Notices

Ugh

Old 11-08-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Room1 View Post
I have the thoughts but won’t act on them, I don’t know why I think the way I do. It’s like my brain and soul are separate entities.
Alcohol caused those kinds of things for me, too. It's part of the spinning mind created when alcohol is continuously taken.

All of the crazy thinking dies down after some sober days get strung together, but I had to believe when people told me that because it certainly was a raw painful time, those first three months. I just kept doing things that were good for me until my nervous system leveled out again. Exercise, good nutrition, quiet instrumental Classical music on Pandora (free, check it out!)

It's going to be uncomfortable, not impossible.

I was drinking a lot. Like daily 12-16 units of hard alcohol for a long time. Years. Some days it was beer, but usually rum or tequila.

I've heard of people recently getting detoxed in the UK, so I'm not sure what you're telling them that isn't working. You don't give us much info.

I did a taper, because I didn't know any better. No meds then or now.

On day one I had two drinks.
Day two, one drink.
Day three, about a half shot of rum. That was it, and I was done.

I survived it, but like I said - I was determined. It wasn't particularly hard, just angsty and I was jittery and my mind was spinny. I didn't sleep through the night for weeks. I prayed. I posted on here. I went to AA meetings. I read about mental health and how to get it.

Any taper that would involve a lot of days, or drinking more than two units wouldn't have worked for me because three drinks was my tipping point and at three I would just keep drinking.

You can save your own life, but you have to make the decision.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You see Room1, your thoughts are a little clearer to me now- you are sharing more. Post here until your fingers cramp up. LOTS!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your posts. I’m not feeling quite as hopeless as I did yesterday/this morning
Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Room1, I will chime in on the cold turkey option as it is what I did. I chose an uncertain future, immediate and beyond, over a certain death by drinking. It was the right choice for me, though I was very sick and experienced a lot of unpleasant and some of them painful side effects of the alcohol truly getting out of my body and the damage I had done to start repairing.

If you have your mother to care for your children, and can have space to be "alone" (or otherwise arrange them being elsewhere or some ing) then you could choose this option. I can only tell you that I am grateful I did it this way.

Happy to PM details. You can quit, some way, and it sounds like you know that is what you need to do, asap.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Be careful with cold-t. I ended up in hospital after having seizures. My son found me- called ambulance. Years later he does not speak to me- even tho now sober 2.8y. I suggest you see a GP - and do it carefully and safely.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Room 1 I am in the UK and also went to an alcohol service desperate for help.

I totally understand what you are saying about them scaring you into not stopping, they did the same to me, kept telling me to keep drinking, Ridiculous!

As an alcoholic I couldn't taper, I was drinking 70cl vodka a day, sometimes more and one drink was all it took for me to drink to oblivion.

Long story short I did eventually just stop cold turkey, several times as I have had several relapses.

I didn't suffer any major physical symptoms and I did it alone at home. Maybe dangerous but I was left with no option much as I begged for help.

Keep your Mum close and do what you need to do.

Take Care.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sorry it’s been a while since I checked in, and thank you for all your replies.

I’m still struggling with this tapering thing they suggest. I did do really good then completely blew it again, so back to square one. I had a meeting yesterday, told again I don’t meet the criteria for detox, which is really stupid as Im obviously failing at this tapering schedule they have me on.

I can usually manage it for a few days, so think I’ll do that again then just quit and hope for the best.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It doesn’t help I have so much stress going on at the moment. I know that sounds like excuses but it really isn’t helping as obviously, how do I deal with stress. I got told yesterday alcohol is my only friend, that made me feel wonderful (sarcasm)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

They wouldn't detox me either.

Not actually sure what they do apart from give you drink diaries to fill in. I kept going to them for over a year but personally found the whole thing a waste of time and insulting to my intelligence with them just ticking boxes but not actually helping me.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That’s exactly what they are doing, nothing basically, I usually feel worse after going to be honest. The drink diary things are a joke, I’m drinking what you tell me to, why do I need to fill in a form everyday, how does that help? It costs me quite a bit of money to get there and then usually feel worse afterwards. I think I did better when I was doing it my way. I did get sober for a while, but a bout of pancreatitis helped with that, and I was in hospital. I just messed up again and can’t quite seem to sort it out this time.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered going to things like AA, SMARTRecovery or LifeRing, Room?

D
Old 11-22-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I basically did the cold turkey thing. I knew the potential dangers but luckily I got through it ok. What others have said is true- I'm finally having some success at this because the consequences of my drinking and behavior leveled up to the point where I want to be sober more than I want to drink. And I don't ever want to go back to the person I was. I didn't like that person at all and the depression that went along with that just fed the drinking and it was a vicious cycle I had to break.

Finally, I'm only at 22 days today, but I'm REALLY proud of those 22 days. I also know myself well enough to know that if I go back out there is a pretty good chance I won't come back, which would mean certain death for me. Spiritual death immediately and then just existing until the physical. And I very much want to live. Keep coming back, Room, and keep posting. Reading what others have said and posting myself helps me tremendously.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Room1. Personally, the whole tapering concept makes me mad when it comes to quitting alcoholism. I’m not a doctor so this is not medical advice. But personally I believe in either cold turkey or detox from my own experience and hearing from others. Can you get a second opinion? Who is telling you you don’t qualify for detox? Is it a rehab place or an AA group? Can you get a doctor to prescribe you an anti anxiety medication at least? Again, I’m not giving medical advice here. Just think you should question what you are being told and seek other opinions and options.

In the meantime, keep posting here. We are all here to support each other and you are not alone!