Notices

3 weeks sober! Still wondering if this is normal symptoms?

Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks sober! Still wondering if this is normal symptoms?

So I’m glad to start off by saying today is my 3rd week sober. I recently posted about 10 days ago about my symptoms and I’m still worrying. I’m going to make this short and simple. Is there anyone out there that can relate to how I’m feeling? One day I’m feeling ok but still kind of out there then the next day symptoms are a bit worse. I still am feeling confused, heavy to medium brain fog that literally feels like it’s sitting on my forehead/eyes. Also have this feeling that I’m zoned out/fuzzy head. Also when I exercises I get lightheaded and don’t know if that’s normal. My eyes seem to have also have a weird feeling that hard to describe and at times they are kind of blurry. It’s just a hard thing to explain and I’m sure there are people out there that know what I’m talking about. It scares me to think that this has happened to me and my anxiety makes the symptoms worse when the anxiety hits. Is there anyone out there that can relate to this? I know that the brain takes a long time and that everyone is different with recovery speed as well. Some days I feel like I’m just losing hope and that this is permanent brain damage. It really has been a stressful 3 weeks especially when you do not feel normal. Days seem to be floating by and it’s all just a weird time. Any reply’s are greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

First...congratulations on three weeks!

What you are experiencing sounds pretty normal to me. I know it took a couple or three months before my brain fog diminished. My emotions were out of what for quite a while, too.

If you are concerned, you might want to talk to your doctor.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Three weeks is pretty early in recovery so you can expect to feel crappy and 'off' for a while. It gets better with continuous sobriety. Congrats on three weeks sober!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post

What you are experiencing sounds pretty normal to me. I know it took a couple or three months before my brain fog diminished. My emotions were out of what for quite a while, too.

Thank you I greatly appreciate that and your response. I guess the best way to describe it is kind of like buzzed or in a hard daze. I figured that it would get better but the journey already seems hard. I’m not going to give up though. Can you relate to the buzzed feeling? It hard to describe it.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Three weeks is pretty early in recovery so you can expect to feel crappy and 'off' for a while. It gets better with continuous sobriety. Congrats on three weeks sober!
Thank you! Hard to accept that this is happening to me and I’m sure a lot of other people. If I didn’t have my head up my butt and would have known about this I would have stopped binging a long time ago.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Blake,
I can relate. I had (have) exactly the same symptoms you described. I sometimes feel more whacked than while I was still drinking. Some mornings I actually wake up feeling like I have a massive hangover.

Also been wondering about it, but keep telling myself it's my brain healing. I'm 72 days sober . I too hope this will pass at some stage.

What I did find, is watching my sugar intake carefully, does help me feel better. I do feel much better if I limit it or try and cut it out completely and try and eat throughout the day. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on 3 weeks! And YES everything you describe was part of my healing process.

I was very sick when I quit - most of us, at whatever stage of alcoholism, have been hurting ourselves enough that nearly anything and everything in our body has been effected. Weird "buzzed" or lightheaded feelings, vision issues, all of that was part of it for me. I went through an extended healing process.

Things like hydration and for me, naps, and getting on as regular a schedule as I could were all important.

The only way to keep feeling better is to not drink, so you don't start this process all over again. What are you doing to find a new life sober? It's a great thing to begin living!

Glad you are here.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Hi Blake,
I can relate. I had (have) exactly the same symptoms you described. I sometimes feel more whacked than while I was still drinking. Some mornings I actually wake up feeling like I have a massive hangover.

Also been wondering about it, but keep telling myself it's my brain healing. I'm 72 days sober . I too hope this will pass at some stage.

What I did find, is watching my sugar intake carefully, does help me feel better. I do feel much better if I limit it or try and cut it out completely and try and eat throughout the day. Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you for the reassurance. It real does suck that it has came down to this. I never thought I would have been the one to go threw such a thing. It seems like it’s pretty common from reading what people have to say. Scary thing is that I don’t want to drink again because I’m scared even if I have 1-2 down the road after a year that this will start all over again. I hope you feel better very soon.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great job on 3 weeks! And YES everything you describe was part of my healing process.

I was very sick when I quit - most of us, at whatever stage of alcoholism, have been hurting ourselves enough that nearly anything and everything in our body has been effected. Weird "buzzed" or lightheaded feelings, vision issues, all of that was part of it for me. I went through an extended healing process.

Things like hydration and for me, naps, and getting on as regular a schedule as I could were all important.

The only way to keep feeling better is to not drink, so you don't start this process all over again. What are you doing to find a new life sober? It's a great thing to begin living!

