Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-17-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
From Part 1:

Thanks I was puzzling over this part 1, part 2, part 3 stuff.

So this seems like these must be the most popular threads as they have over 500 posts in a half of a month. Is this "where it all happens" then? I take it there is not an OP that creates a central topic. So do people just take the thread wherever they want? (Within reason, of course).
Hi Driguy

yeah these are community threads I guess for want of a better word - one for each month since July 2008 now.

They are pretty popular, especially in the initial month.

We never close a monthly thread but most groups do tend to wind down over the years.

We have other community threads too - Over and Under One Year...etc

There's no OP as such - it's a support thread idea as Kaily said for those new to quitting or quitting - we mainly talk recovery, but sometimes other life stuff creeps in too.

The 500 post limit is an arbitrary one - simply helps threads from becoming too long and unwieldy.

Any other questions, just ask 'em

D
Old 11-17-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I would like to join this group I am feeling inspired already by reading your posts. It's Sunday lunch time here and you are all likely to be asleep. Clear path I relates to what you said about being on SR but not really committing to sobriety. Today is day 1 again. Feeling exhausted Tomorrow should be better. I will make myself do a few things so I get more sleep tonight. Looking forward to talking to you all
Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I would like to join this group I am feeling inspired already by reading your posts. It's Sunday lunch time here and you are all likely to be asleep. Clear path I relates to what you said about being on SR but not really committing to sobriety. Today is day 1 again. Feeling exhausted Tomorrow should be better. I will make myself do a few things so I get more sleep tonight. Looking forward to talking to you all
Welcome, sweetichick. This is a wonderful group, and they’ve helped me stay on track when I’ve been feeling tempted. Keep posting; we’re here for you.
:-)
Old 11-17-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

3 weeks alcohol free today. No cravings, not struggling. Very happy.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Bonnie
Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Congrats Minerva
Old 11-17-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you've joined us, sweetichick!

Congrats on wrapping up week 3, Minerva99! That's amazing!

Goodnight, my November friends. Thanks for helping me stay sober today!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
welcome to the group, you will find lots of support here. As for me right now, I’m spending time with friends. They are drinking and I’m just on sitting here wanting to leave but don’t want to be rude. I really have no desire to drink but I really want to spend some time alone.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

3 weeks is great, Minerva.

Ghostface, it sounds like you should just go. You put in an appearance; could you just say you’re tired and excuse yourself?

Anyway, It feels great to be heading off to bed sober. Playing the tape forward takes practice, but I find myself getting better at it.

Going to bed drunk, waking up several times feeling like a miserable and depressed screw up, then the hangover the next morning. Feeling disappointed in myself, guilty, scared. Thinking NEVER AGAIN, while knowing it’s a lie.

Vs.

Going to bed sober, sleeping through the night, waking up refreshed. Feeling in control, confident, and clear-headed. Thinking about all the cool things I get to do with my day, with my week, with the rest of my life.

F**k cravings. Drinking sucks.

Lots of love to y’all. Goodnight.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Welcome RAL! I can imagine that your a bit jet-lagged and hopefully the adrenaline of being in NY will get you through. Enjoy yourself!
Thank you clear path. I hope you are getting through the weekend ok. Each one sobet makes us stronger.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi all. Hope you all got through Saturday night. Many have struggled but hope you won through. It does get easier although there are always testing times they get more fleeting and reduce in intensity.

we went out for a meal pre theatre early evening. Italian when I would have white wine. I had sparkling water. Then in the theatre Mr ral got drinks at the bar. I was tempted. A g and t with the show?NO. More sparkling water. Have had the most fantastic evening seeing springsteen. I cannot put into words how wonderful he was. so raw and emotional. An autobiography almost with songs in between his stories. Just wow. The theatre was so small you could hear him when he sometimes moved away from the microphone.

I cried and I never cry at tv or movies as some people do. It really moved me. I feel quite raw and sure if I'd been drinking I wouldn't as would have been numb with the drink. Thinking I was having a great time but really just emotionally numb .

Sorry I'm going on and don't mean to bore anyone. It was my first concert. Well it wasn't really a concert or a theatre show just something unique . I have so many strange feelings tonight about life sobriety commitment to sobriety . Good feelings.

