Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

7 months sober. I'm a bit nervous for Christmas and I had a dream about drinking beer!

Notices

7 months sober. I'm a bit nervous for Christmas and I had a dream about drinking beer!

Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought it was best to pop along and document this little monster on my shoulder.

I'm doing very well without alcohol. I don't crave it at all. But now it's coming closer to Christmas my usual thing to do is to start stocking up on the crates early and drinking as I go through the pre and post festive period.

I shall not be doing that. Most definitely not. My only problem is I am well aware that I will not drinking. It's been on my mind for the past couple of days. It caused me to have a dream where I was drinking and in the dream I was enjoying the refreshing taste.

I'll tell you one thing ... the cravings for beer come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Sometimes the desire to drink seems so subtle that it actually plays on your mind a lot.

But don't worry. Honestly I will not be drinking. I've been through worse periods sober recently. Christmas is a walk in the park in comparison.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 7 months sober! Drinking dreams are common. You're doing great!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

7 months of recovery is great!

And, you're right that the thoughts can be so subtle and tricky, so paying attention is important. I'm glad you are giving some thought to Christmas and possible situations with alcohol. It will ensure that you are prepared to get through the season and remain sober.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 months!

Sounds like you're well prepared for the holiday season.

Good for you!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 7 months of sobriety. Drinking dreams are indeed common. It's the same also for anyone giving up smoking, you'll dream at some point that you have smoked a cigarette and bizarrely will wake up with what feels like a sore throat!

As for drinking dreams: just acknowledge them for what they are, dreams. It doesn't have to feel like your sobriety is at risk because you've had one.

Christmas can be a nightmare but it will be a great opportunity for you to enjoy the festive season without drinking. If you plan in advance how you are going to handle things it will make you better prepared.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and sharing! I know that it felt awesome to achieve my first holiday season sober- you can choose that and be closing in on 9 mo before you know it, one day and right decision at a time.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi if this is your first sober christmas then what a great place to spend it here with us

I love sober christmas at SR
Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice work on 7 months. Same boat, same river here.

No drinking anymore for either of us. Keep it moving.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

About the only thing I miss, six years in, is hard cider and beer.
Sometimes I substitute sparkling cider in a festive glass and, once in a while, a non a beer.
I know there is a lot of debate about non a, but it doesn’t trigger me and it is only once in a very great while.
The holidays can be fraught, esp. if you have a lot of social and family stuff going on.
I have been known to bring my own beverage to the party, usually soft cider or lemonade.
Hang in there.