Notices

First Post

Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Hello everyone. Obviously my first post, and hope to learn a lot from the members here. I've been sober for over a week for the first time in about ten years. Last week I quit cold turkey and went through the usual withdrawals the first two days. The third day I started hallucinating. My wife woke me up in the early morning because I was having a pretty severe seizure. This was a first for me. She called the paramedics; I've never felt so low in my life.

I didn't take the ride, but did go to the hospital. Spent most of the day there. This one hit me hard and I'm taking meds for the first time and they seem to help.

The kicker is I get to spend a couple week in jail soon and a couple weeks on house arrest for my second DUI. I'm seeking help and am determined to make this change. Reading through this site has helped a lot and I just wanted to thank everyone for their honesty and sharing of their own experiences.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep moving forward in the right direction. Small step by step. I don’t know you, but believe in you.

I also believe everything happens for a reason. People have died from severe withdrawal. You have a chance to live a healthy life moving forward. So exciting!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome, you'll find a lot of support here.
I ended up in the hospital three times, so you're not alone there.
It didn't stop me from drinking, though.
I hope you can let this be your wake up call.
You had a rough time of it. I didn't go through withdrawal that bad, but bad enough so I should have been hospitalized numerous more times.

Sorry you have to go to jail, but that's the price we pay for recklessness and driving while intoxicated.
I did it many times. Even had three accidents. I could have killed someone. But I had sympathetic police officers. I even passed the roadside test. This is before they commonly made you blow.
Still scares me to think about it.

Best to you and you're not alone.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The kicker just may be a kick-start. Being jailed for a DUI gives you time to reflect on where you are now vs. where you want to be, and to think intently about your recovery plan. There are consequences for our actions, I know from experience, but how we learn from those can make a difference.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR azepellinfan

tons of support and good ideas here - glad to have you with us

D
Old 11-03-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'd recommend checking out an AA meeting Azep. Just go and listen. I'd recommend you say its your first meeting if you get a chance to. The first meeting is typically the hardest to attend (due to the prospective attendees fear) but it would be a good start. Lots of people there have been through the same thing that you have and the room will have friends you have not yet met. Take care
Old 11-03-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you! I'm so glad you've made the decision to change your life. We're here to encourage you on your journey. You can do this - we will help. You're never alone, azeppelinfan.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Azeppelinfan!

Good job for being sober for a week. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with coming up, but have faith that you can get through this. I'm glad you decided to join us.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Zepplinfan.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good suggestions here.
I’m also a zeppelin fan.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, azeppelinfan! It sounds like you have some consequences coming your way, but thankfully it could have been much worse and you've been given a chance to make amends and move forward with your life. So happy to have you here, you'll find a lot of support and help.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. Congrats on 1 week.... We can recover
Old 11-15-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AZF- welcome. SR is a safe and welcoming community. Your narrative shows a genuine and honest appeal for support- which you have here. You may think the situation your are in is a low as one can go.

NOPE.

I know- because I went so much lower- losing everything, including for a short time- my life. Use these experiences as learning tools. Daily support is so vital- and support outside your circle of family and friends- they have their own things to deal with. Meetings, here, a GP an counsellor are all things I use.

More support to you. Perhaps join some of the other threads? Like the Class of November 2018 one.