Notices

Came to believe ....

Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Came to believe ....

That a power greater than myself could restore me to sanity.

The question for this thread, is who is YOUR higher power? A religious God? The Buddah? The Universe, the solar system? Nature? A black hole?

Initially in AA, I was agnostic, and then when I did step 2 I stated that my higher power was the universe because I didn't know what else to say. Now I'm really giving step 2 a second thought.

I think I do believe in God, a God that is good and wants the best for us, and wants us to be more connected with one another. But also a God that will not do everything FOR you.

Who is your higher power, and how does praying to your higher power contribute to your sobriety?

*for the purpose of this thread, I don't really want to hear from atheists/agnostics....I really need faith right now*
Old 11-18-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I came back to believe in the God of my childhood. The one who loved me no matter what. I don't consider myself religious and don't go to church, but feel a deep spiritual connection with nature and its denizens. I also have a deep connection to my critters and credit them for being inspiration to me. They live in the moment and glory in everything as if it were the first time.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

I still consider the universe and karma to be my higher power. What I mainly came to believe is that we need to let it go...who or what that is to doesn’t matter as much as having faith that your burden will be relieved and we will be guided on the right path if that is where we need to be. I know it doesn’t make much sense but neither does the idea of an all knowing being in the form of a human male 🤷🏾*♂️
Old 11-19-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
I still consider the universe and karma to be my higher power. What I mainly came to believe is that we need to let it go...who or what that is to doesn’t matter as much as having faith that your burden will be relieved and we will be guided on the right path if that is where we need to be. I know it doesn’t make much sense but neither does the idea of an all knowing being in the form of a human male 🤷🏾*♂️
All my failures and successes are a combination of my choices and a bit of good or bad dumb luck. If something is wrong with my life, it's my responsibility to take steps to fix it. If I need help, I seek out help from a source that has a proven track record and demonstrable expertise. Many observable and predictable things are more powerful than I, and I have a limited amount of actual control over things outside of my own choices. And at that, some philosophers would argue that I have no control over my own choices either. However, I'll ignore them, until they can actually demonstrate they know what they are talking about.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

For now my higher power is the wider recovery community, fellow comrades from rehab that after 6 months I still go to a weekly online meeting with, the community of SR and the old timers with truck loads of wisdom and patience. I guess you could say in it’s rawest form “Connection” is my higher power.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello. For me higher power is connection with higher self . We all possess it as humans but we loose connection . It is visible in all traditions and some folks are able to expierience transcendalism ... without substance involved ..it is a gift. We all have it . From my expierience . Big hugs x D
Old 11-19-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allishope73 View Post
Hello. For me higher power is connection with higher self .
I might accept that. The higher self where our ability to choose can override our "inner self" Inner self being the place where our self defeating needs fight with our basic knowledge of right and wrong.

I used to think our inner self ran the whole show, often bursting forth with illogical responses and strategies to create mayhem. But I like the idea of a higher self, often not tapped because it's hard to make thought out choices rather than just letting ourselves be pushed around by the winds of convenience and knee jerk responses.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After my injuries and at the beginning of sobriety which started 3 years ago, I started researching certain topics about the world we live in and our history. I came to believe their must be a higher power. I don't know the form in which in comes, but it exists. It has to. my 2 cents.