I feel physically and emotionally drained. Good night all.x
Old 11-17-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
3 weeks is great, Minerva.

Ghostface, it sounds like you should just go. You put in an appearance; could you just say you’re tired and excuse yourself?
I ended up leaving, too many mixed emotions right now and all the alcohol almost made the mistake of going to the liquor store on my way home to sneak a drink then I thought of the seizure I had and freaked me out from my last binged and it freaked me out. I ended up in the E.R. It’s cool to see everyone enjoy themselves and act a fool, but I’m there with a straight face dying to get home and do more productive things. Seeing women from my past, my mother passing and being heart broken from a previous relationship has taken a toll on me, but I’m using that energy as fuel to better myself. I’m thankful for this forum as I can always escape and vent. I went almost a year sober in the past and I can do it again.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

RAL! Your description of the show........thank you. I've always seen Springsteen in a big concert venue and he has a way of touching the audience, even in that type of setting. I can't imagine what it would be like in the venue and format you are describing. I hope you can internalize your experience and carry it with you, knowing that this was part of the early stages of your new sober life. The emotions and joy you felt were felt sober, while you were 100% present. That's how life is supposed to be experienced.

I'm so jealous, but so happy for you.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

GhostFace, you made it through a rough night, and good for you for reaching out. I'm sorry for all of the difficulty that you've gone through recently, and you've shown amazing resolve to better yourself through it.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

Going to bed drunk, waking up several times feeling like a miserable and depressed screw up, then the hangover the next morning. Feeling disappointed in myself, guilty, scared. Thinking NEVER AGAIN, while knowing it’s a lie.

Vs.

Going to bed sober, sleeping through the night, waking up refreshed. Feeling in control, confident, and clear-headed. Thinking about all the cool things I get to do with my day, with my week, with the rest of my life.

F**k cravings. Drinking sucks.

Can I get an Amen! A-M-E-N
Old 11-18-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Day 14 - Good morning friends. Really productive day yesterday, as I checked all but two items off of my morning 'to do' list. The day doesn't always go 100% as planned, so I've decided that it's okay if a few items have to roll over to the next day.

Last night was a bit lonely, even with the grand-pups around. Didn't have anything in the house to eat, so I made a quick trip to the grocery store. Same store that's been the scene of the crime in the past. Extensive liquor department. Fleeting, very fleeting, thought of a little something to help with the loneliness. Instead, found a good salmon filet, some veggies to go with it, and got the heck out of there. Came back home, prepared dinner, and binge-watched a show that I started watching on NetFlix.

One of the parts of my recovery plan that I don't have very well defined right now is the social part of it. I'm blessed to have a good relationship with my family, but we're not super close, in that we keep each other at arms length, when it gets right down to our deepest, darkest emotions. I don't have any real friends to speak of, outside of work friends. For me, "socializing" ends up being a lame attempt at getting out and about, to a coffee shop, bookstore, or whatever, and sitting alone with coffee or a book, watching other people interacting, and doing what normal, social people do. This part of my life was not very well developed in my youth and, lord knows, I haven't given it a chance to develop in my 30+ year drinking career. Those first few beers, at a high school party so many (many) years ago, brought with them the promise of a way to fit in. What a lie. What a total, life-destroying lie.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Oh, RAL. I loved reading about your evening. This is how things are meant to be experienced. It sounds so wonderful.

Ghostface, good on you for leaving. No need to remain in situations that you aren’t enjoying. And good for you, not stopping at the liquor store. I can so relate — you hold your resolve for a while, then once you’re alone in your car, it’s so easy just to turn into that liquor store parking lot. But you didn’t do that; you held strong. You’ve got this.

As for me, not much going on here. We’re going out to lunch today at my favorite healthy restaurant, running errands, playing with the kids and dog.

We do eat out a lot, and many would see this as a challenge. Actually, it is a challenge, but since we eat out so much, I feel I need to get used to doing it sober. The good thing is that I used to eat very little to save my calories for alcohol. Now I’m eating normal size meals, and guess what — food is good!