Glad you are here.
Hi there. It really sounds like you are or were experiencing basically the same symptoms I am having at the moment. I think it’s more of a buzzed feeling then it is brain fog I can’t really tell the difference. My eyes will be mild most of the time, yet sometimes they get that weird blurry vision. How long was the process for you? When did the buzzed feeling start to get better and the brain fog/vision? It really makes the days harder to go threw thinking how long it might take to feel better.

Im currently unemployed at the moment. I left the Publix distribution center a month ago and was suppose to head out trucking 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately i has to turn down the job due to how I have been feeling. I surely don’t want to get behind a semi truck feeling this way. Things have got better since the first week but I’m in no shape to put my life or others at risk not being mentally all there. I have been thinking about getting a part timer till I start to feel better. Been exercising 3-4 times a week but seem to get a very big buzz off of that. Also been eating clean and trying to lower sugars. Taking B vitamins and fish oils. Just hoping this all passes pretty soon. Thank you
Old 11-03-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 2 yr going on 9 mo sober. Like I said, I was VERY ill when I quit - I finally heard the dr who told me I had a year, 18 mo to live if I didn't quit. It took me 90-100 days to start really evening out and while I felt energetic and healthy-ish by 6 mo, the very active server job I went back to at that point and for the next year encouraged me to need a LOT of rest around work. Prior to the FT restaurant work, I had gotten a job at Chick Fil A which was a structured, set shift environment that was very positive. I had to come back to life in every way and part of that was filling up time, like you mentioned with getting a PT job.

I would describe my eyes having a problem with spatial relationship - some blurriness- driving scared me for several months. I had to trust that everything would get better with time and NOT drinking at all. I did experience the cluster of symptoms known as PAWS - there is a good article on digitaldharma.net that goes into what we can experience through the first 6 mo to 2 yrs. Don't let the article scare you, as it is informative but certainly not the case that everyone has such an extreme experience as I did.

Again - three weeks is really - REALLY - early. I don't know how long or how much you were drinking, but I firmly believe the cumulative damage to our bodies is real for everyone, and to varying degrees and persistence.

I began exercising for real (5Ks) at 10 mo in, and my now husband and I did one a month in 2017. Til a back injury this spring, I had gone on to an intense hot yoga practice. Overall, my health is very good for a 42 year old with a severe alcoholic history.

Have you looked into daily support? My path is AA and while it isn't medical treatment like a good dr (I have an excellent team that were critical in the beginning and are maintenance now), all the other aspects of recovery, like emotional and mental, are IMO more important than physically feeling better, though it ALL takes time.

Glad you are here- keep going.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are suffering, but it all does sound very normal. I had tremendous brain fog for a long time after getting sober. I had problems writing and typing, thinking of words. I live my life in two languages, English and Italian and I regularly mixed up the languages or couldn't think of a word in one language but used the word from the other language. It was really rightening. Unfortunately I relapsed and had to go through it all again. I lost a job over it, I just could not handle the work or perform to the standards required. My memory was shot, I couldn't concentrate, to the level of being very scary. Throughout this time I went to many doctors, had an MRI, ECC, ECG, blood work, full body sonogram, and more. They did not find any problems.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes definitely you are experiencing what I consider par for the course, at this point. It was about one month in that I started to get a real "pink cloud" feeling where everything started to feel great, so keep up the amazing work because you're getting close!!
Old 11-03-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I am 2 yr going on 9 mo sober. Like I said, I was VERY ill when I quit - I finally heard the dr who told me I had a year, 18 mo to live if I didn't quit. It took me 90-100 days to start really evening out and while I felt energetic and healthy-ish by 6 mo, the very active server job I went back to at that point and for the next year encouraged me to need a LOT of rest around work. Prior to the FT restaurant work, I had gotten a job at Chick Fil A which was a structured, set shift environment that was very positive. I had to come back to life in every way and part of that was filling up time, like you mentioned with getting a PT job.

I would describe my eyes having a problem with spatial relationship - some blurriness- driving scared me for several months. I had to trust that everything would get better with time and NOT drinking at all. I did experience the cluster of symptoms known as PAWS - there is a good article on digitaldharma.net that goes into what we can experience through the first 6 mo to 2 yrs. Don't let the article scare you, as it is informative but certainly not the case that everyone has such an extreme experience as I did.

Again - three weeks is really - REALLY - early. I don't know how long or how much you were drinking, but I firmly believe the cumulative damage to our bodies is real for everyone, and to varying degrees and persistence.

