Notices

Physical Appearance Better Sober

Old 06-30-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I tried my best to keep an exercise regimen while I was drinking which I think is atypical of addicts and alcoholics. In my 20s it was easier to put in the effort but by the time I hit my mid 30s I was going through the motions. Age and alcohol abuse were just taking too much of a toll on me.

By the time I got through detox I had lost all of my muscle mass. I signed up with a new gym (I wanted a fresh start) and made fitness one of my initial goals. Now at the age of 40 I'm lifting harder than I ever did in my drunken 20s and I have the physique to show for it. After an intense leg workout the testosterone will be in overdrive to the point where I want to run naked in the woods and find a deer to kill with my bare hands.

Forgive me for my vanity but I wanted to share an anecdote. I incorporate forearm curls into my workouts to improve my grip strength...but not really. Whenever I run into someone who hasn't seen me in awhile I look at their eyes and notice that they will notice my forearms. "You look good have you been losing weight?"
Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was just watching a vid and the guy was talking about the compund effect of drinking. I def know that I'm so much healthier off the drink. Like everyone has said you get some much out of it.
The worst part of drinking is how slowly the effects take over and you don't see how you slowly look worse each week/ month but whenever I stop even for a few days I start to look so much better.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Over the years my weight has fluctuated depending on my alcohol consumption. I can easily drink 12 beers a day. A few months of that and I gain 20, 30 pounds. A motivation for me to stop now is that I am about 20 pounds overweight
Old 07-01-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There's no question that for me this plays a part in my sobriety. And I am not ashamed of it in any way. The suffering fool I was as a drinker - puffy faced, blood red eyes, dry skin, fluctuating weight - it's all gone now that I'm sober. And I'm in the gym 5/7 days a week on a hardcore progressive weight lifting regimen. I'm present for my family, focused for my job and don't look too bad on the beach for a 42yo father of 3. Sobriety is everything.