Notices

Total Rock Bottom.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am through the worst of it. I feel relief now. A big part of my drinking was due to a neglectful mother. She never admitted she had a problem. I always admit it and try to stop, but being banned from my parents house for 7 years takes its toll. Now I have closure.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So pleased you are feeling a little better WL and well done.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am here alone a week after my mother died. I have had condolence calls but will not see any actual family member or person. My mother wanted no funeral. Just me in my apartment dealing with it. I spend all my time alone but never had to deal with something of this magnitude. I don't know how I can do this sober.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You can do it. Prayers to you, stick around and vent here. It has helped me and it can do the same for you.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you can do it sober.
Grief is sad - it's ok to be sad.

I used to be so afraid of being sad - I thought drink was the solution but it only made me sadder.

keep reaching out for support WL - you're not alone
Old 12-01-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My sponsor told me recently, that one of his friends from AA, he has been sober for 25 years. Sober, even when his only son was killed in a car accident, he still never drank and gave up his sobriety. When people say, how did you manage to stay sober all those years even through such grief and tragedy?

He replied that Nothing could ever be so bad as to make him drink, because nothing could be as bad as drinking again. No matter how bad life gets, yes, even losing your own children, it doesn't compare to the depths of despair that being a drunk again is.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I am here alone a week after my mother died. I have had condolence calls but will not see any actual family member or person. My mother wanted no funeral. Just me in my apartment dealing with it. I spend all my time alone but never had to deal with something of this magnitude. I don't know how I can do this sober.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't think you can process grief whilst being drunk all the time, I tried after my mother died when I was also living alone. All I achieved was dragging out all that horrible pain for an entire year, it was torture and I would not want you to have to go through that.

I wish I would have known at the time that, although it's incredibly painful for a while, experiencing those emotions sober allows you to move onto a place where they are bearable much faster than getting sh*tfaced every night and weeping inconsolably at 3am.

Sending you big hugs.