Notices

Day 6 .... sober reading material?

Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 .... sober reading material?

Hello team,
I started this journey just six days ago. My week I spent in bed very sick from gastritis pain. Then yesterday I dealt with the pain to run a lot of errands after work was so negative about running the errands that I thought to drink to deal with the long bus ride. But honestly, the errands were easy, I had a burger 🍔 to reward myself and a peaceful bus ride home. Then I realized all my jewelry had been stolen last week during a party to which I was stupid enough to trust users.

Anyways, it’s Saturday. I’m safe and sober at home. My life and health are getting better by the day slowly. For my week complettion tomorrow I want to reward myself with a sober reading kindle book. I’m thinking SMART recovery workbook or Refuge Recovery: a Buddhist path to overcoming addiction? Any suggestions? Good reads?
Old 10-27-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on six days!!

A book I always recommend is Living Sober- it is a really easy read about the first year of sobriety. Not sure if it is available in Kindle version but the paperback is available on Amazon. It is not an AA publication but is published by Hazelden, the well known MN rehab place with its own publishing co.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have a great Book List compiled by our members:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 6 days jcmart!
Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 6! I love books about personal recovery stories as well as educational books on alcoholism and addiction and what it does to the brain. I also follow Buddhist principles for living so I have that in common with you. I have read Refuge Recovery and it is good.

From Anna’s list, I’ve also read One breath at a time (another Buddhist oriented path to 12 steps), Allan Carr’s Easy way to control alcohol (one of my favs), Clean by David Scheff (as well as his book Beautiful Boy about his son’s meh addiction. Also enjoyed reading The Fix online recovery site which his son contributes to), Realm of Hungry Ghosts, Alcohol Explained.

Other great books: moments of clarity, Drinking by Caroline Knapp, Bottled, Unwasted, Blackout. Buddha’s Brain is not about recovery per se, but helped me a lot in changing habits in thinking and behavior, which has directly aided my recovery. I recently read Russell Brands Recovery: Freedom from our addictions. He talks about how 12 steps and HP in a secular way and how the steps can work for everyone not just those recovering from substance abuse. He is crude but funny and I like his sense of humor.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m sorry about your stolen jewelry
Old 10-27-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fearless, you are quite the reader. So many good books, I’ve listened to russel brand talk about addiction, so that sounds good, many good reading selections here. I am just
in the middle of between breaths by Elizabeth Vargas. It’s okay, but I’d like a guidance manual for recovery. Think I’ll get Refuge Recovery.
thanks again to everyone replying, being here is really been a blessing to me this past week.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too like to read recovery books and did a LOT of it early on in particular.

Russell Brand's book is hilarious. His views are a good example of how the 12 steps can be helpful to pretty much anyone, ever!

Blackout was a whole lot like my story. Drinking: A Love Story is one I have read many times and Caroline Knapp was a remarkable person.

I like Patrick Kennedy's books as well, especially the one that is compilation of people's stories of recovery (I forget the name).

I also often find the articles listed on the right side of the SR pages to be good.