Notices

Wilco frontman talks about his recovery and new album

Old 11-30-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wilco frontman talks about his recovery and new album

I quite enjoy Wilco’s music, will have to check out this album. I particularly liked what he said about suffering and then what his fellow patient in rehab said in response. We all have our own hurts. I’ll do mine and you do yours while we support each other through it.

http://on.theatln.tc/cLTC1AN
Old 11-30-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is painfully sublime, benevolent, and brutally beautiful...

"I’d sit in group sessions and listen to other patients talk about their lives, and what they’d endured was beyond anything I could imagine … One guy told us about seeing his father murder his mother when he was nine and that he had his first taste of alcohol that night because his father forced him to drink whiskey, thinking it would make him forget what he’d seen. Hearing a story like that made me ashamed of how little I had had to survive and how much pain I’d derived from so much less actual trauma. What was I gonna say when the group got to me? “Um … I cry a lot. I get scared sometimes. I have headaches, and it makes it hard to make music.” That was the worst of it. I was out of my league.
But when he related this guilt to another patient, that patient was offended:
“Listen to me, ************, listen.” Getting right up in my face. “Mine ain’t about yours. And yours ain’t about mine. We all suffer the same. You don’t get to decide what hurts you. You just hurt. Let me say my ****, and you say your ****, and I’ll be there for you. Okay?”
In this telling, the man offering absolution isn’t drunk, but rather in recovery. There are no bombs. But the underlying story is the same. Tweedy worries his damage is unearned given the wider world’s problems. Yet still, it’s there, and it must be dealt with either way."
Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spider View Post
But when he related this guilt to another patient, that patient was offended:
“Listen to me, ************, listen.” Getting right up in my face. “Mine ain’t about yours. And yours ain’t about mine. We all suffer the same. You don’t get to decide what hurts you. You just hurt. Let me say my ****, and you say your ****, and I’ll be there for you. Okay?”
In this telling, the man offering absolution isn’t drunk, but rather in recovery. There are no bombs. But the underlying story is the same. Tweedy worries his damage is unearned given the wider world’s problems. Yet still, it’s there, and it must be dealt with either way."
This ^^^^^ so much this. I feel I come from so much privilege and still my life has brought me to my knees. I think I should be able to do more for myself and the people around me but this is just a type of arrogance.

We all hurt. It doesn't matter really why but we all need compassion. My foster sister has acted this out to me. I come from the "perfect" family and have struggled with depression and the family my entire life. My sister's mother shot herself in the next room on her 5th birthday. She has listened to my suffering with compassion.

I might need to print the recovering addicts words out and frame them but I will probably replace the ****** with the real words.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oooooh this is good. I love Wilco. My favorite tho is the album of unreleased Guthrie songs that they did, with Billy Bragg. It’s one of my favorite albums ever.

What he’s saying is so important here. Suffering is relative and we all lose if we engage in suffering olympics. Also addict artists of all mediums tend to think they need to keep using in order to be prolific.... and the sad truth is that it’s the opposite. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for this Mera. I just downloaded his new record and I will be reading this tonight.