Notices

The “Blue” Pill.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Trust me. Stop. Eventually SOMETHING bad is going to happen if you don’t. I tempted the fates for a long time, then last week — DWI. Thankfully I did not hurt anyone.

If you do not detox and get help for recovery you WILL lose everything. It is only a matter of time.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Please please please be careful if/when you quit. I used to start my day drinking at 6am and end it at 9pm and drink sometimes in the middle of the night. I didn’t have any liquor one morning and while waiting for the liquor stores to open at 9, I began having seizures from lack of alcohol.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi uhoh

I kept putting off my quit - I hadn't lost my job yet...then I did...I didn' drink all day yet...then I did...I wasn't in that bad a physical and mental state ...until I was.

I get that maybe none of this has happened to you yet - but it will if you keep it up - the progression is all one way.

You have a chance to get off now before things get really bad - I'd take it - whether it's AA or some other group, or counselling, or seeing your doctor or outpatient rehab, or simply just posting here daily, or even more than that - do something.

Don;t let your addiction carry you along like a leaf in the gutter.

D
Old 11-09-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
I don’t intend to be rude to anyone. I know you can all go back and look into my old posts. I said I would get better and haven’t. Sometimes I think, I know no one here and no one knows me. I posted for a reason, I need, want and appreciate the advice. My problem is, I’m so caught up in addiction, nothing else matters. I’ll read every post. I’ll ignore most. I feel like I need that one story or person to “click”. Sorry, I’m just trying to be completely transparent.
While a certain person or story may resonate with you, no one can help you or save you but yourself.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had a fulltime, tenured academic job, a newly built house and a young family- and was in a doctorate program. I decided I needed to control booze and there was no way in hell I could do a rehab- I had that option.

Fast forward many years- was drinking 5Lof rotgut wine a day- in a blackout, ciggie in mouth- butrnt to deatlh, clinically dead 3 times. My family abandoned me, I was then homeless and went straight back to drinking after hospital, lost 50kg and nearly died of self neglect.

No family- wife or 2 sons, no career, no home, no money, no possessions and ruined health- physically and mentally.

Then, and only then did I stop. It wax horrible, a hell on earth I cannot even begin to describe.

You have an awareness, this site- a job and family. What will you do with the knowledge you have?

My prayers and support to you and your family.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
I had a fulltime, tenured academic job, a newly built house and a young family- and was in a doctorate program. I decided I needed to control booze and there was no way in hell I could do a rehab- I had that option.

Fast forward many years- was drinking 5Lof rotgut wine a day- in a blackout, ciggie in mouth- butrnt to deatlh, clinically dead 3 times. My family abandoned me, I was then homeless and went straight back to drinking after hospital, lost 50kg and nearly died of self neglect.

No family- wife or 2 sons, no career, no home, no money, no possessions and ruined health- physically and mentally.

Then, and only then did I stop. It wax horrible, a hell on earth I cannot even begin to describe.

You have an awareness, this site- a job and family. What will you do with the knowledge you have?

My prayers and support to you and your family.
Your story always inspires me, Phoenix!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
Your story always inspires me, Phoenix!
Same here

Lots of wisdom and support here UhOh. This place might make you sober if you let it.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What a story Phoenix!

UhOh, sometimes things don’t start clicking until you’ve had a few months sobriety. But, you won’t know unless you get there. I hope you do. I believe you can.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I stayed quiet and read the replies all day. Thank you all. From the bottom of my broken heart, THANK YOU. Tomorrow is another day 1. Hopefully the last day 1 I ever have.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

we are always here- strength in unity-uo
Old 11-10-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Checking in UhOh. How are you doing today? 3 years ago, I was drinking every morning, drinking most of the day, passing out, and doing it over again. My career was tumbling and my wife had 1.99 feet out the door. She didn't really know that I was an addict. She knew I drank too much, but I hid a lot of it. But what she did know was that I had become a big fat liar. I lied to her constantly. And she was done. By that point, I wanted to quit but there was no way I could do it on my own. The biggest challenge was that life kept on spinning. Every day. None of my responsibilities stopped. People had to be fed, work needed tending to, kids needed their dad. Between the fact that I was actively addicted and that alcohol was so finely woven into the fabric of my everyday life, a life that wasn't going to take a break, I couldn't stop. I finally came to the realization that either I would die, my wife and kids would leave me, or I would get help. I found a very short 10-day inpatient facility, broke down to my wife and admitted everything, checked in that night, left 10 days later, and I haven't touched booze in 3 years. You don't have to follow my path, but you NEED to do something different. The status quo isn't working and life isn't going to stop for you. I also heard you say that the facility near you has no openings. My response is to find one, even if it is further away.