considered it as being "on my way" at 10 days. I found things to do in AA, a meeting every night, and also parties and socialization with new friends. That was enough to do at that time in my life. I was single, so the socializations there were important. You're married, and you can find family things to do. I think staying in close contact with sober people is important. If you don't want to go to meetings. This is probably the next best thing to stay in touch with recovering alcoholics. I consider cyber friends as actual friends. I live in the woods. I do have friends nearby, one is even a guy who has been sober for many years.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 10 days!

'Trying to focus on staying sober and not rationalize going back to drinking.'

This is very important, as myself and countless members here have had long periods of sobriety where we're feeling good and think we can magically go back to drinking and control it. Being able to give up alcohol for long periods of time does not mean you are now magically capable of moderating when you do drink. Make sure you stick to focusing on staying sober!