Notices

Weekends

Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekends

So tough to stay sober on the weekends. I feel so strong all week long, no cravings at all. As soon as I get out of work on Friday the cravings come on strong. Crazy how I tell myself all week I’m not going to drink, then Friday comes and my brain starts bargaining with me to drink.... I stayed strong and resisted... hoping for the same for tomorrow, and life gets easy again come Sunday..
Old 11-02-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Havinng something to look forward to on the weekends has helped me. An activity I normally don’t do. I’ve found that going places in the evening helps (meetings, shopping ect) it’s nice to drive at night, I never did normally as I was always wasted by dark. Browsing SR helps a lot too. Or having a good movie too look forward to, or even just s good dessert I will treat myself too. Stay strong, you got this!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great cravings tips here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

why not hang out in the Weekender thread too?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-2018-a-3.html (Weekender Thread 02-05 November 2018)

D
Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Regardless of what day it is, I look at drinking as a high interest loan I take out that has to be repaid tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Something you said really struck me - when life gets easy again come Sunday.

That up and down roller coaster of drinking/regret/"being good"/etc was exhausting. And truthfully, it got worse when I was pretty much drinking all the time because of how horrible I felt mentally/emotionally and usually physically during the ride.

Getting even keel is one of the best things about sobriety. Now my weekends don't have the drama, and any day can be as good as another. Hope you check out the threads and suggestions above - and IRL ideas to occupy time and help you change habits and such?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You work all week and get freedom on Friday and want to celebrate it. You are going to have to find something else that doesn't involve alcohol. It is social aspect why not still go along but don't drunk. Might not sound like fun at first but once you get used to it, it might be. Dance rather than drink.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It really helped me to find a really good Friday evening AA meeting. I now give others a lift there as well which means I'm less likely to skive off it, and the ride there and back is pretty sociable.

in early recovery I needed to make sure I'd planning things to do to punctuate the weekend. This took the firm of various activities and hobbies. Maybe you can think back to things you enjoyed before drinking took over (I had to think back pretty much to childhood). Those things are still there. I did tap dancing, creative writing, cake decorating, doll making, bell ringing, various exercise things, trumpet lessons - with varying degrees of success and obviously, not all at the same time lol. Most important for me though was getting to meetings and being with other recovering alcoholics. Esp those with good strong sobriety. I found a lot if hope there.

Bb
Old 11-04-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips/support everyone. I made if through the weekend and I felt great today. It’s now Sunday night, and it sure is nice not to be filled with anxiety, dreading Monday morning. I’ll wake up tomorrow feeling fresh and energized, ready to face the week.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Something you said really struck me - when life gets easy again come Sunday.

That up and down roller coaster of drinking/regret/"being good"/etc was exhausting. And truthfully, it got worse when I was pretty much drinking all the time because of how horrible I felt mentally/emotionally and usually physically during the ride.

Getting even keel is one of the best things about sobriety. Now my weekends don't have the drama, and any day can be as good as another. Hope you check out the threads and suggestions above - and IRL ideas to occupy time and help you change habits and such?
^ This

I was a weekend warrior at one time but weekends eventually got extended to also include Sunday and often Thursdays. The worse part is that Monday morning depression because it meant five more days before I could drink again. Sobriety is a lot less exhausting and every day can be a good day.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stop thinking of drinking as a reward and start thinking of it as the punishment you will have if you drink. I love waking up sober and I've never woken up feeling good and wishing I had drank the night before.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats goodlife

D
Old 11-05-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting through it. Weekends are definitely a battle for awhile. good job.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The same exact thing happens to me every Friday. I have to chase a meeting like I would chase the alcohol. I would suggest getting into a meeting immediately after work. I go to one at 5:45 and then call my sponsor after the meeting - a consistent thing EVERY friday that I have to do so I won't drink.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hardinge View Post
Regardless of what day it is, I look at drinking as a high interest loan I take out that has to be repaid tomorrow.
love this xxxc
cara x