Notices

Addiction sucks.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction sucks.

I found out yesterday that I lost an old childhood friend to addiction and mental health. We hadn't been in touch for a long time, but she was there in the beginning of my journey with drugs and alcohol. I always loved her though and I always wished her well and hoped that she would eventually get her act together. We only get so many chances though.

She wasn't even 40. Addiction is a heart-breaker.

Some of these drugs today are no joke. A person is literally taking their life into their own hands. I know several people who had serious habits who are dead now. This one hits close to home though, she was like family.

Choose sobriety. Your addiction is lying to you when it says you can't because you've already failed before. It's lying when it says your life will suck without it. You can get through a craving. But you have to choose it and decide for yourself that you can do it.

I wish that she could have found what I have but she ran out of chances and now her son doesn't have a mother and her sister doesn't have a sister and her parents lost their child, and for what?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry, Billie. Addiction is indeed horrible. I'm so grateful every day that I kicked it.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry to hear this. You are right it’s no joke-this addiction business. I hope she is at peace now and my heartbreaks for those she left behind.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear about your friend, addiction is indeed a heart-breaker, and not just for the addicted. I wish you and her family peace.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss billiejean.
D
Old 11-13-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for your loss. You're right, addiction is a horrible thing. I am glad I left mine behind me.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. What's breaking my heart is that now the old crew is going to get back together and we haven't all seen each other like this in a long time, and how happy it would have made her to see everyone again. I keep thinking that by just getting to see her old people, maybe we could have saved her. We all did, slowly, one by one, abandon her. I feel guilty and responsible. Addiction and mental health do that though. People can only take so much. But she was sick and in many ways she couldn't help herself, or that's what her addiction had her believing. At least no one has to worry about her anymore.... I guess.

The reason I started this thread though wasn't just for my feelings. I want her story to be a warning to other, and that's why I chose SR, it's got the right audience. She had people who loved her, even if her addiction had her thinking she didn't. No one thinks it will be them who dies from an overdose, yet people are dropping dead like flies from this fentynal garbage.

It really can be life or death. But as long as you are still breathing then you've still got a chance, take it.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep- addiction sucks.
My bro died about 40- booze, we unplugged his life support.
Many years later- I fought my own battle with booze- being in the same hospital ICU bed spot dead bro was in- I was revived 3 times booze/ blackout/ciggie/fiberglass splint - fatal (for a time) burns.
My dad died while I was in a coma, from booze related stuff.

Prayers for you and your friend.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am probably a bit older than you. I am sorry to report that it can get worse. I had several friends in my teens who like me we using at a young age. Like you I lost one of my closest childhood friends to alcohol and drugs when he was in his early 40s. Other less close friends dropped too. But it's when the children fall that it gets even worse. One of my old friends had children young and he's still a mess. Alcohol and cocaine are his drugs of choice. When his two boys got into their teens and 20s they learned to be just like dad except they got into heroin. One of them overdosed and died earlier this year. Yes it really does suck!