Notices

Yfycuvj iv

Old 11-21-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
So, I just dumped what I had left. I guess I’ll have none for tomorrow morning. It’s going to be tough. I am the true alcoholic. Pretty sad... I’m worried about waking up to no booze.
I was exactly where you are. I was petrified of waking up with no booze. I had a 10 day drinking binge where I was drinking around the clock. I would go to bed drunk, wake up at 5am in a dreadfully ill state, I would be dry retching the minute I tried to get out of bed, I'd literally crawl to the kitchen and pour myself a drink, feeling like I was in the darkest pits of hell and there was no way out, I was begging for help. I was drinking a bottle of wine in the space of 30 minutes and even that wasn't making me feel better. I knew when I got to the stage when I was drinking vodka and wine in the morning and that it was no longer "working" and making me feel better, buy just more and more ill, that I was well and truly in trouble.

I called my local doctor centre and said I needed help, and I felt suicidal, I exaggerated my self harming thoughts, but I needed to get their attention, the doctor called me back and told me to come me in, doctor examined me and then told me to go to hospital. SO yeah I've been there, I understand. The only way to break the cycle is to stop drinking, but I would strongly suggest seeking medical assistance tomorrow to detox if you are at the stage where you are needing to drink in the morning to function. Medication can help just get you through that crucial 5 - 12 hour window from your last drink where you physical withdrawal is at its worst.

Just hear this, I got through that first day with the help of pill from hospital, and then on day 2 I went to AA. Shaking and scared and sweaty, but sober. Desperate for help. I was told I never had to feel that way again, and I haven't. You don't have to be in this position again. You will and can get better, just don't drink.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I appreciate the support. I went to my doctor months ago and he gave me nothing. He just told me to stop and I’d get better. The withdrawals... maybe he didn’t understand my desperation? I’m headed to bed now. It’ll be a holiday for most, so tomorrow I don’t expect any replies. I’m not in USA, wish I had some days off though. Happy Thanksgiving to any American friends out there.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If your w/d gets bad, please get medical help. Tell your wife you've stopped drinking and need to get thru the first few days. Usually by day four, you'll be feeling better. The physical w/d is no fun so expect to feel like crap. But, like I said, if you feel worse, or really bad, go to the emergency room of the nearest hospital and get help.

Whatever you do - don't drink!
Old 11-21-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've also been where you are man. Early morning drinking, family I'm supposed to be taking care of, work looming Over All. It's a brutal, brutal life. I feel for you, because I know just how deep the amount of pain and suffering that you're enduring is. Some of the worst of it is that it's all self-inflicted. But there's a way out, there really is.

looking back, Scott's posts often got under my skin when I read them when I was drinking. What it showed me is that there was getting at something inside me, something that had to be changed. There's a better life out there for you. You just have to stop drinking. Anyway that works. Pulling for you man.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have been to the ER more times than I wish to admit. But they did help me detox safely. They can also help you into a detox facility. If your wife goes with you she can tell the ER docs she will handle your meds and help you with the detox. Some drs are hesitant to prescribe benzos to addicts who might abuse them. Having her there should help.

Don't be proud. Do what you have to do to not take that drink tomorrow. The first few days are rough but you can do it. I'll be thinking of you!
Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi UhOh. I’m coming into this thread late. Dumping what you had left took a lot of courage right there. A good first step! Have you had a chance to read Scott’s post above? It’s got some fantastic suggestions. You can get medical help for withdrawals. You can call 911 maybe or Salvation Army and get help with detox.

By the way, I have to admit that a the end of my drinking days, I had also started drinking early in the morning, around 6 am like you. There were times I didn’t care anymore if I lived. I’m now 22 months sober. I needed support though. Most of us do. Don’t try to do this all by yourself. There’s so much help out there if you will just accept it. I know you can do this! There is a much better life waiting for you if you will accept it.

By the way, you do not need to be sober to go to an AA meeting. I think your wife may simply not know this. Just go. Many folks start out this way.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Best to see a GP as well.
Support to you.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey uh-oh, I was glad to see you posting in the November class thread. Stick with us; we’re here for you! And I second everyone’s advise to reach out for medical help if withdrawals get too bad. You can do this! 🤗
Old 11-22-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
under new management

It’ll be a holiday for most, so tomorrow I don’t expect any replies.
(((UhOh))) take heart, one of the great things about this board is that SR never sleeps and it never takes a holiday!

People are here 24/7 365 days a year.

rooting for you
Old 11-22-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

stay connected here and let us know how you are doing. and get medical help if you need it......how ARE you doing today?
Old 11-22-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Not drinking but pretty horrible. Extremely stressed out at work.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Not drinking but pretty horrible. Extremely stressed out at work.
sorry, uhoh. Maybe you can stay close, keep posting. It helps me when I’m stressed.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

you likely have heard the recommendations for lots of water, being hydrated, eat some if you can, blahblah....not easy to learn new ways of dealing with stress.