Notices

Never thought I'd get here

Old 11-29-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never thought I'd get here

Nearly finished my first sober week where I've been attending work and I've gotta say I never thought I'd get here. I didn't think I'd be able to deal with the anxiety and pressure of my job while trying to abstain from alcohol at the same time but I've surprised myself.

I've not even been a month sober but I finally feel like I'm getting my old self back and I can't believe I've felt it so necessary to numb my emotions with alcohol for so long.

I was in such a state I had to force myself to eat and could barely keep food down. Now I'm eating 3 healthy meals a day and I'm actually enjoying food! It's such a relief to not have to plan my life around where I'm going to get my next drink from and how to keep it secret.

Hoping I can stay strong over December with all of the Christmas events happening but I believe I will. After the initial acute withdrawal phase being sober feels great
Old 11-29-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats great to hear noaddedsugar
Best advice I can give is think ahead - its ok to miss a party if you feel unsure about it, but if you do go think about all the likely scenarios before hand and be ready and always have an escape plan

D
Old 11-29-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You're doing a great job so far.
Eating well and I bet your sleep is better as well.
It's paying off at your job and things are sailing right along, as I hope they continue to do for you.

Best to you, and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so proud of you. Keep it up!

The anxiety can be difficult from the job. I know I already said it but great job!

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
Nearly finished my first sober week where I've been attending work and I've gotta say I never thought I'd get here. I didn't think I'd be able to deal with the anxiety and pressure of my job while trying to abstain from alcohol at the same time but I've surprised myself.

I've not even been a month sober but I finally feel like I'm getting my old self back and I can't believe I've felt it so necessary to numb my emotions with alcohol for so long.

I was in such a state I had to force myself to eat and could barely keep food down. Now I'm eating 3 healthy meals a day and I'm actually enjoying food! It's such a relief to not have to plan my life around where I'm going to get my next drink from and how to keep it secret.

Hoping I can stay strong over December with all of the Christmas events happening but I believe I will. After the initial acute withdrawal phase being sober feels great
Old 11-29-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family!

It doesn’t get perfect, But it does get easier

So glad you are feeling better
Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep it going!
Waking up not hungover never gets old.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

Good going, noaddedsugar! Things get so much more interesting when we get sober. Great name you got there too haha. That's how I take my coffee, my tea, my breakfast cereal, pretty much everything.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are on the right track. Yes, food was a very pleasant surprise in sobriety. Its delicious. All of it.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good going! It is a wonderful feeling when you know you doing the right thing. You are giving yourself the gift of sobriety. Giving yourself something instead of thinking that you are taking something away worked well for me. Peace.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!