Notices

1 month sober! Still buzzed/brain fog feeling uhhhhh.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 month sober! Still buzzed/brain fog feeling uhhhhh.

Well happy to be 1 month sober. Never would I have thought I would have experienced these crazy symptoms. We all do it to ourselves, but I’m in a way kinda happy it made me quit. I never had experienced any of these episodes while I was drinking and I never heard of symptoms quite like this.

Here I am on day 30 Finally! I feel so happy for myself and I also put down the cigarettes as well the 2nd week of being sober. Finally had a interview today and landed a driver job for a good garbage company. The only thing that worries me know are the symptoms that still hang over me.

I’m having days where there’s a bit of improvement then days that suck then repeat. Some days I’m feeling a bit better some not so great. The “brain fog” is still heavy and seems to give a bit at night time. I also can say I feel buzzed/high/stoned Most of the time. Lighting seems weird most of the time as well and can be quite frightening. It’s kinda weird walking around all day with the feeling of being BUZZED/stoned but you actually are not. I know I keep putting a bunch of stuff in my head but it’s just a very frustrating thing to be going threw.

Is brain fog and that buzzed/stoned feeling the same as in terms or are they different? Also does the brain fog affect your eyes and cause them to be blurry or see lighting in weird ways? Anyone else felt this way at 1 month? I just want my brain to heal, it’s so frustrating going day to day not knowing when u will come out of this.

I have been wanting to see a doctor but currently don’t have any medical insurance. I’m sure that what I’m going threw is nothing new but I just want some peace of mind knowing that things will get better. How long was your experience or can anyone relate to this feeling of being buzzed and having eye problems with vision?

Thank you all so much for sticking with me.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still felt foggy at one month and occasionally a little spacey - my second month was a lot better tho - hope it will be for you too Blake

D
Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I still felt foggy at one month and occasionally a little spacey - my second month was a lot better tho - hope it will be for you too Blake

D
Is that foggy feeling a feeling of being buzzed? I walk around all day and feel a bit buzzed and not there. I’m just trying to figure out what foggy and brain fog means as in how it makes someone feel threw out the day. Hoping that everything starts to settle out here soon.

Thank you D
Old 11-13-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It’s hard for me to remember feeling “buzzed.” I did feel spacy and very tired because my sleep cycle was all messed up. I recall not being clear headed. I was an emotional train wreck. It took two -three months to start evening out. It took several months to really feel like a normal person again (whatever that means).

It will get better!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt spacey at times, but not buzzed, blake. Buzzed to me connotes some degree of pleasure and there was no pleasure in it.

I also felt very woolly headed. I would forget the most basic of things and sometimes the most simplest of tasks.

I think you might be dealing with anxiety as a factor here too.

I was deathly worried I'd broken my brain for good, but given enough time, things got back to normal.

Don't lose heart

D
Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't necessarily feel buzzed, but maybe a little shell shocked from the lifestyle change. Also, make sure you take care of the basics like plenty of water, sleep, and keep your diet on point, especially right now (nutrients). Sounds simple, but those are easy to lose track of

Congrats on a month!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the vision issue. I googled the crap out of it and almost convinced myself I had a brain tumor. But I went to the eye doctor. No tumor. Alcoholism can affect pretty much every part of your body, and your eyes are no exception.

To be specific, I had trouble focusing my eyes, particularly when I was tired. I have a couple "floaters," which are tiny spots that appear in my vision from time to time. I notice them most when I'm reading. Also, I kept seeing shadows and flashes of light that weren't there.

Here's what it actually was for me. 1.) I finally got sober in my mid 40s, so my vision and eyes were changing as a normal part of aging. 2.) I had to learn to sleep, so some of it was sleep deprivation and just being so darn tired. 3.) I was completely unfamiliar with being sober, so I didn't know what was PAWS related and what wasn't.

Give your body (including your eyeballs) some time to heal and adjust. As always, if something is really worrying you, go visit your doctor. Once I got my dreaded prescription for bifocals and some good solid sleep, things were much better - including my vision.

