Notices

Alcoholic sister's life spinning out of control

Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic sister's life spinning out of control

I will be four years sober next month. I know from experience that spouses cannot demand that you get sober, the motivation has to come from within.

Well, my sister got the ultimatum from her husband. She suffers from anxiety and ADD and uses a cocktail of prescription drugs and alcohol to cope. She is too mentally disabled to work and spends most of her time in bed.

I spent an hour on the phone with her this afternoon listening to her tale of woe. When I suggested that the alcohol was worsening her anxiety problem, she got very defensive. Right now she is trying to "manage" her alcohol intake just enough to keep the husband from leaving.

Sigh, any advice about how to support, but not enable her? She has a history of moving from one enabling man to the next. But at her age (in her 60s) I don't think that trick is going to work for her anymore.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ground,

She is in a pretty deep hole that could just collapse in on her.

You know how hard it is to quit initially. Your sis has committed that ultimate sin of mixing booze and anti d's. The half life of some of those meds is months. Folks can't even quit those cold turkey or risk going into shock etc.

Your sis is probably going to have to lose everything, get clean via some recovery center and then work to stay clean. But, she hasn't even taken step 1 of admitting she is lost.

You can't save her. At this point she has to save herself.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No advice here. You know it has to come from within and she's not even ready to admit she has a problem.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have to agree with Suki. There's not much you can do, other than tell her you love her and it hurts to see her poisoning herself.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your 4 years sober Groundhog, that's a fantastic achievement. As others have said, there's probably not much - if anything you can do at this point. She likely needs to lose it all in order to want to quit unfortunately. As much as you want to help, you probably have to cut her off too unless she's truly willing to quit. Her drinking is very likely the cause of her other mental problems as well, so that's mostly just an excuse too.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Intervention?

I might take a hit for suggesting this but I recently read a really good post on SR about someone whose family did an intervention. It’s at least worth a conversation to see if it is an option in her situation. She may need detox so a doctor should be consulted too.

But I agree, one has to see the problem and want to fix it.

-Otter
Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Her drinking is very likely the cause of her other mental problems as well, so that's mostly just an excuse too.
Hi Scott,

No, her mental problems do precede the drinking. I don't know why her doctors don't insist that she stop drinking before they prescribe her pills. Perhaps she minimizes the drinking problem when she talks to them. The latest plan is yet another psych evaluation and talk therapy. I really don't see how that will help when she is literally pouring more anxiety down her throat.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OtterIsland View Post
I might take a hit for suggesting this but I recently read a really good post on SR about someone whose family did an intervention. It’s at least worth a conversation to see if it is an option in her situation. She may need detox so a doctor should be consulted too.

But I agree, one has to see the problem and want to fix it.

-Otter
She actually let me take her to an AA meeting years ago, but it didn't stick. She definitely had this look on her face that said "I'm not like these people."
Old 11-26-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Hi Scott,

No, her mental problems do precede the drinking. I don't know why her doctors don't insist that she stop drinking before they prescribe her pills. Perhaps she minimizes the drinking problem when she talks to them. The latest plan is yet another psych evaluation and talk therapy. I really don't see how that will help when she is literally pouring more anxiety down her throat.
My anxiety proceeded my drinking too, so I get that for sure. But the alcohol made it far worse than it ever needed to be. So I guess I should have said her drinking is very likely making things worse.

Therapy could possibly help, if nothing else it might get her actually thinking about the drinking problem in a different view.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that Groundhog. Praying for you and for her, hope you both can find peace along the way.

-Otter

Old 11-26-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
My anxiety proceeded my drinking too, so I get that for sure. But the alcohol made it far worse than it ever needed to be. So I guess I should have said her drinking is very likely making things worse.

Therapy could possibly help, if nothing else it might get her actually thinking about the drinking problem in a different view.
Yes, I agree that the drinking is making things much, much worse than they ever should have been.

But it's not just the drinking. I hate to say this, but I think all the medical attention over the years has made it worse too. She seems to use "I'm crazy" as an excuse for all her bad choices.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OtterIsland View Post
So sorry to hear that Groundhog. Praying for you and for her, hope you both can find peace along the way.

-Otter

I'm starting to feel that prayer is all I got left.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
I hate to say this, but I think all the medical attention over the years has made it worse too. She seems to use "I'm crazy" as an excuse for all her bad choices.
She could certainly be using the illness as an excuse to keep drinking or taking the other drugs - we are masters of making up excuses, right?

One of the things it took me a long time to learn - several years after quitting drinking actually - is that i'm not "crazy" even though I have a diagnosed mental illness. AKA - I could fix my problem. I wish/hope she can find that some day too.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wish I could offer some support or words of wisdom. This disease is cunning and insidious.

When my family attempted an "intervention" and thus "forced" me into rehab, I did it for them. I did it because I felt bad that I made my husband cry, I felt bad when my aunt called the police on me because I bought alcohol after refusing to go. I went because they wanted me to go.

It was an unsucessful adventure. It cost a lot of money and now my relationship with my aunt has been completely destroyed and I am wandering if I can fix the one I have with my husband. (I am harboring a lot of resentment).

I got sober because I didnt want to raise a daughter as an alcoholic. I don't want to be a dead beat mom like my parents were.

Your sister has to find her reason and unfortunately I don't think you can help her find it.

She may find a reason still and when she does you would be the best person to help her find that initial help she will need.

I wish her kindness and clarity.