Notices

in a rut

Old 10-30-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in a rut

I've quit many time for month at a time. that's the most i've ever done. the first few times i did it i felt exhilirated and high on life. but each time i go back and each time i try it again, i feel less exhilirated. this time i'm on day 30.

this time i'm happy to not have hang overs and not feel sick and not be unable to work. but i don't feel motivated to do anything. i'm quite tired all the time. i push myself to go for walks and go on little trips but feel like i'm falling deeper and deeper into a rut of nothingness. most of the time i'm laying on the couch surfing the net or watching movies or random youtube stuff. i'm starting to wonder why i stopped drinking and am missing that feeling of being buzzed. i've got a long weekend coming up and know i've got to talk myself out of thinking this way. i can't go back the way i was. i feel like i'm waiting to get that exhilirated feeling back but it's not coming which makes me wonder why i'm going without. the old life is seeming so appealing right now. i know this is crazy talk can someone help talk me out of this?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found it very helpful to add things to my schedule to fill the old drinking hours. Meeting others also helped me not be so bored.
Stay strong!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness... I知 feeling the same way right now... I知 115 days sober and I知 super craving right now.. the AV voice is strong.. I知 fighting like you ok... whats helping me is drinking a lot of hot tea and water 💦... then to knock down that voice I think about how I felt.. and how I felt like a complete drunk.. like a nobody.. like I知 just throwing my life away..... I don稚 want that no more... it starts getting old fast... Then I come back to reality and realize the craving has passed... Hope this helps.. Best wishes to you in your recovery 😊
Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you're feeling poorly.
Have you thought about seeing a doctor? What you're experiencing may not be related to alcohol at all.
It's certainly nothing that drinking will make better. Think of the hangover coupled with the way you feel now.
I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it might be an idea to talk to your dr if these feelings continue. It's possible that you are depressed. Don't let yourself fall into depression.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would also suggest a doctor visit to get checked out. Depression can strike anyone but it is treatable.

Don't drink, whatever you do!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like what my depression was like and for me I needed medication AND counseling....lots of counseling as there was so much to process and face and deal with. But I also remember feeling bored and tired and the reality was that I needed to find something to do - so I began volunteering and being of service to other people and it made me feel better.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 30 days tranquilseeker.

It took me a long time to really get my energy back -90 days plus - I think I underestimated the impact my drinking had on my mind and body.

I also had to do more than just not drink.

My whole life was about drinking and coming home collapsing on the couch and channel surfing til I fell asleep just didn't cut it for a sober guy.,

Think about what you want for a sober life - what that might look like for you - and go for it.

I needed booze to tolerate my old life.

Trying to live that life more or less unchanged, but sober, made me feel really low.

If you think the problem could be depression then by all means of course discuss that with your Dr

D