Notices

Weekender Thread 16-19 November 2018

Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Weekender Thread 16-19 November 2018

Hi There!
I'd like to welcome anyone new to SR and new to this thread.

Weekends can be a tough time, and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier

If you've never jumped into a weekender thread before - no time like today...do it now!

D
Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!

Thank you, Dee!

Tomorrow I will celebrate five years sober!

It’ll be a sound and sober weekend for me!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Kathy!

D
Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

SR is gone weird again on my phone
​​​​​​...
Anyway wanted to say Thx D.
You never leave us down.

And we couldn't have a better shotgun

Back to sleep for me...
Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee!

You too, Vman!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations Gilmer 5 years!!! Speech please, what has 5 years sober given you?

I started back at yoga tonight and feeling strong for this weekend. I had another really stressful experience today. Felt a strong urge to drink, but got organized instead and followed through with my sober plans for the day. Tomorrow more progress.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Gilly. No person deserves it more.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

Thanks for the new thread, Dee.

Congrats on 5 years, Gilmer! You are a true rock star in sobriety.

I seem to be in permanent existential crisis. There must be a way out of it.

See you later.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

Here's to your 5 years, Glimmer! You're a first ballot SR Hall of Famer in my book.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You are a weekender ledgend and all round inspiration Gilmer, 5 years is bloody amazing as are you! xx

I am in people! Today I am finishing off getting all the powdery tile grout off the porcelain tiles in my bathroom. Been washing the walls for years and this powdery film just reappeared as soon as it dried but found this stuff I can paint on and then a little scrub and bingo it’s gone!! Then I have to repaint the bathroom ceiling and the architrave round the door and that’s another room done.

My mission to clear out my life and home is nearly complete. Over the past few months since I returned from rehab I have gone through every single item I own in the house and shed. Found angry letters I wrote 15 years ago to an ex I never sent, diaries and notepads (over 100 notepads) where I found notes I wrote to myself that changed nothing and years later found the same note in another notepad, emptied every drawer, box, book, thrown away lots of lotions and potions to keep me looking young as they were out of date.

I have taken nearly 60% of the contents of this house to the refuse dump or charity shop or given away to a neighbor! This house was an extension of how I used to feel about myself and how I handled life, full of broken things I couldn’t let go of, stuff shoved in the back of drawers and cupboards hoarded like negative emotions I couldn’t deal with.

1 more week and this place will be done and it’s been such a cathartic exercise and I am starting to feel free and not like I am carrying the world and old negative energy on my shoulders.

Hope everyone is doing good! xx
Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

MantaLady, that is wonderful!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I found this that I had written in a note pad. I did this a few times once I had started drinking so when I got the itch to call someone this note would be next to my phone and laptop to remind me I was drunk and to not call people. I used to think I sounded fun and upbeat but in reality I sounded drunk and embarrasing.

This was in a notepad from about 6 years ago and I only stopped drinking this year so it shows how long I have been aware of the problem and also how long I did little to nothing of substance to change it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
drunk_2108.jpg (26.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me the beginning of sobriety was an almost instantaneous soothing of resentments in my family circle.

Simply no longer being drunk went a long way to pacifying the people around me!

Then (thanks in large part to SR) I learned that I somehow had to "work" on my "recovery."

I read and prayed and read more, and I realized that my entire modus operandi was selfishness. I didn't want to face any unpleasantness in life, so I obliterated myself.

Repercussions and resentments from my family had just made me run to the bottle more.

I strived to face the ups and downs of life without my familiar shield.

Guess what? I did not die!

I threw myself into the pages of SR, leaning heavily on the "One Year and Under" thread. It was amazing how much leaning on my compadres in a similar boat helped keep me afloat!

Since then I have developed a genuine love not only for being helped, but for helping others--not just with my experience, support, and hope, but with a happy-go-lucky joie de vivre.

It's funny. When I was drunk, I was sour and sullen all the time. Now after five years sober I am full of joy!

Almost as if I was not a whole person when I was drinking, and now I am complete!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I found this that I had written in a note pad. I did this a few times once I had started drinking so when I got the itch to call someone this note would be next to my phone and laptop to remind me I was drunk and to not call people. I used to think I sounded fun and upbeat but in reality I sounded drunk and embarrasing.

This was in a notepad from about 6 years ago and I only stopped drinking this year so it shows how long I have been aware of the problem and also how long I did little to nothing of substance to change it!
I had an aunt that used to call me in the middle of the night drunk as a skunk, her husband (my uncle) had died and for some reason she would call me completely out of her mind drunk, and start telling me she loved me and such. It got really bad and I got mad when I confronted her because she had her 12y/o son living with her. She never remembered calling me. I looked out for her for a few years but I'm glad she found somebody now, I'm off the hook. She's still a raging alcoholic. But her son is doing ok.

Anyway that depressing story aside. It's Friday morning here and I need something fun to do on Saturday! Has to be active and alcohol free! My kid wants to go bowling but that's way to much trigger for me, my girl wants to go hiking in the woods but I've done plenty of that lately anyone have any other ideas? I don't feel like hanging around the house near a fridge full of beer!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kathy 5 years is really awesome! And so are you! You’re such an inspiration to everyone here and you have helped me immeasurably. I am eternally grateful to you ❤️
Old 11-16-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congratulations Gilmer (Or Glimer as some of your friends call you). Tho I'm not wishing time to move faster, I enthusiastically look forward to my five years. Ive learned here that it's entirely doable, I have the power.

Manta, I love it that you've done so much work cleaning out and renewing your space. We did some of that this past summer and it feels great. Onward and upward!

Happy Friday everyone.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Themechanic View Post
It's Friday morning here and I need something fun to do on Saturday! Has to be active and alcohol free! My kid wants to go bowling but that's way to much trigger for me, my girl wants to go hiking in the woods but I've done plenty of that lately anyone have any other ideas? I don't feel like hanging around the house near a fridge full of beer!
Uuukuuleleee......

Museum? baseball cage for some batting practice? ice skating? pick up a board game? Window shopping and lunch at the mall?

Ukulele lessons.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good frosty morning everyone, especially to Gilmer on a rather wonderful achievement. 1825 days! Woot woot!

TGIF and wishing everyone the best day.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In for another sober weekend, because a not-sober weekend would be insane at this point.

Huge Congrats, Kathy. High five and a cookie for you.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Frenchies! Notorious!

Those beasts will do ANYTHING for a treat!

I love him, Bim! Thank you!