Notices

My guide to moderation

Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So scary but true, i will re read your post alot. Thank you
Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bunch of back-and-forth going on regarding thoughts on moderation. I thought long and hard about this concept and decided to bump my post on it for those considering the option.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is ******* brilliant. Thank you lessgravity.

Wow.

I'll be referencing this again, to be sure.

I mean, seriously, can we sticky this post?

Wow.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I knew someone was spying on me

Great post!
Old 03-04-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A true classic - the impact never gets old.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Less, this is brilliant. Somehow I missed it the first time. Insightful, funny/sad, well written and absolutely true!
Thank you for reposting
Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Bunch of back-and-forth going on regarding thoughts on moderation. I thought long and hard about this concept and decided to bump my post on it for those considering the option.
Thanks Lg. I will read and reread. I’m stuck in the lie that I CAN moderate. But being truthful I WANT to moderate but CAN’T.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Saw a recent post related to this thread I had written. Somethings in here I wanted to remember as well.

Moderation doesn't exist - those who need to can't and those who can simply don't need to.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Totally me until about 5 years ago.

For those in the heat of battle- I’m sure you recognize it’s not easy. Please also try to recognize that it’s worth it.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lol not a fan of the clickbait title, big fan of the content.

Needed that today thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Caught myself

I read this spectacular post in early March...I forgot I had. Gee, I wonder why. Caught myself as I read the comments.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great stuff right here!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Less
Thanks a lot for this post on moderation but I think it is more about being an alcoholic than an alcoholic moderating to any great success but maybe thats the point. I remember you gave up drinking around the same time I started 31/2 months sober last year and you strike me a formidable sober man considering all the socials you have been able to go on. I suppose I am trying to reach out (while drinking) and ask you and others at what point do you decide moderation is useless and decide upon sobriety?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oleaceae View Post
at what point do you decide moderation is useless and decide upon sobriety?
It's hard to say, and I remember wanting to hear from others the same answers you are looking for, during my days before I finally turned the corner. I think the truth is that I always knew I had to quit, or at least I had to quit in order to live a life worth living.

I look back and I can't believe I lived a life for so long that was in service to alcohol - everything was colored by my need to drink - my fatherhood, my career, my health, my relationships with women, my friends, my family, my money - everything was sacrificed at the alter of my addiction. So when did I decide that moderation/still drinking was useless? I wish I knew man. I think I really knew all along but I lived in a state of permanent adolescence for so long. It was easier, as brutal as life was, just to go on pretending things would change.

But of babble there bro. I can only say that getting sober was the best decision of my life.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Less
It sounds like you are not sure but you had the strong need to give up the booze and since then you are so happy for it. You sound so strong in your sobriety and your gains against being drunk. I feel like I am hitting myself again and again, still with a loving wife and a teenage son that is sweet but one day will challenge my habits if it goes on. There comes a time eh?... trying to talk myself into it
Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Fantastic

This is the first time I've read this post and it is spot on the truth. I can relate to every point!! Very well written thank you so much
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suppose I am trying to reach out (while drinking) and ask you and others at what point do you decide moderation is useless and decide upon sobriety?
I'm not a good example because I had 20 years of evidence that I couldn't moderate my drinking and I ignored it all until my life was in danger.

My advice to others is to define what moderate drinking is to you. The CDC (U.S.) defines it as

To reduce the risk of alcohol-related harms, the 2015-2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that if alcohol is consumed, it should be consumed in moderation—up to one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men—and only by adults of legal drinking age. This is not intended as an average over several days, but rather the amount consumed on any single day.

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-she...e-drinking.htm
For anyone reading, If any of that seems ridiculously low to you or not even feasible you might have a problem.

If you find yourself regularly 'changing the goalposts' on what moderate drinking is for you then I'd suggest it's likely you have a problem.

D
Old 06-03-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

This is such a great guide to moderation that I think I'll just savor it, but never use it
Old 06-04-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

with a loving wife and a teenage son that is sweet but one day will challenge my habits if it goes on. There comes a time eh?... trying to talk myself into it
Have you looked into AVRT or read Rational Recovery? I'm not an AA person, though in no way am I opposed to it, and RR was absolutely instrumental in getting me sober.

For me, my family has been the leverage I needed to put down the drink for good. I have a boy who is about to be a teenager and a newborn - it's exciting for me to think that my newborn will never know me as a drinker and that I will be/am able to make up to my son the years I spent in the bottle during his life. There is perhaps no deeper, more meaningful thing that having a family, my wife and my kids, who can look you in the eyes and rely you on in every way. I could not be that person when I was drinking. I am now. A different world. Not always easy, not always fun, but with more meaning and life and peace than I ever, ever had before.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Less
It sounds like you are not sure but you had the strong need to give up the booze and since then you are so happy for it. You sound so strong in your sobriety and your gains against being drunk. I feel like I am hitting myself again and again, still with a loving wife and a teenage son that is sweet but one day will challenge my habits if it goes on. There comes a time eh?... trying to talk myself into it
Oleaceae - there is never a better time than now. Promise. Glad you are somewhere in the process of deciding "when" - but it won't get better the longer it takes you to make it happen. Best to you for that now part.

PS - LG, I think I'm going to copy and paste this for one of the accounts I manage for the restaurant groups. Thanks again for the bump