Notices

Identity theft stress

Old 10-28-2018, 10:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Identity theft stress

Going through a nightmare. My wallet was stolen with my driver's license in January. I just got a letter that there was a warrant for my address in Sacramento. Investigated...it's real. Got a lawyer. Someone committed a crime in my name. $2,000 in for airfare to Sacto (I was home in LA on the date that the theft occurred) and the lawyer. Will surrender and get booked to quash the warrant, then the lawyer will go to court on my behalf if we can't just make this go away easily.

On the way to Sac I had a trigger at the airport when I passed the bar.

It struck me that I had, not once, craved a drink during this time.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If yer gonna commit a crime, at least do it in your own name, some people! Good luck man, that is a nightmare for sure.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can get it all sorted out quickly MM - and yeah - nothing so bad a drink can't make worse, man.

D
Old 10-29-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow that's crazy. I didn't know a warrant could be issued on a virtual person. That's obviously naive. Seems weird that this couldn't get dropped more easily as part of the identity theft deal.

I'm so sorry. What a pain in the ass. You're probably feeling quite the victim now, and rightfully so. That powerlessness and frustration is probably what triggered you so powerfully. You know booze won't help. Good on ya for resisting!!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, that's really terrible, but you handled it. Glad you passed by the bar without stopping: that would have been another form of (new) identity theft. Be well, and make sure that the arrest is promptly expunged from your record.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brutal, personal experience with the same
Nightmare is right.

Additionally, there is absolutely nothing like an airport to send up those false nostalgic demons for me too. Good on you for staying sober, though I get the sense it's simply not an option anyhow

​​​

​​​
Old 10-29-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

MM, I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with this, but you will get through it, sober and strong.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear MM. People can be such jerks sometimes. Sounds like a total nightmare.

As far as feeling triggered in the airport.... I would say that's just your brain falling back to old strategies and your AV being opportunistic. You've come too far to fall for those old tricks again.

That sure sucks about the identity theft though....
Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mindful Man -- I too had something like that happen a while back. I found that I HAD to stay sober in order to deal with all of the intricacies of fixing the situation. When I did, I purchased a LifeLock membership. It's really helpful.
Good luck to you!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is pretty scary that they can issue an arrest warrant on you when it wasn't you.

Seems so easy to do identity theft - I'm really sorry, MM. I hope you'll get it sorted soon. Really disturbing.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was summoned to court for a civil suit for something that was not mine for not paying rent in a town I have never been to , six hours away.

I called the court and explained what happened and I was able to send in documents showing I own my home, and have consistently been at work so there is no possible way I could have been renting there. My employer called for me and helped me, and the courts were actually quite considerate in helping me as well as there was no way I was going to go 6 hours away and go to court.

I am sure it depends on the courts though.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When they stole my SS they just used it for work.

Someone got a job with a photocopy of my id from the place I worked at next door.

Arizona police told me everything looked normal and there was no way the employer could have known. I still had the old ID in my possession that was used to get the job. Business owner was in politics nothing happened.

It's still hard to file taxes, took years to sort out.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope everything is sorted out quickly and finally, MM!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

As it was a criminal matter, per my lawyer the fastest way to solve this was to get booked so she could get full discovery. I'm waiting at the police station in Sacramento. Lawyer after, then ifly home.

I'm always triggered at airports, its more of a habit than a strong craving. What amazed me was that through all this stress I never once thought of drinking.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's terrific.

You are now a non-drinking person, and non-drinking has become your default!