Notices

Getting support

Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting support

Everyone in my house wants to quit drinking. It would be wierd to say that I didn't have any support.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No such thing as too much support.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Habiscus View Post
Everyone in my house wants to quit drinking. It would be wierd to say that I didn't have any support.
Being around other alcoholics who want to quit may or may not be support. There were plenty in AA who wanted to quit, but kept falling off the wagon. Like you, they wanted support, but as an alcoholic, I never felt a lot of support from them toward me. Mostly, they just seemed to be thrashing about looking for a life line.

So let me ask a couple things. Why does it seem weird to you that your family is not a source of support? Is there something weird in your life, or are you just saying it might seem weird to others.

If there is something weird, I'm not really sure where you are going with this.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me, truly getting sober was a very personal choice and decision - mostly unrelated to the environment around me. Certainly it can be much more difficult to quit when you are surrounded by others that drink, but it is possible. AKA - the power to do it is already there inside you now!
Old 11-27-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, wanting to quit drinking and making the decision to quit drinking and doing what needs to be done for that to happen, are two different things. It's the action (verb) that will count in the end. You can lead the way by "doing it". Peace and encouragement sent your way.