Notices

Got pulled over today...

Old 11-10-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got pulled over today...

Hey all,
I knew it was going to happen as soon as I saw the cop. He was in the left turn lane at a stop sign and I was going straight... as soon as I went straight he changed lanes and pulled up right behind me and turned his lights on. I ashamely admit that before I got sober, I have indeed driven under the influence... more times than I’d like to own up to. If this was 7 months ago, I would have been sweating bullets... most likely I would have been sporting a nice shiny pair of metal bracelets and taken for a ride down town for a DUI. However, by the grace of God, I have been sober for 205 days. I had done nothing wrong and I didn’t have to worry about the smell of alcohol on my breath or hiding the fact I had been drinking since I woke up in the morning. I calmly pulled over, the officer stopped me because my registration tags were overdue a week. I apologized and the nice man let me off with a warning. What an unexplainable feeling to be free from the figurative shackles of alcohol that had also saved me from being free from the very real shackles of handcuffs. Whatever stage you are in right now of your sobriety... be it 7 hours, 7 days, 7 months or 7 years... keep going. It just keeps getting better, I promise.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, Dearsobriety! That is great! Thank you for sharing this and congrats
Old 11-10-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

One day at a time. Living in the moment.

Congratulations on your recovery!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic post ...well done ...I know the feeling well
AND it's not a nice one ...thankfully by the grace of God I've never been stopped but the terror is all to real
congratulations on your sober time ...Brilliant 🌷
cara x
Old 11-10-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I get the same feeling when I see a cop car. I don't care if they pull me over cause I know I haven't done anything wrong.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. I’ve had a headlight out for a month and don’t really care. If I was still drinking, I would have been at the auto parts store the second I saw it and changed it in the parking lot. Pull me over Johnny law!! I’ve got nothing to hide. Sober life is good.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I get the same feeling when I see a cop car. I don't care if they pull me over cause I know I haven't done anything wrong.
haha exactly! Every time we see a cop, my husband jokes and says, “go ahead, I dare you to pull her over! She’s not drunk, just not the best driver even though she’s sober” lol
Old 11-10-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Accord1 View Post
I know the feeling. I’ve had a headlight out for a month and don’t really care. If I was still drinking, I would have been at the auto parts store the second I saw it and changed it in the parking lot. Pull me over Johnny law!! I’ve got nothing to hide. Sober life is good.
exactly! I’m like go ahead... give me a field sobriety test... I’ll pass with flying colors 😊 great job on your sober time!
Old 11-10-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Accord1 View Post
Yeah, well...you still need to get your headlight fixed. Being sober won't stop an officer from giving you a ticket, and tickets aren't cheap anymore.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here in Ontario, Canada we have had quite a bit of snow suddenly. My family is out and about on the roads this evening doing various things. I thought about the snowy driving conditions and I wondered how they would be handling the new snow as they drove. Then it suddenly occurred to me that if they ran into trouble and had to call me I would be ready to jump in my car and go and help without worrying that I had been drinking all day and was in no condition to drive. What a wonderful relief!!
Old 11-10-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I get the sentiment behind the thread, but being that you can get a DUI ticket stone cold sober and I'm not good at doing jumping jacks while standing on my head and reciting the Russian alphabet backwards, I never look forward to being pulled over during drinking hours.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This has happened to me! Even 2 years after my DUI, even after I knew better, I was going to a guy’s house that I’d been trying to make happen for a year so I was super nervous...and I stupidly drank on my way there. Got pulled over for turning right on red because I didn’t see the sign saying not to, I was in an area of town I was totally unfamiliar with. Cop smelled the wine, called in backup, and I sat there half a mile away from where I was supposed to be, trying to figure out the best way to get out of jail this time. I somehow passed the eye gaze test, which is all they made
me do...I showed them on my GPS how close i was to where I was going....and by some miracle they let me go. Didn’t even get a ticket for the turning on red. It was nothing but a miracle. I showed up to this guy’s house literally shaking, sweating bullets, and having a panic attack. Of course I lied to him and said I was completely sober, and it was just PTSD from the first time. I didn’t stop drinking at the time, but I did stop “car bar-ing”, as my cousin and I used to stupidly call it.

Later that year after about 6 months of no drinking (back then), I got pulled over for speeding about 15mph over, which was pretty bad. I have a lead foot problem. Even though I was stone cold sober, the instant anxiety came back. I literally had to tell myself in my head that there was no alcohol in the car...I was coming home from work...I hadn’t even HAD alcohol in over 150 days. This cop was also super nice, and gave me a huge break and didn’t charge me at the 15 over speeding rate, which saved me over $100. When he handed me back my license and whatnot and just said very nicely to please slow down and have a nice evening, it again took me a minute to realize that there wasn’t any backup or DUI teams being called in this time, because I didn’t have to worry about that anymore.

I totally understand the panic, and totally understand the liberating feeling when it’s no longer an issue! Thank you for posting this!!
Old 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I remember when this dawned on me, too! I was driving home, through the college bar row, after working late. Turned onto my street and saw a cop parked, looking for people DUI, and realized I wasn’t nervous. I’m never nervous anymore. It’s such a great feeling.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It’s a feeling of freedom being able to drive without fear of a criminal charge. However, cops still give tickets and even though I was sober I got a whole mess after being waved on even though there was a stopped school bus.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. I had a person hit my car on their bike, scared the crap out of me. I wasn't moving so it wasn't my fault but you know anytime alcohol is involved..
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's awesome DS! I can relate to your post. Sobriety is so refreshing . Today marks my 206 days of sobriety. For all of you who are on this journey, stay the course because it really does get better and better.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great post. Thank you. It sure is nice to drive looking more out the front windshield than the rear view mirror looking to see if there is a cop behind me.