Notices

My guide to moderation

Old 01-15-2021, 07:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's so much easier and more fun to just not drink at all than to try to 'moderate'. No more chains.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Love this! Would occasionally look up the old post just to remind myself of the insanity, even when trying to 'moderate' ! Life much simpler now, and infinately better for it.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:12 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I never tried to quite moderate so much as just "keep it together" until I could get to safe place and really "finish the job proper". Which isn't very safe is it? Drinking for me - almost always ended in blackout - and if it didn't - I was frustrated trying to drink more and more.

Moderation - is just an excruciating thing to do my brain/body. Here's a taste - now deal with cravings and the booze monster all night. Either A. be pissed you can't drink, be preoccupied about it and be a grumpy a$$ or B. drink so much you may p*ss off someone or yourself - among other things.

I do like this post and read it every time it's bumped. Thankyou LessGravity.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Time for another bump on this great post!

thanks again, LG
Old 05-14-2021, 07:00 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I'm bumping this thread based on a conversation I had with a new member.

The freedom that you want is there for you if you can give up trying to control your drinking. Those who can moderate don't need to, those who need to can't. That simple. A better life is waiting for you.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:53 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very timely, less. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

More people need to read your 'Guide' less. It's excellent.

Thank you.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:23 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Moderation is often something alcoholic can do if they are taking meds like
Gabapentin
Kratom
Painkillers
Any benzodiapines

All those will help a heavy drinker OR an alcoholic to lessen drinking (or stop) or become content at much lower levers of alcohol consumption.

I believe honesty should be displayed in these threads and am very surprised that people who know OP is a Kratom user are not bringing this up.

I don't know what to think of SR these days due to this.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:37 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

This is great - perfect for a Friday evening. Should be published. Thank you. Truth in Humour........love it.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:48 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Originally Posted by iAmSam View Post
Moderation is often something alcoholic can do if they are taking meds like
Gabapentin
Kratom
Painkillers
Any benzodiapines

All those will help a heavy drinker OR an alcoholic to lessen drinking (or stop) or become content at much lower levers of alcohol consumption.

I believe honesty should be displayed in these threads and am very surprised that people who know OP is a Kratom user are not bringing this up.

I don't know what to think of SR these days due to this.
Hi Sam

I would normally send a PM but as you've made remarks like this publicly in two of LG's latest threads, I think it needs addressing.

As far as I know Kratom is legal in the US, so I'm not sure what you expect 'SR' to do..

There are lots of people here who are struggling with prescription pills for example, or alcohol, or cigarettes or other legal drugs.

What ever you or I might think of it, or of people using it (I have no idea OP if was using it in 2018 when he started this thread or if he still uses it) that doesn't detract the good of this thread for me anyway.

I think Less (like everyone else here) is entitled to the same help support and understanding that all of us want for ourselves, and want to provide for others.

People come here because they are broken and want to get better.

Not everyone quits all their addictions at once.
Some of us still use prescribed meds and consider themselves still in recovery (me included)
Some of us may take paths that others don't agree with....

but we don't shoot our wounded.

Plain talking, with possible solutions, can be constructive,.
Setting out to embarrass our fellow members is not.

The fact remains this is a thread thats helped many people.

If it's really a deal breaker for you, maybe put LG on ignore?

If you need to discuss this further please PM me, out of consideration for the members who find this thread useful,

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 05-14-2021, 08:09 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Sam

I would normally send a PM but as you've made remarks like this publicly in two of LG's latest threads, I think it needs addressing.

As far as I know Kratom is legal in the US, so I'm not sure what you expect 'SR' to do..

There are lots of people here who are struggling with prescription pills for example, or alcohol, or cigarettes or other legal drugs.

What ever you or I might think of it, or of people using it (I have no idea OP if was using it in 2018 when he started this thread or if he still uses it) that doesn't detract the good of this thread for me anyway.

I think Less (like everyone else here) is entitled to the same help support and understanding that all of us want for ourselves, and want to provide for others.

People come here because they are broken and want to get better.

Not everyone quits all their addictions at once.
Some of us still use prescribed meds and consider themselves still in recovery (me included)
Some of us may take paths that others don't agree with....

but we don't shoot our wounded.

Plain talking, with possible solutions, can be constructive,.
Setting out to embarrass our fellow members is not.

The fact remains this is a thread thats helped many people.

If it's really a deal breaker for you, maybe put LG on ignore?

If you need to discuss this further please PM me, out of consideration for the members who find this thread useful,

Dee
Administrator
SR
Ha, thanks Dee. I'm glad you were paying attention to whoever this guy is, I sure wasn't. Just to be clear for anyone who is struggling, and as anyone who knows me here - I quit drinking without using kratom or any other substance. Not that I would judge someone who used it or one of the others that work for people. ​​​​​​Alcohol is the substance that almond destroyed me, not this that or the other thing. And I'm free.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:10 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for clarifying Less.
I hope everyone can move on now.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 05-19-2021, 11:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

This is fantastic, LG. Perfect and painfully true. Great writing. I’m so glad I saw it. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2021, 02:40 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Personally I think the original post is one of the best posts I have ever read here. That said I think Sam is certainly entitled to his opinion. To me what/how the OP does with her recovery is not as important as the message typed in the original post. For most of us the idea of moderation is well described in the original post and it resonates with us as a great description of the truth.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:10 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Many people I know have gotten into a drinking problem and successfully moderated to be able to drink sensibly. I'm in AA and the drink is to die thing doesn't apply to most people, however i'm guessing from your experience that you are what we would call a REAL alcoholic where you are not drinking a bottle of wine a night and fed up with getting up hazy?
Old 05-20-2021, 04:37 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I just read this for the first time - truly excellent. It made me think of people who believe that drinking is some kind of sophisticated activity or lifestyle... You know nothing, look at the amazing elegance of us "moderators"!
Old 05-20-2021, 11:56 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scd619x View Post
Many people I know have gotten into a drinking problem and successfully moderated to be able to drink sensibly. I'm in AA and the drink is to die thing doesn't apply to most people, however i'm guessing from your experience that you are what we would call a REAL alcoholic where you are not drinking a bottle of wine a night and fed up with getting up hazy?
I tend to believe that those of us who can "moderate" don't need to, and those of us who need to can't. Seems a bit clearer and simpler than trying to define what a "real" alcoholic is. That's just me though.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
quat

I’m definitely not an alcoholic, I don’t drink.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:32 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

You know I am throwing my 2 cents in on all this moderation discussion! It's a fool's errand, at best.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Fantastic and how bloody true 👍