Notices

Bricks in My Sobriety Wall

Old 10-30-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bricks in My Sobriety Wall

1. My sponsor. If I am close to a drink, I need to take advantage of the relationship I have with my sponsor and give her a call. Meeting up with her and sharing my cravings and experience almost invariably reduces my urges.
2. Meetings. I've had a moment in sobriety where I wanted to drink-bad-and I said to myself "just get through a meeting first. Then you can head to the liquor store." Low and behold, when that meeting was over, I didn't wanna drink anymore. If cravings are really bad, I'll show up early and set up all the chairs- service keeps us sober.
3. Nature. The colors of fall leaves, the crunch of pine needles beneath my shoes. The sound of the wind in the branches or a morning dove, or the smell just after it rains. Nature grounds me and reminds me that we are all connected to a greater spirit of the universe.
4. Prayer. I say the third step prayer daily, I can read the bible, go to church or simple look up at the sky and remember how big God is, how His plan for me is so much bigger and in the grand scheme of things, my small finite craving is insignificant.
5. Exercise. I get outside for a brisk walk and it clears my mind, gets my blood pumping.
6. Art. Watching an artistic film, painting or writing a poem connect me to my creative soul and remind me that there is so much beauty in the world.
7. Love. I hug my significant other or I call my friend and tell her I miss her. Love and connections keep us sober.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1. Commitment: I will strive however I need to not to pick up a drink.
2. Mental sobriety: I will take my medications for depression and anxiety as directed. I will use my CBT techniques to the best effect.
3. Integrity: I will endeavor to be honest with myself and with others in all my affairs.
4. Contingency: I will use my recovery plan to seek aid when I am struggling
5. Growth: I will replace my negative behaviors with new activities that support my sobriety
6. Humility: I am a limited being who will accept criticism
Old 10-31-2018, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love these shares, y'all!!

I do lots of the same. As far as daily BB stuff- I read 84-88 and 417-418 every morning. I especially like doing the Step 10 inventory - about the day prior- and HALT, also about the day prior and my night's rest (sleep is tough for me and I am dealing with pain from a back injury).

And naps - naps are still really useful (as is what I call the Send Myself To Bed Early technique) here at 2 yr going on 9 mo!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great posts!

Up early having coffee before my surgery today, and just thinking of one giant one-/remembering that alcohol doesn’t take away the anxiety.

A member here, Nez, wrote that we should keep the front door and back door open so our feelings can come in (that’s important ), but to let them out the back door quickly without offering them tea.

It’s helped me.

Another is all of you and your wisdom.

Thank you