Notices

1 Month Sober

Old 11-20-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Month Sober

After consuming bottle after bottle of Jagger litterally around the clock landed me in a bit of trouble I finally realized I needed to admit I am an alcoholic. I’ve been to a few AA meetings and find them inspiring and a very comforting place to be, I intend to continue attending. I have also enrolled in some group therapy through my local addiction centre. My saving grace however has been my Doctor. She prescribed me Gabapentin. I take 300mg 3 times daily. Since the first day I began taking the drug I have had no cravings and or desire for alcohol. My depression and anxiety are in check as well. My mood is good, something I haven’t experienced with out alcohol in years. I’m really hoping that this continues to work for me as I want nothing more than to remain sober! Has anyone else had success using Gabapentin to remain sober?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share but welcome aboard JDogg

D
Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Gabapentin for pain and for my anxiety, and I think it has helped me. It may have a calming affect upon your nervous system overall. I have been taking 600 mg x 3 but reduced to x2 daily as I was having some side-effects of being tired and foggy. My next step down will be 900 mg daily to see how I do with the anxiety and lessened side-effects, while lower than that caused me some depression. I'm glad that it has been helpful to you and offer my experience as only my own. My physicians are aware of my alcoholism and monitor my entire experience.

To quit drinking, however, I had to make a decision that I cannot pick up again, medication or not, as I'm tired of the living hell it was making for me. I think it takes a lot more than just medical intervention to get and to remain sober. While you are feeling good, why not take advantage of other aspects of recovery that may help you to refrain from drinking, if that is really what you want to do. SR is full of resources along these lines that you can research and avail yourself of now to hopefully prevent a relapse of destructive drinking and how to live without the alcohol. It's definitely worth it to me.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Jdogg. I'm so glad you've decided to lead a sober life.

SR is a great place for encouragement. I hope posting & reading here will help you remain vigilant & determined.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on a month sober!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats in a month.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No experience of Gabapentin either, but well done
Old 11-20-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was prescribed something to help with cravings within the past year or two, but I think I was using them as a crutch and still didn't accept that I needed to stop drinking so it had not worked for me at that time.

I am glad that Gabapentin is working for you, and that you are benefiting from AA! Congrats on a month sober, that is awesome!!
Old 11-21-2018, 12:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

no exp

welcome
Old 11-21-2018, 03:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No experience with the medication but it sounds like you’re doing great!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain and stopped taking it for a while because it was making me really tired all the time. Then I started taking it again a while ago and noticed independently that it was helping me drink less when I was drinking, and crave alcohol less. Then I found out that it is prescribed for alcoholism! I keep meaning to go in and get my prescription refilled.