I began exercising for real (5Ks) at 10 mo in, and my now husband and I did one a month in 2017. Til a back injury this spring, I had gone on to an intense hot yoga practice. Overall, my health is very good for a 42 year old with a severe alcoholic history.

Have you looked into daily support? My path is AA and while it isn't medical treatment like a good dr (I have an excellent team that were critical in the beginning and are maintenance now), all the other aspects of recovery, like emotional and mental, are IMO more important than physically feeling better, though it ALL takes time.

Glad you are here- keep going.
Im so sorry to hear that and I’m glad you are here with all of us today. I can relate to the driving part to where it’s uncomfortable to drive due to this eye sight blur and this buzzed feeling. Like I said also some days it more manageable then the next and so on.

Im 25 years old, have been drinking since about 17-18 Y/O. I would say the last 3 years I have been a binger, drinking 2-3 times pretty hard a week. It hit me one morning and I thought I was hung over till the 2nd or 3rd day in. It’s been a ride but I know I shall get threw this.

I have been just just trying to eat more healthy lately as well. I’m drinking about a gallon of water every day as well. Exercising, going to the gym, walking dogs also helps. Although going to the gym gets me feeling lightheaded/buzzed. I have not gone to any AA meetings or even a doctor yet. I don’t have the money to go see a doctor atm being that they will probably want to do a lot of tests. I’m just along for the ride and can’t wait to see what it’s like being sober. Have not been sober since I was like 15-16 years old.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I am so sorry you are suffering, but it all does sound very normal. I had tremendous brain fog for a long time after getting sober. I had problems writing and typing, thinking of words. I live my life in two languages, English and Italian and I regularly mixed up the languages or couldn't think of a word in one language but used the word from the other language. It was really rightening. Unfortunately I relapsed and had to go through it all again. I lost a job over it, I just could not handle the work or perform to the standards required. My memory was shot, I couldn't concentrate, to the level of being very scary. Throughout this time I went to many doctors, had an MRI, ECC, ECG, blood work, full body sonogram, and more. They did not find any problems.
Thank you! I’m sorry you had to go threw this again as well. It really is a scary thing to not feel yourself for weeks and weeks at a time. Are you currently feeling any better? How was your healing process and when did you start to feel better?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Yes definitely you are experiencing what I consider par for the course, at this point. It was about one month in that I started to get a real "pink cloud" feeling where everything started to feel great, so keep up the amazing work because you're getting close!!
Thank you so much I greatly appreciate your response. I’m hoping that I can start to feel a lot better here soon. It’s been 3 weeks and it seems that things get a bit better every week. When you say “pink cloud” are you relating that to feeling better? Sorry I really have never heard that term before lol. Did you also have that feeling of being buzzed but not drunk feeling? That’s the part that’s killing me.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Blake et al,

I didn't even find sr until I was 80 days clean.

It took over a year to feel amazing at times. Now I feel amazing most of the time.

Of course, my av says...you feel amazing, let's celebrate by drinking.

I still wake up feeling like I got hit by a bus sometimes. I think sugar intake is a big cause. I avoid sugar if possible. But, this time of year it is especially hard.

Addiction was the only reason I would have ever tortured myself w hangovers for all those years.

Sobriety is true freedom and I thank God every day and night.

I had to suffer like hell to get this clean. I am never going back.

I found certain foods help or hurt me in feeling good. Exercise is also a key player.

When I think I feel weird, I try to run for 15 minutes or so. Pretty soon all i think about is how bad i want to stop running. The real suffering overrides the mental suffering.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well i do want to sound negative .. but friend of mine who is no a drinker has the same staff with anxiety ...brain fog etc all symptoms so i can only say or advice according to reasearch first addictoon after heal what u brought u into addiction x D
Old 11-04-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The obvious reply is- if you are worried, see a doc.

Support to you.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Hey Waterox, I tried to message you back and it say you storage is full on your inbox. If you get this message me back so I can resend my message.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post

Is brain fog the feeling of being buzzed/ or stoned without the real effects of it? I literally have this feeling every day. It’s starting to worry me because it’s not something i or anyone would want to feel. Definitely don’t feel normal and also my eyes are being effected as well. Kinda light blurry vision when looking threw one eye and just not so great of eye sight. I literally feel like I’m walking around buzzed/stoned.

Also so one I get insurance I’m going to go see a doctor. Been doing well no alcohol or cigarettes anymore. Just want this feeling to finally lift so I realize I’m not mentally stuck like this for ever. Never had this happen to me so I’m kinda scared.

Thank you you for the information and insight. Can you please tell me if you had the same experience with eyes and that brainfog/buzzed feeling? Are they considered the same?

Thank you so much