There's my lovely two cents. Congratulations on your sober time, and I hope to hear from you often!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a few months before I was feeling 'right' again. Give it time, and a good diet and rest, it should get better.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found really using proper nutrition and ealking helped a lot. I focused on fresh fruit/veg and protein and just walking a ton. Water to get those toxins out! Once I started feeling better, I started doing better with regard to my choices.
Congratulations...you are doing great. Jules
Old 11-14-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very simliar experiences. I definitely experience vision problems in first months. Varying degrees of fogginess. Would sometimes just need to lie down and close my eyes for a bit. Diet and exercise was key too. Even just walking in the fresh air. H2O and oxygen are incredible home remedies. Seeing a doc and checking blood sugar was important foe me too.

Alcohol is a toxin to our bodies. We pumped it through our systems for a long time. The poison gets into every organ and blood cell. It takes time to purge it once we stop drinking. That's the key, "we stop drinking". You must stay stopped to find relief. It will come.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi. I agree with everyone else here

Very weird feeling. Like going crazy. Sleep cycle horrible. Obsessing every second about staying sober. Anxiety about success. Anxiety about failure. Wondering if I’d killed my liver. Wondering how much of my brain was left . Wondering what people would think if they knew what type of alcohol problem I had-, or wondering what people would think if they knew that I was going through these withdrawal symptoms. Feeling weird about keeping everything a secret from my employer and my coworkers.

When you do get insurance I would suggest that you go ahead and get a full physical with bloodwork, and give them the responsibility of communicating a starting point for you… That is —where you are currently with your health .

It might give you peace of mind to get your eyes checked and get a full physical. Perhaps they’ll even give you one for your job which would be great.

Congratulations on your sobriety and on your new job that is so wonderful
Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
How did your brain fog make u feel? It’s weird to me that I feel a bit stoned or just spaced out. When looking around outside or inside my vision makes things seem even weirder. Think I’m going to see a eye doctor just to get that checked off my list. I just don’t know if this is brain fog or something else.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
It took me a few months before I was feeling 'right' again. Give it time, and a good diet and rest, it should get better.
How did you know u were feeling “right” again? What was your experience with this? How did you feel day to day? Did you experience this stoned feeling in the eyes or brain fog?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m thinking best way to describe my brain fog is kinda like being impaired threw out my days. Does that help describe brain fog better?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Blake,

I agree that what you are experiencing is most likely a combination of factors relating to extended drinking. Firstly, though - is it safe for you to be driving a garbage truck while feeling this way? Make sure to put your own safety first, don't ever risk it if you're feeling "off".

Anyway, long-term drinking requires a considerable amount of time for the body to rebalance itself. Alcohol interferes with the body's ability to absorb vitamins, so you should speak with your doctor about the possibility of taking vitamin supplements and possibly altering your diet. Many of the long-term effects of alcohol abuse are related to nutrition and hygiene. I remember my body taking a while to adjust... for weeks I couldn't seem to regulate temperature on my own, I'd forget things, I sometimes felt light-headed for no reason... it all gets better with more and more sober time and conscious effort to live a healthy lifestyle.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had brain fog for more than 6 months. Took me about 13 to actually feel normal.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a little of that for a while after I quit smoking. Forgetfulness, kinda sleep drunk during the day. I'd be measuring a bunch of electronics and forget what I measured 10 seconds later and would have to do it again only to forget the results yet again. Also would sometimes just kinda space out for a while, just stare and dream off for a bit. Lasted about 6 weeks or so and then went away.

You said you also quit smoking so maybe it's that.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blakekapetanis1 View Post

How did your brain fog make u feel? It’s weird to me that I feel a bit stoned or just spaced out. When looking around outside or inside my vision makes things seem even weirder. Think I’m going to see a eye doctor just to get that checked off my list. I just don’t know if this is brain fog or something else.
Sorry Blake - I've been as specific as I can.
Some days It was like trying to think through cotton wool.

I had the floaties and weird optics in my eyes when I closed them too.

I think at a month you're right where a lot of us were...I remember you've traced this back to one night of drinking...but you also said you'd been binging for 2 years before that - that kind of repeated impact will take a little time to heal.

If you're worried to the point of preoccupation, its best to go see a Dr, man

D
Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was still recovering mentally one month in. I sometimes felt spacy or just like my brain was slowed down. Recovery takes time.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blakekapetanis1 View Post
I’m thinking best way to describe my brain fog is kinda like being impaired threw out my days. Does that help describe brain fog better?
Yes!! 100% that’s how my brain fog feels. How long did it take for you to be completely free of this fog. So glad someone could relate to that feeling.