Notices

The Young and sober

Old 10-28-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Young and sober

Honestly, I am so impressed by the number of people in their 20's I see getting sober. Particularly from alcohol....the reason I make that distinction is because alcohol is legal and heavy drinking is so accepted when we're young. Its almost expected. Its woven into everything, especially in college and the 20's.

I often don't post to you youngins because honestly, I don't know what to share. I always feel badly when I don't post because I am seriously so impressed...but speechless I guess. There is NO doubt that I should have quit in my 20's. For sure. But I didn't really know to....if that makes sense. Or maybe I did but I could hide in plain sight with all the other party animals. Of course, the party animals started having kids and pretty soon I needed new friends. Haha.

It is really good for me, even today, to read the posts from the younger generation because it makes me dig even deeper into the truth of my addiction. No my life wasn't unmanageable. Yes, I could control my drinking....most of the time. But my life was definitely a bit out of control, even back then. I just can't imagine what my life would look like today if had had the huevos to quit in my youth. But then again, I wouldn't be the ME I am today. And I'm actually kind of ok with me now.

So you young ones, here's to you. Here's to a healthier body (believe me when you're 50 you'll really be grateful you quit), a much lower chance of dementia, cancer, career debacles. And the biggest one of all? You can raise kids the way I wish I had raised mine. Sober. Truly, that is the only way we, as a society, can ever get ahead of the addiction cycle. By not passing it on if at all possible.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've noticed that I'm a bit older than many of this group, also. My drinking started in my 20's, and there's many bad instances that I could relate which took place from then on into my mid 40's, or so.

As it is with me lately, my drinking hasn't caused a lot of bad public scenes. It's just been something that I did on a daily basis which would increase to a point until I would pare it back a bit, then repeat the cycle.

Basically, the animated part of my drinking problem had been replaced by just sitting around the house every day sinking deeper and deeper into the vodka hole until it was time to go to bed. Then getting up next day and starting the routine again.

It's been a long time for me and it's simply lost all of its appeal. I feel fortunate that so far, I've noticed no physical discomfort from stopping drinking. But it's early and that may be a part of my recovery before it's over. If it is, I plan to take it in stride. But I'm not going to introduce alcohol into my routine again. It's been there too long already and there's so many good things that come from putting it down.

Not the least of which is an improvement in self esteem.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Hardinge

I dunno. There are a lot of people here that represent the 'older' crowd.

I'm just glad to see so many younger people. Here, in other forums and in AA. Its a great thing. They have a chance to say 'drinking is sooooo 20th century'.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear it, Flick. I know what you mean about not responding to some of the posts from the younger folks. It's not that I'm not sympathetic to their situation. But that period for me came and went without me doing anything about it, for myself. So I honestly don't have any strategy to share with them.

If I knew what to tell them, I wouldn't still be working to get straightened out at this late date.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well its never too late. And never too early. We are so powerfully programmed to believe that alcohol is so 'cool'. There is nothing less cool then someone who is intoxicated.

Ya know what's cool? Running into a friend on the greenbelt, along the river, after both of us have had a good run. THAT is cool.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, that's a fact. It's never too late.

It's never too late to start getting a good night's sleep and waking up in the morning feeling good.

It's never too late to start living *all* of every day instead of less than half of it,...or even none of it.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's an interesting observation, Frickaflip, and I wonder why it is so. Maybe it's happening that younger people are getting sober because the attitudes toward going into recovery have changed over the years, and it's messaging that is getting through. It would make for some interesting research.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 25 years old.. I don't know many people sober my age. Most are using something. The amount of binge drinkers I know is huge. Most of my peers are smoking pot being the chill drug while alcohol is the party drug.

I skipped out on a few parties this weekend to stay home and reach the 2 week mark (again.) Bored and sad because I've come to accept it, handled a situation badly at my job and I ended up quitting / making them fire me. I'll never be able to live a good life drinking and drugging.

I won't use again. One day at a time.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Guener

No doubt education is a big part of it....the internet as well.

Whatever 'it' is, I'm just impressed with anyone really trying to change at such a young age. I sometimes think it might be easier with respect to the addiction itself. Not as late stage maybe, less physical impact, less behavioral reinforcement. But I think the social side of it, the constant challenges there, negate all that.

Bottom line: Its admirable and I hope they learn, a lot faster than I did, that if its bad now? Keep drinking. It WILL get worse.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Ready

Well I know hindsight is not the gift of youth. But if you can take to your heart all the stories of the ravages of addiction from us old timers, you are many steps ahead of where I was.

I had to learn for myself. And maybe that's the nature of addiction, and the nature of, well, me.

But I so wish I could have really accepted that drinking was a dead end. It would never work. I think I did/have finally learned that fact and do see the writing on the wall now. Just wish I had seen it 20 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm not living in a world of regret. But sure would have been nice to just grow the he!! up when, well, I became an adult....

I would imagine that establishing a social life/fun life that doesn't revolve around alcohol is central to your success. What are you trying to do to help you there? Boredom is a killer.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readyt0change View Post
I am 25 years old.. I don't know many people sober my age. Most are using something. The amount of binge drinkers I know is huge. Most of my peers are smoking pot being the chill drug while alcohol is the party drug.

I skipped out on a few parties this weekend to stay home and reach the 2 week mark (again.) Bored and sad because I've come to accept it, handled a situation badly at my job and I ended up quitting / making them fire me. I'll never be able to live a good life drinking and drugging.

I won't use again. One day at a time.
25 is definitely the perfect age to begin configuring your life into what you want it to be. I can't tell you what that is. But from what you've said, it definitely sounds like you need to be around a different group of people.

For many people, life is a series of phases. At age 25 you're probably just coming out of the first phase after school. Give some serious thought as to what you want the next phase of your life to be.

It's obvious that you don't want alcohol or drugs to be a part of it. So whatever you choose, see to it that it doesn't revolve around partying.

Take advantage of your youth in a positive fashion. Many of us older folks would give anything for a chance to go back to age 25 and start building our lives into what we want them to be.

You have that right in your hand.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it. I'm 25 and did about 8 good years of hard heavy drinking. I've done enough drinking to last a life time. I am done.