Notices

First AA meeting this evening - nervous

Old 11-09-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polished View Post

I often feel so self-conscious/self-aware in meetings and around people in general that I’m not really present in the moment. That’s a huge part of what got me to this point to start with I think! Learning to be comfortable and present around people is something that I need to get down. I thought booze helped with that and I guess it did for a while, but over the last five years or so it’s just done the opposite as I’ve become more and more reclusive.
Very nice insights, Polished, I think you're on your way!
Old 11-10-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
Very nice insights, Polished, I think you're on your way!
Oh thank you I feel that this is taking shape in a more holistic way for me now. It's not just about stopping drinking - I need to change my habits, my thought processes, my avoidant behaviour, my untrue beliefs - all these things that have both led me to and supported my drinking. Basically, I need to change the way I live. I guess that's what's meant by living sober rather than as a dry drunk.

This is kind of what I was getting at when I got home from the AA meeting yesterday. I need tools to achieve the above. So, I spent an hour doing some research, and I'm going to give SMART recovery a whirl too. They have online UK meetings five nights a week - a face-to-face meeting would have been ideal but the nearest one to me is 100 miles away. Anyway, I had a quick look at some of the resources available on their website, and the behavioural therapy-type approach is precisely what I was envisaging to get me through the first few months, at least. My first online meeting is tonight!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Polished. That sounds like a very warm and inviting atmosphere. Your experience makes me want to try a meeting myself.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I look forward to hearing about how your SMART meeting went, Polished, it's all about finding the things that work for you, and both AA and SMART can contribute to that if you choose.

I have done most of the twelve steps, but I was hung up on the more spiritual aspects of their approach; while I do hold many of the principles of AA as very sound and conducive to sobriety for me. As you found the AA fellowship that you attended a possible social as well as sober outlet, I would keep going: the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. I did participate in SMART many years past, but I was not ready to stop drinking and just changed my colors to fit into the group for the time I was required to attend.

I expect that you'll encounter Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in SMART that you might find quite useful. I learned them in alcohol recovery therapy sessions, and I use them regularly to deal with my negative thoughts in anxious or depressive moments. Some of the mental and physical diversion suggestions that you have no doubt read about here are also very useful.

All of these things can help you stick to a plan of recovery -- physically, cognitively, and emotionally.