SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alcohol is *boring!* (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433561-alcohol-boring.html)

Hardinge 10-28-2018 01:38 PM

Alcohol is *boring!*

After thinking about it a bit, that's what I've got to say about it. It's just that simple.

Alcohol will eventually make one's life so boring that even the act of recovery feels like an adventure.

So that's what recovery is to me. It's an adventure to rediscover something that I've not experienced in a long time,..sobriety.

,..and that's not boring. It's exciting.

Anna 10-28-2018 01:51 PM

I think that alcoholism is very isolating.

I'm glad that you're feeling good about your sobriety.

least 10-28-2018 01:53 PM

My drinking life certainly was boring. Drink. Pass out. Wake up feeling awful. Drink to calm the shakes. Day after day. :( So glad I'm sober now.

Guener 10-28-2018 02:10 PM

Alcohol certainly became a boring activity for me, in time. The only excitement that it seemed to bring for a long time after I became a drunk was the uninvited kind: arguments, ambulance trips, arrests, and more along those lines. I'd rather be perceived as dull than a grotesque for others to see. I still need to work on adding things to my life that bring me joy, other than being sober, to return to the whole life again. Opportunities abound.

PhoenixJ 10-28-2018 02:14 PM

yes!

Gettingcloser 10-28-2018 02:26 PM

I completely agree. Now that I am sober I am always on the move doing fulfilling things. When I sit down it is because I am actually tired not immobilized by my drinking.
I see relatives of mine who, after their work week spend all weekend with beer in hand. They rarely leave their house and make no plans to go out.

Hardinge 10-28-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 7043201)
I think that alcoholism is very isolating.

I'm glad that you're feeling good about your sobriety.

It's been a very long road for me, Anna. In many ways alcohol is a left over remnant from a former unhappy life. Ridding it from my life is the last step in putting all of that crazy stuff behind. I guess that's why I'm feeling so good about it.

Hevyn 10-28-2018 02:46 PM

I used to think how boring life would be without it - but in the end, my life was pathetic. You're right, Hardinge. :)

gettingsmarter 10-29-2018 08:24 AM

Totally Agree!

MindfulMan 10-29-2018 09:43 AM

Good way to put it. I was always very social but as the drinking got worse I became increasingly isolated. Funny how many people say that not drinking is boring. I grew bored with negotiating with alcohol.

TeeJayVerm 10-29-2018 05:28 PM

That is an interesting perspective, and I agree.

You are living life which can interesting and adventurous and alcohol only hits the "pause" button on that life. However, you continue aging... and 10 years of alcohol use can equate to 10 years of lost life.

Fearlessat50 10-29-2018 08:26 PM

I like the way you think! Can’t believe there was a time I thought I couldn’t live without it.

thomas11 10-30-2018 07:12 AM

Such a great point. Alcohol split us from the heard and keeps us isolated from life.

TeeJayVerm 10-30-2018 01:25 PM

This may help explain why my mid-life crisis is hitting me so much harder than other people. A small silver lining is that my problem didn't become a major problem until about three years ago. Before that, I feel like my life was going well... some work and personal struggles notwithstanding.

mcconnth2017 10-30-2018 01:51 PM

Thanks for the thought today. I guess my recovery makes sense at this stage in my life. I always look for something new or a new challenge or a change. Whether it is a new job, house, getting married, having kids, moving, etc. Alcohol had become a boring routine that had gotten particularly bad the last few years before I stopped 152 days ago. I am now focusing on not drinking, exercising my mind and body, eating healthier and re-dedicating myself to work and my family. I don't feel as though I am white-knuckling through my sobriety. Sorry for the ramble. Just trying to figure out this whole new sobriety thing as I go.