Notices

10 weeks sober!! Wonderful!

Old 11-12-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 weeks sober!! Wonderful!

I can't believe how different I feel.
Even 5 weeks ago I couldn't imagine I feel so good.

I was drinking upto and sometimes more than ten bottles of wine a week and smoking cigarettes sometimes too. I drank heavily like that for four years, and before that a party weekend drinker.

The first two weeks of stopping I was at a&e convinced I was dying of heart attacks, anxiety was horrendous I imagined how I could go in living with this doom feeling.

Got given Prozac but that made me feel worse so in the bin it went. Diazepam but to take in an emergency, and I can see how they become addictive because they knock you out. So tried not to rely on them. And ended up on 80mg of propranolol which seems to work.

I still have jitters where I'll suddenly feel ill, sweating and anxious but it lasts minute's not days. And happens two or three times a week. And I know it'll get easier.

So hopefully someone reading this, it DOES get better. The first 30 days are HARD. But believe me stay clean and sober and life really gets better.

I was teary and crying for weeks but now my emotions have settled I feel more 'normal' keeping myself in check. I thought I would lose weight but I have a craving for cakes and biscuits, but I'll not worry right now about that until my head's 100% ready.

I went for a meal with my husband and drank water but even being in a busy bar set off my anxiety with alcohol around. Just bringing back feelings of it. But it'll get easier. I used to think I wasn't able to have a social occasion without a drink or it was boring.
Or I wouldn't be funny or social but I'm just the same as I am with people. I just don't go on nights out anymore.

But that is fine, I've found knitting to be really helpful in moments of anxiety, it looks hard but watch some videos on YouTube and it's easy once you get started. And jigsaws, really force you to use different parts of your brain and not the anxiety part.

Nobody knew my drink problem was so bad, I'm in my 30s, with kids and a husband. On the outside you'd never have guessed I was falling apart. Even hid it from my husband well.

So there is hope if you're reading this, it's never too late and the dreadful feeling does go, it's just really really hard at first. And I know in ten weeks it can only get better.

I didn't have an easy life, drink was good to block things out. Most people have not have decent lives, but I won't let yesterday spoil tomorrow anymore.

Love to all on the journey.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very nice to read! Congrats!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 70 days purple petals!

Very nice of you to share the ups and downs that you have had. I think my life is better as well, although not perfect either. I agree that having something to do with your hands keep them busy and your mind busy to get more sober muscle time under your belt. Realizing you can go to dinner with your husband and let those feelings come in and out about memories of alcohol and all of those people around you drinking is wonderful.

It’s weird but true. We can have fun and enjoy life and do the things that we used to do without alcohol.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks purple tail. Very inspiring post. I am DAY 10. I look forward to WEEK 10!!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 10 weeks sober!
Old 11-12-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Thanks purple tail. Very inspiring post. I am DAY 10. I look forward to WEEK 10!!
You can do it!! Believe you can because every day you are a new better you. Ten weeks will be here before you realise and you'll feel great. Feel accomplished that every day sober you are starving the demon, it will really test you but don't feed it. You become strong and it becomes weak, ten days you're doing amazing!
YOU GOT THIS!!

And thanks for the messages everyone else 😊

​​​​​
Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats!!

Congrats on the time behind you! This is huge! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Purplepetals! You’re doing great! I wouldn’t tempt fate with too many visits to bars tho! I advoid places where people drink even after two years sober now
Old 11-13-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congrats! It sounds like you are doing really good!!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are amazing purple petals! Thank you for your inspiring post.

By the way, I relate to you in the sense no one knew my drinking was that bad. I also am married with a child and hid the amount I was drinking even from my husband.

Keep going strong. You are right. It will just keep getting better!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

lovely to read such an uplifting post ! Congrats
Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations so proud of you
That was my story also ...don't worry about the cakes and buns I'm almost 11 months and I've NEVER had a sweet tooth until I quit drinking
I can tell you it gets even BETTER ...
so keep going
your doing FANTASTIC
Cara❤
Old 11-13-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats fantastic purplepetals - congratulations
Old 11-14-2018, 12:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

well done
Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Fantastic effort and congrats on 10 weeks! It gets better the more sober guilt free mornings you get under your belt. Keep up the good fight! xx