Notices

Who drinks ONE glass of wine???

Old 11-02-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who drinks ONE glass of wine???

Tonight my wife decided to have some wine, on her own, just the two of us and the kids home making dinner. When she said she wanted some, she sort of stepped back for a moment and asked me if it was uncool of her to want a glass. I said no. She barely ever drinks and hasn't been drinking much at all as we have a 5 month old baby.

As we ate dinner and she sipped her pinot noir, I felt both annoyed and some mild self-pity. And then I watched as she had only that single medium sized glass of wine. It was like watching a whale jump out of the ocean and start seeing the Beatles. I just couldn't believe my eyes. I know she doesn't drink much, and has absolutely no issues whatsoever with alcohol. But just the idea of wanting to have a single medium sized glass of wine blew my mind.

And what I felt was simple revulsion towards what I knew I would want if I finished that medium size glass. I would want bathtubs, truck loads and to drown myself in booze booze booze.

Anyhow those days are long gone for me. So I'm going to watch some basketball, get up early in the morning and hit the gym. I don't have the escape that I used to have in booze. I don't have the simple relaxant that my wife has either when she has a small glass of wine. But that's okay, in fact it's kind of terrific. Here's to life sober.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post LG

also,congrats on your son!

Glad you shared your thoughts and plan.
Hugs
Old 11-02-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool insight post....I was laughing because I know how you feel...I just couldn’t have a sip for taste and be happy with that .... no I have to keep it going to feel that so called escape from life that I’m trying not to deal with at the time or every time I would drink.. Like you I use other distractions to focus on stay sober.. I’m right along with you brother... Sober for life!!!!!👍👍
Old 11-02-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers!

The guy I'm seeing knows I'm a recovering alcoholic and has been super supportive. But he is weird about alcohol sometimes.

We go out and he has one G+T and a glass of wine and talks about feeling lightheaded after "all that booze".

He went away on a work trip and drank every night for a week at business dinners. The first day back, he felt like pouring himself a drink at cocktail hour... and worried aloud he was becoming addicted to alcohol.

Both times I wanted to throw my head back and roar with laughter. You are NOT an alcoholic, darling. You are nowhere close. And I'm so glad for him that that's the case.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Normal drinkers!
He went away on a work trip and drank every night for a week at business dinners. The first day back, he felt like pouring himself a drink at cocktail hour... and worried aloud he was becoming addicted to alcohol.

Both times I wanted to throw my head back and roar with laughter. You are NOT an alcoholic, darling. You are nowhere close. And I'm so glad for him that that's the case.
That is how it starts, not so funny. People can become addicted quickly it doesn't take 30 years for everyone.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel you, lessgravity. For decades I yearned to be able to have 'just one' without following it with an ocean of booze as a chaser. I suppose I'll wistfully have that dream locked away at the back of my Beast's cage but I too never genuinely saw the appeal of just having a couple.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was strange at first, working in a restaurant after I got sober, to see how many people actually do have one drink, or even part of one and leave the rest. Just like I do my coffee when it gets cold half finished.

I'm glad they do it if they enjoy it, hope they take care of their health, and just go on about my business. It's just not my thing and I am very happy about it.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So true!! I have been prepping myself for a meeting I have this evening. The family who owns one of the villas I manage is in town right now and have invited me up "for a glass of wine and to visit" The father loves wine and I know he is going to open a special bottle for the occasion. But I have been thinking to myself, which is worse, politely declining the glass of wine or accepting the glass, downing it in 2 minutes and asking for another? If I choose to drink I would no doubt look like an ass. If I choose to not drink I will keep my reputation in tact.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Normies" do that. WEIRD!!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SO so true. Wine was my drink of choice. I do and will not stop at a glass. I will drink the whole bottle, then open a second bottle, and drink that one. I'll then pass out.

That is how I drank wine. If I went out for a meal and had two glasses of wine, I'll ask for a third and a fourth etc

Amazes me when people can just go for one drink and stop, it seems utterly ridiculous. How can that satisfy people?!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That’s why I still can’t quite relate to the “alcohol is poison” mindset, that undoubtedly works for some. I think of it more along the lines of us alcoholics being like people that are allergic to shellfish, who simply cannot eat prawns.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Less, how incredibly lucky you are to have a wife that can enjoy one glass of wine!
Old 11-03-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My Mum has one glass and it takes so long for her to drink it that I'm pretty sure all the alcohol has evaporated by the time she finishes.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You should see my wife. On a sunday cleaning house and doing yard work she made at least 6 trips to the fridge...

...to almost drink 1/2 the bottle that day.

Who pours 2 oz glasses of wine and makes them last an hour?
Old 11-03-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea... I don't get it either. To the point it's hard for me to not be judgmental about it. I just don't see the point. It's not like alcohol tastes really good... I mean, not like a good old lemonade or soda or something.

I even catch myself wondering what's going on behind the brain psychologically - is it some sort of social thing? Something else?

And then I just remember to not give it more attention than it's worth. It's booze. I'm not drinking it. Go nuts if you want to. In fact I'll probably avoid it mostly and avoid scenes with too much of it just because I find to a point that, well, there just doesn't seem to be any point in any of it to me anymore.

-B