Notices

First time posting, need a little insight.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

that's great that you are feeling better!

yeah, I get it about doing something to make it more "official"...and overcoming the resistance to that.

i went o a Lifering Secular Recovery meeting for just that purpose. was only going to make myself go to one and never go back, but gee, turned out I LIKED it, felt welcomed, and understood, and vastly relieved, and wanted to go back. who knew???
Old 11-08-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

how are things going with you, Themechanic? hanging in there?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So very nice of you to ask!

I'm hanging in there all right, if it's ok i'd like to ramble on about it a little. Maybe this isn't the right place for that? Tell me if it's not, I'm new to this place.

Ok, so not drinking so far has been fantastic. I was never lacking in confidence but there was always this undermining feeling that I hope that people don't notice how hungover you are. Now I'm definitely not and that feels great! I have more energy, sleep better am in a better mood (especially in the morning) am a better parent and worker.

So far this week has been a difficult one, very busy and challenging many big things going on that will make or break the next few years. So very tempting to after a day like that to crack open a beer (or 12) and space out. Or to have a shot of wiskey (or 7) by the fire. But then the next day will be horrible and I wouldn't be as clearheaded and strong to make those decisions and to do my absolute best. Not to mention poisoning my liver.

It's not easy, tonight and yesterday as I type this I come home and my family isn't here (sports and music practice just a few hours) but it's strange to not drink when your so used to it. Drinking water instead.

My liver still hurts but less, I've been reading up on it and it scares the bejesus out of me. Not going to drink again **** that. I even ordered an Ice tea with dinner somewhere my friend couldn't believe it.

One more thing, I've only been sober for just a few days but I have no plans of drinking again so my outlook on the future has changed a little. Every time I used to dream about doing something I always factored in the drink now I don't have to do that! I feel liberated!

Anyways sorry for the rambling on and thank you again for asking, I talked to my girl a little about it but she doesn't seem to find it a big deal to not drink (she only drinks occasionally) I don't try to convince her otherwise, I'm the one who messed up not her, it's my fight and I intend to win!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

rambling is sharing, and sharing where you're at is a big part of SR, if not the biggest.
yes, I know that wide-open space of not having to factor in the drinking, the arranging for the drinking, the hiding of the drinking, the planning about the hangover from the drinking, the attempts to mask the after effects....oh yes. Liberation.
can sometimes feel overwhelming in and of itself. just a heads up in case that happens to you, in a moment here and there...
hope you keep sharing as you go along.