Anyway, Day 6. Have a great day!
Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone :)

Bonniefloyd… I so agree with you about encouragement! It really can work both ways. I’m so glad you are enjoying Allen Carr’s book. It’s a difficult listen and I’ve been wondering if it’s an easier read. I am also considering Alcohol Lied to Me. I can’t think of the author’s name right now. You were the first person I thought of about the work thing because you had JUST mentioned your husband’s! I have another big one coming up in the January/February timeframe – it’s an overnight. The other night definitely encouraged me! That is SO AWESOME that you didn’t order wine! We eat out A LOT and every time I try to give up alcohol, I also try to not eat out or avoid certain restaurants we frequent because there is such a connection with drinking/eating out for me and I am convinced that eating out has contributed greatly to my alcohol abuse! I hope that made sense. My oldest is asking me about breakfast while I’m trying to type! LOL OH, and speaking of him and wine, he was really bummed out (over the girlfriend) and wanted to go to Olive Garden last night, which we did, and I wanted to order wine SO BAD! I didn’t. More on that in a few… Love, love, LOVE #49! You are so right!!!

ClearPath64… I love checking things off my list! I hear you on the reading/research/studying of addiction. I feel like in expert on paper, but have very little practical experience! At least in the staying alcohol-free part. I, too, used to get annoyed with that question –you’d be surprise how many things annoy me on this subject! I can so relate to everything you read. It feels so good not to be alone in my thinking. I love your response to RAL’s post about the show. It all gives me chills in a good way! OMGoodness, #56. I’ve got to come back to this because I’ve run out of time! Thank you ClearPath64 for sharing :)

ReadyAtLast… I hope you're having a wonderful time in NYC! Great job getting through the airport scene! ((( hugs ))) I love your post and you didn’t bore me at all! I was captivated by every word! I cannot wait to see my favorite band of all time completely AF! I can’t wait! You’re post makes me SO HAPPY! I was really worried for you. I’m worried for me. I’m worried for all of us. I want us all to be free so badly! I am so freaking amazing by your strength this weekend! You strengthen me!

orderfororder… I will also chime in on the book recommendation! Rational Recovery was a refreshing read. I love to feel empowered and I liked it’s simplicity. The only thing is, as much as I love the idea of changing my thinking and “SNAP! I’m cured!” I feel like I do need a little more (ie. support, tools, planning). I’m so, so happy that you were able to get an even better job! That’s so awesome :)

Citrus… Great plans! What audiobook are you reading?

DriGuy… Welcome! I’m so glad you are here! :)

Scott2295… I so get the vacation = drinking thing. I am very worried about mine as well. I keep trying to do lots of positive (alcohol-free) and negative (drinking alcohol) imagery about the upcoming trip to strengthen my resolve.

CaseyW… Your post made me feel happy! What a great morning and plans for a perfect day! You got it… “No matter what!” Oh, poo. Just got to the post about work being frustrating. I can so relate. I had a really frustrating day too! I’m so glad neither of us let it derail us! Forward motion! Today has to be better for us both :)

Kaily… How are you?

Themechanic… I love deer! I think they are so beautiful. My sister and BIL just got back from Japan, where the deer roam freely through the streets! I didn’t know they were regarded as sacred by the Japanese!

GhostFace… That sounds like a great day! I hear you on beating the demons! I think it’s very wise to only work on one thing. I’ve tried so many times to do more and just totally crashed and burned in frustration. I’m just now getting to the post about being with friends and them drinking. I can also relate to not wanting to be in that environment and just wanting some time to be alone. I’m so proud of you for making it through that! ((( hugs )))

Dee74… I was a member of the July 2008 thread! OMGoodness. Time has flown. I think of the members of that thread so often.

sweetichick… Welcome back! I’m so glad you are here! I have been ambivalent for a really long time. I can so relate. Let’s do this!

Minerva99… Way to go! That is really awesome :)

I'll be back after breakfast! :)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Bonniefloyd... I feel like we're on the same plane so often! I was going to elaborate about my restaurant experience when I came back and you said it perfectly!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey Clearpath, are there any groups you can join to meet people? Do you have any hobbies that might get you out socializing? Or maybe you could take a class and learn something new? I keep hearing about how alcohol isolates people, and I guess it takes time to rebuild this part of your life. Just keep taking care of yourself. Your salmon dinner sounds really nice. :-)