Notices

Weekender Thread 7th -10th December2018

Old 12-12-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Hi MesaMan, loved your pic & post as ever. Especially liked the one set of stars comment and your deep appreciation for that fact. Wow, what a busy day. If I were in your shoes I would certainly be packing in early tonight!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post

The new Oven is in and working. No sparks. No damaged Toes. Now, it's on to designing in the new prefab, tested Control Panel to operate the Concrete Radiant Floor. I finally understand all the Water Line In/Out functions on this 3' square Panel of endless Parts. So, I can now get on with Copper Pipe Torch Soldering w/o flooding the House.

Mesa, this passage reminded me of the Martian novel.

I've never seen a movie and I expected the novel to be something epic-heroic-world-conquering-blah-blah.

To my pleasant surprise it was nothing like this but packed with witty humour . And a lot of tinkering required to survive.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Bedtime.

Goodnight, weekenders.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Mr

Goodnight MB
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders
I’m going to see the grief counsellor again today. I decided to keep this last appointment and see what happens.... I’m going in with an open mind, as perhaps I was too negative and cynical the last couple of times... if I come out upset and frustrated again I’ll find someone else in the new year...

Zoeydog, most of my friends drink too, most of them drink a lot.... so I haven’t been seeing very much of them lately as nearly everything is planned around drinking.... I have been to the movies (Bohemian Rhapsody) and out for lunch and coffee, but have been avoiding friends on the weekend.... Work Christmas party this weekend and I’m planning to have extra helpings of dessert as my reward for staying sober lol I’m not going to blow it straight after I reach 7 months this Friday (tomorrow!)

Vman and Bim, I LOVE Xavier Rudd! ❤️ He’s definitely sparkling

Captain enjoy your time off! I hope everyone is getting a break at this time of year. A break to unwind and recharge. I’m planning to use my time to recharge and escape for long walks (and I will avoid alcohol like the plague, while everyone around me gets rolling drunk. Seriously, last time I spent Christmas with them it was very very messy, uggghhhh). I NOT going to be sick and hungover for days on end with them this time ....

Mesa your comment about sober adulting reminded me of this, which I actually relate quite well to... I’m very happy to be sober, but the adulting part can sometimes be rather tiring and I do feel like this rather often lol

And sometimes we just need to give ourselves a break

Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Mr

Great post Willow.
We will be thinking of you Friday (not tomorrow for me )
Stay safe at the weekend party.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Sober since October

I got ahead of myself with bedtime - after an hour of tossing and turning I am in the company of insomnia again.

Willow - I love blanket fort! Maybe, I should build myself one! Adulting is hard.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I just saw the grief counsellor. I told her I was having an existential crisis and that I didn’t want to talk about the stupid little irritating things that are inconsequential in my life that she keeps asking me about. I said I don’t care about them at all and they hold absolutely no meaning for me so please stop asking me about them, can we please stop focusing on them and talk about the things that are really concerning me. We had a much better session today
Old 12-12-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Glad to hear you had a better session today Willow.
Bet you will sleep much better in a blanket fort MidnightBlue.

I saw my doctor today 'cause I had some concerns. He suspects I have IBS. Gave me some pils, told me to avoid some foods (Don't know if I can give up ice cream) and come back in two weeks. Oh and he orderd an abdominal x-ray too.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Yes I think we should all have blanket forts, I hope you get some sleep MB! I used to sleep a lot better in my campervan for some reason. Maybe it’s like a blanket fort, somewhere to escape from reality for a while...

I hope the belly settles Dragon. I keep an eye on what I eat and sadly dairy does seem to upset my belly a bit too. It doesn’t stop me eating it, I just have to be careful not to do it too often, and be aware of the possible consequences.... however none of it is as bad as the post-wine belly I used to constantly endure on a daily basis
Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.
I hope you got some sleep MB.
Good luck with the ibs Dragon.
Willow glad you had a good session.
Salutations to all the weekenders.
Have a great day.
Vinny
Old 12-12-2018, 10:57 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Perhaps some of the questions the cousellor asked- in the past, may have more meaning in the future Willow.

After much deliberating and 4 practice HUGE letters I never sent- I wrote a 3 page letter and sent in to the psychiatrist I saw for years who supported me with the 'extra mile'. At the time I saw little sense in anything to do with her, but I wrote with my life now- I can see and understand and reflect on those sessions.
Just my thoughts about me.
Grief is such a fluid, unpredictable and dynamic thing.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, weekenders.

I finally got 6 hours of sleep, feel much better.

It's gloomy and snowy, sleepy weather during daytime.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Mr

Glad you're surgery went well PJ. You are a great man. I can only imagine how you're old shrink will feel on getting that letter. What a bloody nice thing to do.

I often used to think I was at my rock bottom. Now I have decided to go the extra mile as you say. Going to be hospitalised for alcoholism next week... Maybe one day I will feel the dynamics of that fluid too. Keep posting you're thoughts on you. It helps (me anyways) .
Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Proud of you vman. Not an easy thing to do. Gals have probs, but guys in Western society have trouble accepting help sometimes. Glad to post- learn more from feed-b and other people's shares- than my own stuff, which is good to because often my thoughts focus and I reach decisions/comclusions when typink.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

VMan, you are an inspiration.
Willow, great that you spoke up for yourself with the counselor. You know what you need … and you've been through a tough time, with really big sadness to deal with. Sober. Wow.
MB, glad you got some sleep! Being tired is terrible … it's when I slip with wine, too. Good luck!
ST, it will be nice to have your issue diagnosed and being on the mend. I hope! And a little ice cream never killed anybody (I hope, also!).
Phoenix, your letter sounds like a lovely thing to do. People so seldom actually thank those who made a real difference in their lives. Bravo.
Hello Mesa, Cap't, and all the Weekenders starting Thursday sober (or not … I'm so happy to start this day with you regardless!).
Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning, just a quit check in. Have a great day y'all, (or hope you had a great day.)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Morning all--headed off to the lake this weekend and first order upon arrival shall be construction of a blanket fort
Old 12-13-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good afternoon from a bright and chilly London.

Willow, I am pleased you got more out of your grief counsellor. I expect a fully trained and qualified 3rd party can really help with perspective.

Good luck with the IBS Sober T, I hope ice cream will not be banished forever.

Glad you got some sleep MidnightBlue. Your gym workouts should help.

That was a really nice thing to do PhoenixJ, so often people's work and help go unappreciated, i'm sure she will be really cheered to read it.

All the best Vinny, this will be like putting money in the bank for the future. You are definitely going to beat this.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Help? What's that? I'm terribad at asking for help. I'll do it myself! Not sure if that's a character fault or just a product of being an only child. Too complicated for me to worry about so I won't worry about it.

The gorillas have settled down, the daily dramas have morphed into a routine that's mostly eat a little snack when they first come out, then lay around for most of the day. There is a little one (3YO) in the group and she gets bored and does a lot of self-entertaining and bleeding off of her excessive energy, but everyone else (five in the group) are pretty chill now. The numbers of regular zoo visitors, staff and volunteers has dwindled, and sometimes I'm there all alone with the gorillas. It's still cool, just less excitement and interactions. All for the best, there are lots of injuries still healing from these rather eventful introductions.

Everyone trying to figure out their place. Only way to do that is with strength. Owie.