Notices

Trying to understand

Old 11-18-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to understand

hello
i am the wife of a 60 year old man who died about 5 weeks with liver cancer.
he was diagnosed with hep C 12 years ago ,right about the time we got together .
He chose not to have the treatment for Hep C and seemed to think he didn’t have it.
in other words he ignored it, never went to the dr, never had blood work .
he continued to drink until one day he felt terribly unwell and with everyday he felt worse , then knew something was wrong and the diagnosis of stage 4 liver cancer was made.
He quit drinking that day, had 11 chemo treatments which as he said he knew were going to kill him, went on huge doses of THC cannabis , made contact with a natural path dr . Plant diets. Supplements etc
Fought with everything he had to beat it and did get a few more months more than what was said at the diagnosis.
His cancer had also spread from the liver to other areas.
i am trying so hard to understand it.. we were together 10 years. He chose not to talk about it and I accepted that .
i am hoping someone can help me understand it.. it wasn’t like he just sat back and accepted it .
So does it make sense that the reason he did not choose to get the hep C treated was because he would have had to ( or at be expected to) quit alcohol altogether ?
if anyone has any ideas or insight please enlighten me.
i loved him very much.
thank you
Old 11-18-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't explain it. But I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't know if you have to abstain from alcohol while getting HepC treatment. My understanding is that the treatment is somewhat unpleasant, so perhaps he didn't want to go that route.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

There's no way we can know for sure, Breathe. I'm sorry I have no insight to share, but I do share your pain and sadness. I'm glad you posted.