SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi everyone, back again. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433583-hi-everyone-back-again.html)

Charli23 10-29-2018 01:30 AM

Hi everyone, back again.

I’m back again. Haven’t been doing too bad but I’m seeing old habits starting to come back again. I’ve gone from 4/5 binges a week to maybe 1 or 2. The weekends are a killer. Spent the whole day in bed hungover yesterday and I’m not wasting any more time . I’m trying to make a plan , I also want to quit smoking so should I do do it all together? Has anyone done this before? Also love to hear your advice for healthy eating, mental health or just generally improving well being. Also Christmas party season approaches so just wondering if you guys have any advice for dealing with it! Thanks in advance!

PhoenixJ 10-29-2018 02:04 AM

Hi Char, what ever you decide to do- put thought into it and make sure you have support. There is a lot of info in the Newcomer's sticky's on your questions about plans, Christmas and health.
The only point I would raise- for me, I had to stop booze altogether- no compromises, and I needed a lot of support to do it- meetings, SR, counsellor, journal, research, GP.

Support to you.

Vinificent 10-29-2018 02:05 AM

Hi Charli - personally I have to tackle things one at a time or I don’t follow through completely, so dealing with my alcohol addiction had to take a precedence before I could focus on anything else. There are others who have successfully treated all of their addictions and poor habits simultaneously, but personally this only made for worse binges. Once I achieved abstinence from alcohol I am now able to focus on developing healthy eating habits and improving my environment, which I could never do while in active alcoholism.

So if you want to tackle quitting smoking at the same time and you are constitutionally able to do so - great! But if abstaining from alcohol is the primary focus of your plan and you find trying to fix everything at once too overwhelming, perhaps you can tweak your plan to focus on abstaing from alcohol, then “graduate” to quitting smoking, eating better - whatever else you are looking to accomplish.

As for the holidays- the best advice I can give is Be Prepared. Bring your own favorite beverage, and don’t be afraid to cut your visit short if you start to feel uncomfortable.

Guener 10-29-2018 02:49 AM

Hi, Charli. One of the things that I've learned in dealing with mental health for myself is that I have to prioritize the things that are under my control to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Quitting the alcohol is a pretty big plate to take on by itself, and not smoking can be a significant added stressor, physically and psychologically. As you feel better you can add smoking to your program of living in a more healthy way, and the consequences short-term of continuing to smoke (some) while you give up the drink are less severe than if you continue to drink. If you believe you have to give up both at the same time because you have heart or pulmonary problems, too, I'd consult a doctor.

allishope73 10-29-2018 03:15 AM

Hi Chris well done for decision. I managed to quitt both. Smoking made me more anxious but i replaced by exercising i could exercise better. I can tell from expierience after couple of days no cravings. Also smoking accompanies drinking so if quitting both motivation is higher. But priority is alcohol. Good luck whatever decision x D

Charli23 10-29-2018 03:18 AM

Thanks guys, I don’t have any health issues . Purely want to get fit and healthy. Today I have been alternating between vape and smoking. It’s going well. I’m really grateful for this site and all the support that is here! I’m having a clear out in the house. There is no alcohol here so there is no temptation. But I know when Thursday comes along I’m going to have to “play the tape forward “ . Giving up vodka is definitely the number one priority right now. It turns me into a monster, someone I am not.

Tetrax 10-29-2018 05:05 AM

Hey just thought I'd say what is so far working for me. I dual used cigs and vapes for two months then ditched the cigs completely four months ago (I still vape when I would have smoked), and now I'm quitting drinking: it feels like a natural progression of quitting. Of course, booze should have been the priority for me but I still kept thinking I could moderate until I realised I most definitely could not. For now I feel the vaping is a big help to me, not completely quitting EVERYTHING and all...

TeeJayVerm 10-29-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Charli23 (Post 7043486)
I’m back again. Haven’t been doing too bad but I’m seeing old habits starting to come back again. I’ve gone from 4/5 binges a week to maybe 1 or 2. The weekends are a killer. Spent the whole day in bed hungover yesterday and I’m not wasting any more time .

This is me in a nutshell right now. On those occasional binges (once or twice per week), I just rot in bed and spend a good 12-15 hours sleeping... even if I feel fine physically.

I wonder how much of your hangover is physical and how much of it is mental? Self-awareness about drinking has really sapped the energy and motivation out of me to get out of bed and face the day. Talk about wasting time... :headbange

TeeJayVerm 10-29-2018 05:20 PM

I've never been a smoker but I likewise want to get fit and lose weight. I have lost 25 pounds this year but need to lose another 50 or so.

In terms of the holidays... I agree that you should be prepared to cut visits short if it can ultimately trigger a relapse. I am also planning my holiday visits accordingly.