Notices

Day 22

Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 22

Hi friends. I posted here a couple weeks ago. I'm on day 22 after a 4 day relapse, before that I would go a month at a time and have a couple and go right back to abstaining. Ive not had any cravings at all and read and post on many sober forums daily.

Any way, a week ago I got the vivitrol shot. I have experienced really bad nausea, vomiting, fatigue. I have been feeling really down also so those side effects havent helped lift my spirits. I can usually cheer myself up but I am way low. I keep thinking about how alcohol has destroyed almost every friendship and good opportunity I've had in the past. Ive lost alot of good friends and it really hurts. I guess I'm having trouble letting go of the shame and guilt and moving forward. I'm just so dang sad! I'm 32 and in a wonderful loving relationship, I have a job, and an apartment and food. Ive just never been down in the dumps this long. What do you guys do to pull yourself out of a funk? Then I also worry I am not doing enough "work" on myself but at this point I am having trouble functioning on a basic level. The sinks been full of dishes for 4 days...

Thanks for reading. It helps to share. Good day to you all
Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Sorry your feeling so low MA, the feelings your having will pass with more sober time but it's completely normal to feel this way early on. It's just part of the process and I promise you it won't always be like this, it will get better.

For me in the first few months all I did was take care of the basics, nothing else. Trying to do to much at once just overloads your mind and wears you out. All I did initially was take care of my core needs. Getting up and going to bed at the same time every day, making sure I had breakfast and a shower every morning. Forced myself to do things like the washing up and some household chores every day. A 30 minute walk every day to clear my head, get my feel better chemicals moving in my brain and body. Make sure I have a good evening meal, no processed food and lots of veggies. That was it for the first month to 6 weeks.

Once the basics were more ingrained in my daily behaviours and I started to feel less out of control and had a comfortable routine I started to add in the "working on myself" stuff bit by bit. Take your time, trust the process and understand getting well and sober takes time and won't happen overnight. I got so used to "fixing things" with alcohol which was immediate gratification and it took me time to be comfortable waiting for the results and learning patience.

You can do this, one day at a time! xx
Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay the course MustAbide-I started feeling a bit better after 30 days. It takes time for your brain chemicals to rebalance I'm just over 7 months and my good days are just now beginning to outnumber the not so good days. The depression your experiencing will begin to diminish with continued abstinence.

Personally I chose not to go the medication route, however many others have and benefitted. Hang in there! it does get better.

Patience!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Apollo, manta, thank you for your kind and helpful replies! I do need to get out and walk more. Also get more of a schedule down. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise helps me MustAbide - even a walk around the block?

D
Old 11-20-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are right, Dee

Going to get up early tomorrow, make some hot tea, and brave the cold for a brisk walk. Will attempt to incorporate it into my daily routine.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would go through a very low point after nights of heavy drinking, that I called my "shame spiral" - beating myself up mentally for ranging from days to weeks about what I had done that night, and then thinking of all the stupid things I've done to myself and others due to alcohol... now that I am sober, when I start to feel down I just constantly remind myself that there is absolutely nothing I can do to change the past, but as long as I stay on the clean and sober path that I am on, at least I will not have to add anything to the list of alcohol related grievances... that sometimes help to pull me out of funks. If not, I just watch my favorite movies, read, or force myself to clean to get my mind off of it. I hope you feel better soon MA!
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Darling. Will definitely remind myself next time that the past cannot be changed. I so often forget.

watching Robin Williams standup on youtube is getting me thru today
Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MustAbide View Post
Hi friends. I posted here a couple weeks ago. I'm on day 22 after a 4 day relapse, before that I would go a month at a time and have a couple and go right back to abstaining. Ive not had any cravings at all and read and post on many sober forums daily.

Any way, a week ago I got the vivitrol shot. I have experienced really bad nausea, vomiting, fatigue. I have been feeling really down also so those side effects havent helped lift my spirits. I can usually cheer myself up but I am way low. I keep thinking about how alcohol has destroyed almost every friendship and good opportunity I've had in the past. Ive lost alot of good friends and it really hurts. I guess I'm having trouble letting go of the shame and guilt and moving forward. I'm just so dang sad! I'm 32 and in a wonderful loving relationship, I have a job, and an apartment and food. Ive just never been down in the dumps this long. What do you guys do to pull yourself out of a funk? Then I also worry I am not doing enough "work" on myself but at this point I am having trouble functioning on a basic level. The sinks been full of dishes for 4 days...

Thanks for reading. It helps to share. Good day to you all
Forget the shame and guilt. You can be a new creation, with a transformed mind, with values and purpose.

https://www.prageru.com/videos/what-matters-most-life