Notices

Terrible panic attack from 3 weeks ago binge.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible panic attack from 3 weeks ago binge.

Hey all,

I was doing very good until today. Now I'm freaking out.

So three weeks ago was my last binge, where I lost everything, and naturally, I report it to the police as I got robbed (which much very likely has happened).

Today I have received a follow up from the police asking me further questions, like if I was lying about something. Maybe it's just standard procedure to further inquiry, but it's FREAKING ME OUT.

I have so many feelings, I want to cry, I want to drink, I want to run away. I mean I know I have done nothing wrong, but I also have OCD and this is killing me; I make myself random scenarios that they I'll go to prison for some reason and such.

This totally destroyed my day and my mood.

Anyway, I just needed to vent.

Have a good Friday.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day Hope. I have dealt with anxiety and panic before too, and I totally understand how things get totally blown out of proportion.

Do you have any exercises or techniques that you use to help you calm down in these types of situations? Breathing exercises, walking, meditation, etc? Sometimes all it takes is getting your mind thinking in a different direction and you can stave off the panic before it comes.

Also - have you ever seen a therapist or counselor for help with your OCD/Anxiety? It really helped me out with mine.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling with this.

The Police are likely just following procedures, but I can understand how it's causing a lot of anxiety. Try to stay focused on your recovery and I hope you feel better. Do something nice for yourself today.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your anxiety; I agree that the police are only following procedures.

My daughter, who is in college, is bipolar and has terrible anxiety. She takes medication that her psychiatrist prescribed to her, which helps, but sometimes she has anxiety attacks anyway. When she does, she calls me so I can talk her through it Do you have anyone you can talk to about this? Don’t worry about sounding ridiculous or irrational; they are your feelings, and feelings are real. They just need to be processed so you know where to file them in your brain, if that makes sense. If you can talk to someone, it helps.

Personally, I’ve never had much anxiety until the stress of the last few years messed me up. I find that walking, reading something self-help related, or attending a group exercise class can help. Or playing with my dog, that little guy hasn’t a care in the world.

Hang in there!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Sorry to hear about your anxiety; I agree that the police are only following procedures.

My daughter, who is in college, is bipolar and has terrible anxiety. She takes medication that her psychiatrist prescribed to her, which helps, but sometimes she has anxiety attacks anyway. When she does, she calls me so I can talk her through it Do you have anyone you can talk to about this? Don’t worry about sounding ridiculous or irrational; they are your feelings, and feelings are real. They just need to be processed so you know where to file them in your brain, if that makes sense. If you can talk to someone, it helps.

Personally, I’ve never had much anxiety until the stress of the last few years messed me up. I find that walking, reading something self-help related, or attending a group exercise class can help. Or playing with my dog, that little guy hasn’t a care in the world.

Hang in there!
Thank you very much for your support.

In the first place, I do have some people to talk this through and it sort of softens my anxiety, nevertheless, I start making terrible scenarios in my head (although highly unlikely) like I would be framed and go to jail and stuff like this.

To a normal person, this sounds crazy, and it might be, but for me, it generates a lot of anxiety which is hitting me super hard right now.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hope . Sorry to hear your struggles i can empathise. Its so much harder to deal with both at once . Vicious circle and very complex . Mental healt causing self medicating ...self medicating causing mental health worse loke not bad enough -) and one ends up messed up properly. Then mental health cauising innflamation and alcohol causing inflammation so physical health messed up too. I recon to tackle both at same time . For me only abstinence approach did not work as underlying issues were there. So like was basically setting myself for failure. I m sometimes frustrated people say meditiate ... for healthy people without panick and fears its hard to learn meditation it takes years. So find your tool first . Mine was exercise but had to give up last week due to health so now very low but kinda looking for anything that gives me smallest pleausure without drinking. Good luck mate . We chatted before i know you make it as motivated . X D
Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hope

Try and breathe and relax - the police have to follow these things up. You told th truth - there's no danger of you going to prison. You'll be OK

D
Old 11-09-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Hope,
i was robbed during my last binge too. Don’t worry about the police. Every bit of my jewelry was stolen. I’m getting in the mind set that most items can be replaced with money saved by not drinking. Some of my jewelry had sentimental value too, given to me by my mother. If I drink I will lose even more things, loved ones even. I’m sorry this happened to you. But drinking won’t replace the items or improve the stress of police interactions. Stay strong and eyes forward.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My prayers and support to you. Meetings help me a lot. As does having a sponsor- just for someone to talk to.

Drinking will make everything worse- I did for me, and it can get a LOT worse than what you have experienced- turn this around and use it as learning.