Notices

Have you ever been stolen from?

Old 10-26-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you ever been stolen from?

I’ve realized during my last drinking episode, which several “friends” were over, I had diamond earrings stolen. I feel like such a fool for being so blind. I’m more determined now though to stay sober and clear headed. This is not the first time either. It will be the last I let loser thieves in my home. How pathetic I must be drunk letting this happen.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Walking home drunk from a bar by myself someone stole my wallet right out of my pocket. Tried to run after them to no avail. Life is much simpler and better not having to worry about putting myself in situations like that any more.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know someone who let their 'friend' and bf stay with them 'for a while'. They stayed, and when they left, they took the IPod and phone with them.

Better to live sober so things like that don't happen.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had some guys wander into a jam once and steal some CDs and I had my wallet stolen once in the street when I got pushed over but I'm not sure how much of that we can blame addiction for.

I've been pretty lucky really

D
Old 10-27-2018, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you lost something precious to you.

I have been stolen from many times, mainly through burglary. On one particularly bad occasion we got burgled, they stole the car and set the house on fire (we were on vacation). We lost everything. However, we recovered and are fine. So, yes, I have been stolen from many times, in fact, everything I owned in a material sense was taken from me for a short period of time (we had insurance)

Regrettably, one of the key takeaways for me from the above experience was that trusting people around you is naive at best and insane at worst.

I hope you can use this experience as a motivator to quit drinking.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got picked pocketed once in Rome.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

No but, my boyfriend's alcoholic mother accused me of stealing all her jewelry in front of the entire family. They had nothing to say to me. I was extremely hurt and upset. Little did I know the she does this stunt from time to time. She gets totally drunk and hides her jewelry not even knowing what she had done. She found it later rolled up in a carpet in the basement! No apology...I now know better.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Atomic Blue, I have put myself in truly horrible situations due to alcohol. I can’t anymore, being sober I’m going to put myself in safe situations. Boglerd, this year I’ve had my car stolen, yes I have insurance but now I walk to the public bus to work everyday. The quote naive at best and insane at worst is so true, I truly was both.

This morning I realize it wasn’t just the earrings, two necklaces with diamond cross pendants have been stolen. One of the necklaces my mother gave me 💔. I’m going to the police here today, although they rarely do anything. The truth is it is my fault, I let alcoholics and drug addicts in my home. I trusted desperate people.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the diamond ring my deceased father gave to my mother stolen, it was valued at 6k and was priceless to me.

Police could do nothing, no proof. I was devastated. Never again.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
I had the diamond ring my deceased father gave to my mother stolen, it was valued at 6k and was priceless to me.

Police could do nothing, no proof. I was devastated. Never again.
😢 I’m so sorry, that’s awful. Being sober we keep our guard up and protect ourselves and belongings. I feel so stupid. I know who stole from me, but I feel it’s dangerous to confront them. When I leave this place I will let everyone know who they are and what thieves they are. But for now it’s best to avoid them.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been stolen from many times and it's heartbreaking. But I wasn't drunk, so much as trusting people and places I shouldn't. I was drunk once and someone stole almost everything out of my purse, so I know that for sure can happen too.

We live and learn and I try to be a more watchful and giving people more time and space before I trust.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In all cases, except one, I knew who had stolen from me. I confronted a few, unless it did not feel safe to do so. I got some of my stuff back from one girl I hired to come by my place and walk my Doberman, he loved her, and if she had the time to hang with him, as I was working long hours at the time. She stole almost everything I owned, clothes, shampoo, expensive make up and jewelry, anything she could, like I wouldn't notice?. There was a lot I didn't get back.
I told her mother and her mother said it was unconscious. How do you walk out of a house with hefty bags full of my things and not know you are doing it??? I can't wrap my head around that. You do feel so violated and hurt.
Lesson learned the hard way.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My boss lent me a truck for a couple months earlier this year. One of my roommates stole it one night and tore it up pretty bad. Literally, one of the wheels almost fell off. That really ****** me. I have been on the bus since.

The worse part was facing my boss. I was under suspicion of relapse due to it. They thought I may have known about it, lent her the keys or aided in some other way. That part bothered me more than having to take the bus.

The way I see it is that I had it coming. I tried to help someone, and let my guard down. I don't let people get close enough to me anymore to pull some **** like that again. Someone else can save the world.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Almost in a real life situation. My wallet was in my right pocket and I had a beer in my right hand on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on New Year's Eve. I felt something and slapped the wallet with my left hand.... turned around and he was standing there with his head down. I was smart and just walked on without confronting him. (I was lucky... I wasn't as drunk as I would have normally been in that setting.)

In the era of internet commerce... yes. Amazon has taken a lot of my money over the past few years.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((least)))