SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Not to worry but take stock (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433703-not-worry-but-take-stock.html)

Gerard52 11-02-2018 04:34 AM

Not to worry but take stock

I just watched the youtube "rain the heart". The most stark statement from the doctor was about cirrhosis and it being progressive even if you stop drinking. It didn't mention if it slows down when you stop. There was one subject in the documentary who had 10 years sober and then died of liver disease out of the blue.

No way of knowing if you are passed the point of no return in respect to liver as much of the damage is silent. On the postive side if you stop before cirrhosis reversing damage is possible.

I think I was having symptoms that indicative of pancreas problems. These have all but gone since stopping. The pancreas seems to play second fiddle in terms of health concerns compared to the liver but it is right up there.

Mummyto2 11-02-2018 04:50 AM

I’ve watched that documentary, it’s an eye opener

tomls 11-02-2018 04:52 AM

I too was having organ issues while drinking. They seem to have all straightened out. I am a different person inside and out. Best wishes for you on your journey.

Guener 11-02-2018 05:16 AM

I was never one of those persons worried over my health problems from drinking to allow me to stop. In actuality others were sure I would drink myself to death, and the idea of being forever gone was just an extension of my desire to check-out from life. I never stopped to think of the physical illness after drinking was hurting others, too, by unnecessary visits to the hospital or by lost productivity or absence from my responsibilities. I was on a mission to drink, even romanticized it. No doubt I have shortened my life from the experience.

Awake61 11-02-2018 05:24 AM

pretty sure I shortened my life by my drinking. But - I plan on spending what moments I have left being present for myself and loved ones. Feel grateful for this change in me. SR has helped so very much.

entropy1964 11-02-2018 05:49 AM

The other, ehem, major organ that seems to be forgotten is the brain. I don't think the true damage really starts to show until we really start to age. I can't help but believe that alcohol is playing a significant role in the huge rise in dementia. Oh and there's the cancer thing. That's pretty huge too.

And our horrible diets aren't helping anything. Oh and the prescription drugs. So our poor livers don't stand a chance.

D122y 11-02-2018 05:59 AM

We all are thinking alike. Once the physical crave dissipated, the mental ramps up.

Knowing what we know, organ/brain damage, gives us the analytical firepower to defeat the ever weakening mental anguish we must endure for a good while.

It gets easier, but we must never forget. That is part of the point in coming here and going to aa meetings etc.

I am positive I have irreversible damage as well. I will try to take care if what i have left by never drinking again and trying to stay fit.

Thanks.

Mummyto2 11-02-2018 06:58 AM

Well I hope I haven’t shortened my life please god, my uncle was a raging alcoholic for years, mainly spirits, but his been sober for 30 years now, so there is hope for us all

NerfThis 11-02-2018 07:38 AM

As D122y has mentioned, my concern is mainly my brain. I was definitely concerned about my other organs while drinking, but they seem to be noticeably better now. Surely not as good as a normal drinker, but much better than they felt when I was drinking.
My memory is a joke though. At 35 I am unbearably forgetful and struggle to retain new information, but I have seen some improvement over the weeks. All I can tell myself is it will only get worse if I drink. Nothing can magically fix it, but one thing can make it a LOT worse.

Soberween 11-02-2018 10:30 AM

I was abnormally concerned about getting cancer when I was actively drinking. My thought process was that my liver was so busy processing the toxin alcohol that other toxins could slip through the system and I would get cancer as a result. Now, I have a healthy attitude and do the yearly mammogram and actually had the genetic testing done (thankfully, it was negative), but it is much more rational approach.

mcconnth2017 11-02-2018 10:41 AM

I focus on what I have for today. I don't let my mind wander to dwell on the past. There is nothing I can do about my past drinking and the effects it had, or will have, on my body. The only thing I can control is not to drink today, go for regular check-ups, eat well, lead a healthy lifestyle, etc. I always told myself I would stop drinking when a doctor told me I had to do it for my health. Then I would worry that my body was so toxic from alcohol that it would go out of whack if I just stopped drinking. It's amazing how we justify things to ourselves. 155 days sober today.

Hawkeye13 11-02-2018 04:09 PM

I found memory really improved over protracted sober time.
After the first year or so when I quit, my brain actually got sharper than it had been in years.

We really can heal a huge amount if we stay sober and take care of our bodies with proper nutrition, self-care, and adequate sleep.