Notices

the results are in

Old 11-12-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the results are in

Well, it turns out I do have prostrate cancer, the aggressive type. Doctor was very nice and told me what my options were. He did say it's treatable and it's not an immediate concern but need to have some other procedures done soon (MRI and bone scan). He said if I opt for the surgery, it's a one day thing and that should take care of it. He said that after the surgery, I should have around 20 years left, putting me in my 80"s which isn't too bad. But a doctor telling you you have an expiration date definitely takes the wind out of your sails. Doing better now, but barely remember driving home. This definitely gives me a lot to think about. John
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m sorry to hear that, John. It sounds like you have options to consider and a positive prognosis. I’ll be thinking of you.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness I’m so sorry John!

I wish you the best in your decisions with your options .

If you decide to do surgery, and where you live offers it, I would recommend robotic surgery because it can be nerve sparing for bladder and erectile function.

A good nurse friend of mine‘s husband had the surgery done, but the surgeon told him he wanted to wait three weeks and have him do something called Keagle exercises for those three weeks minimizing the chances that he would be incontinent of urine.

Most of us women are familiar with those, as we tend to have leakage problems as we get older from weak perineal muscles.

It sounds like you have a great doctor, and I hope you keep us posted.

Big hugs surrounding you.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you've got treatment options.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, it's some sort of robotic surgery. Requires a small incision and that's it. John
Old 11-12-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry you got the news John, but at least you know the score now. 2 of my immediate male relatives have the same diagnosis and i'm screened for it often due to my family history. My uncle who had it survived well into his nineties and dies of something else actually, and the other one is well into his eighties with no ill effects yet.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I'm sorry to hear this, but it's good that you have treatment options and you know where you stand.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thinking of you John. It is a lot to take in but 20 years is a very good prognosis.
Support to you.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This situation reminds me of someone I met a long time ago in a trip to Mexico. She had a terminal illness and only had a few years to live, so she quit her job and decided to just travel. Her strength was amazing. John
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sorry you got the news John, but at least you know the score now. 2 of my immediate male relatives have the same diagnosis and i'm screened for it often due to my family history. My uncle who had it survived well into his nineties and dies of something else actually, and the other one is well into his eighties with no ill effects yet.
Thanks for this. I was just shocked to hear this news. Always expected something to eventually happen but was hoping it wouldn't happen for a while. Kinda went into panic mode when I got this news thinking I better get my affairs in order and take those trips I've been putting off, but feel a lot better now. But it does make me think of the saying of not putting off tomorrow what you can do today. A real wake up call for sure.
I guess what surprised me is that I'm so damn healthy. Pretty much live at the gym, lots of energy, great mood, always on the go, etc. But I know I'm a pretty lucky guy. Should of been in the grave years ago with all the stuff I was doing. Really can't complain or feel sorry for myself with this news. John
Old 11-12-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can imagine its a shock and scary - but I'm glad the prognosis is not as bad as it could be John.

The old 'live every day' thing comes to mind.

D
Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the bad news. A lot of new technology will be available by then so there is hope beyond the 20 years.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you received this news. I'm also glad you got the news early so it can be treated. Hugs to you.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey!

Well, it's good that you have a diagnosis now, and at least that takes out the uncertainty factor out. Now, you have 20 years more supposing that everything in science remains the same, which will not. Just think how much progress medicine and science has done in the last 20 years.

Don't take it as a countdown and be sure that year by year, probably your chances will keep growing,

You're very brave!
Old 11-12-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

John, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm so glad you got checked out, though.

Like Scott, I have a relative who was diagnosed with it - and he lived into his early 90's.

I'm glad you wanted to talk about what's going on, John. We care about you.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

We all have an expiration date 2MP. It's what we do with the time we have left that counts. All the best to you.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is good

As I was reminded by a 12-step friend, we might "know" yet we don't really know. Miracles of all kinds happen every day.

Prayer:

God/Great Spirit/Universe,
Please give me eyes to see and ears to hear your presence in my life. Please give me strength to embrace the illogical. Thank you for this day.

Meditation: I am worthy of a big beautiful life. I will do whatever it takes to love myself.

May you have many blessings through each day and find ease in your recovery. Congratulations on your sobriety.

Mango
Old 11-12-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It is scary John but so good that you were screened and found out early. Prostate is one of those cancers that is very treatable when detected early.

Such a strong testament to early detection. I've had cancer twice, two different kinds. Both found in stage 1. I still have to be screened yearly for both, and often get a knot in my stomach this time of year (I'm still waiting for the results from 1 of my tests) but I have faith too that it will work out. Besides, worry never accomplished anything.

Good luck with the procedure and let us know how you're doing!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Very sad to hear this news John, but it sounds like the prognosis is pretty good barring any complications. In situations like this I always say "could be worse".
Old 11-12-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear John.
My thoughts are with you.
Giant hug.
Jules