Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Need some tips navigating finding a job whilst balancing being in between binges

Notices

Need some tips navigating finding a job whilst balancing being in between binges

Old 11-09-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Sad to say I am not that sober. Its been,

5 days sober

Tuesday - a bottle of red wine + 6 ciders

2 days sober

Yesterday - only 6 ciders.

I am aware its not SOBER SOBER, but its sure good to see only 6 small bottles as opposed to 24 beer bottles from my previous binges.

Anyway, i need to find a job urgently, and unfortunately, the only sphere i know is the construction industry and that is not an option due to my changed living arrangments ( moved countries).

The next option is Teaching English at small English schools in this city.

I am in need of some tips of the process at hand.

i Need to
-write a resume
-travel around to all these schools and apply directly?
-negotiate salary
-update my knowledge on the English language and the grammar involved.
(i already have a certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign language)

Has anyone got any tips on finding a job whilst being in between binges and sober days?

I seem to be a high functioning alcoholic because for the last 7 days ( and past) i was extremely depressed and down and full of anxiety. I woke up today slightly hungover and realized that the alcohol was the confidence kick i needed to start searching for a job on Monday ( counterproductive i know)

so i officially fall under the " need to drink to function normally" category

In general, iam a very professional person and i normally take work responsibilities seriously, I've just lately been riddled with paralyzing anxiety that has stopped me in all my tracks to search for this job, But i don't have a choice now, i gotta at least TRY.

I need this, i NEED this responsibility to help with my sobriety because work has helped me in the past before, I enjoy waking up sober at 7am and going to work as opposed to waking up at 1pm hungover.

If i have a job i GO and i go SOBER because that is my responsibility

wish me luck
Old 11-10-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I think many of us have been in the “If I lived somewhere else, If I had a job, if I could just get away for a bit” then I would be able to stay sober. For me, that was never true, relying on something external to stay sober never ever worked long term . I had to rely on me regardless of the external circumstances. Also I used to be able to blame the circumstances for my drinking instead of myself “If I hadn’t lost my job I would still be sober” or “if that person hadn’t been so horrible and disrespectful to me I would still be sober”.

No person, job, location, money, love can keep you sober, the only thing that can do that is you. xx
Old 11-10-2018, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Manta Lady.

But I believe you are missing the point.

There is 0 productivity in being jobless, that is just reality regardless of how "inside" i have to look, to " save" myself I am sick of looking "inside" ( I am not quoting you btw)

a Job is just another tool in the Toolbox.

I know it sounds like I am in Denial or the av is talking etc etc ( believe me I am very honest with myself) and iam just writing as is comes to mind.

But a job has HELPED me in the past.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I do get your point Renavate, honestly I do and keeping busy does help. I do question the “it helps” statement though. Helps what? Helps you have a break from drinking for a while till you binge again? Sorry, things in type can sound much harsher than Intended and it’s hard to get across the care and emotion behind what I am saying so please don’t think I am having a go at all.

Maybe try volunteering at a few schools for a day a week, then you can have a few different schools to visit in the same week. This might help get an actual job with them and keeps you busy in the meantime while you apply for paid roles. Not sure what country you are in so not sure what the best way to find work might be for you xx
Old 11-10-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the volunteering idea is a good one - ti's a great way to get a foot in the door.

I urge caution tho - and I think I get Manta's point- I actually found it easier to drink when I was working because the drinking at night was my reward for a hard days work...after a while the drinking became more important than the work and I was unemployed again.

Getting sober and staying that way will require more than a job.
Looks like you realise that too.

Besides being productive what other tools do you have in the toolbox to stay in recovery?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-10-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Has anyone got any tips on finding a job whilst being in between binges and sober days?"

When i said this i mean the scattered thinking that's currently involved from being drunk than sober. Not planned future binges

hmm the volunteering is a good idea, i was thinking about this but sometimes it can be like a step backward as they might use you then say "srry no positions" ...but then again i will come away with some experience.

In regards to drinking after work? i spent 7 years doing this, and i got so sick and tired of being hungover at work, that i stopped doing this. Trust me the one thing that makes me not drink is the job in the morning, ESPECIALLY a teaching job, i couldn't. As i said am responsible. (enough to show up sober anyway)

but i like the volunteering idea.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand, Renvate, how one can use a job as one means to get sober, as I have done it myself recently. If it is one of those tools in your toolbox, then use it diligently. That means NO alcohol at all, even during your job search: you already have a "job" now, and that is finding employment.

Being here on SR every day regularly would also be helpful; people have gotten sober here. I would do more, too, such as finding activities to replace your conditions that give you some form of permission to drink, because you need to stop entirely. Your job shouldn't be your full identity support system. Being serious about not drinking has to be at least as strong as your need to find employment. Do what is necessarily to hold yourself accountable.

I also like the idea of doing volunteer work, or perhaps you can tutor as well, to help get your foot in the door.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If working is going to help you stay sober, then get a job. Update your resume, go to places that you'd like to work and hand it out. My guess is no one in your home is going to hire you so being there won't help.

If working helps you not drink, volunteering would serve that purpose and would give you experience as others have mentioned.

Keep working on your sobriety. That depression and especially the anxiety will evaporate without alcohol to keep them hanging around.

I hope you find something quickly!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Which country are you in Renvate?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you have a certificate for teaching English as a second language you can apply for an online teaching job. I am looking at all the schools now. Some will only take native speakers, some will take foreign speakers with a certificate, some want a degree, it varies from company to company but you can find one that might work for you. They are nearly all Chinese, so the hours they are looking for will vary based on your time zone. For example I am in the perfect time zone and can work 9-4. You are paid by class and each class is about 25 minutes.

Some companies want you to pick your hours and stick to them for a certain time period, for example six months. Others you can open your availability week to week.

A few of the companies are VIPKID, DadaEnglish, PalFish, also if you go on Facebook and search for English teaching jobs a ton of sites will show up offering advice and links.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If survival is your concern, I started a window cleaning company whilst still drinking, and it allowed me to eat, and pay rent, but didn't put me in a position that helped my drinking. I had to make that decision for myself. It does give you a lot of freedom, so it's a matter of what you do with the freedom.

In any case, low overhead, and low startup costs. Youtube and Window Cleaning Resource are good places to look.

I'm now sober, and this industry is profitable. I just don't get the visceral good feeling that I'm helping as much as I can, so I envy your teaching credentials. I'm saving money for nursing school.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd say just do one thing today.

Talk to one potential employer. Don't make it all about being perfect or sober, just go talk to one.

That scattered thinking is rough.

Stop drinking and it goes away, ya know?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with biminiblue, if you make up your mind to talk to one potential employee, it gets easier after that. You’ll probably get a clearer idea about what to do and get a boost to your confidence going forward.

Hopefully you’ll find yourself working in a positive environment. My last job was teaching at a low performing middle school. My students were fine, and I was successful and professional. But the environment was thoroughly toxic. Backstabbing colleagues, micromanaging administrators, hostile parents. So every day I’d work late, get my stuff done, then stop at the liquor store on my way home. I felt entitled after all that I had been through each day. I’m happily not working now, but if/when I do get another job, I will be careful in my choice.

Teaching esl is cool though; I’ve done this before and enjoyed it. I can see how the right job placement will be a positive thing for you.