Notices

Another new guy

Old 10-26-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another new guy

Just saying "hello" and would like to hang out here on a regular basis to help overcome my problem with alcohol. I think just having an online place to "be" will help give me something to occupy my mind and my time.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. This is a great place for support and useful advice. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello to you Hardinge! You will find that having this site to go to for support is a great beginning. It helped me when I started this process and I still find that there are days that reading about others like myself helps me continue on the right path. Read and post whenever you are feeling you need some support.
I am sure Dee will be along to say hello and he will ask what your plan is. You will need a plan. What to do to stay the course. It is doable! Welcome.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Hardinge.

When I found SR I was so relieved to know others felt just like I did. No one else in my life had a problem with alcohol & they had no idea what I was going through. We are here to encourage you - you're never alone.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SR helped me so much a couple of years back. I got complacent but, I’m glad to be back and glad you are here too.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really appreciate the replies.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I've never considered a detailed plan. I'll have to think on that before I meet Dee. My typical drinking hours usually have begun in the afternoon and continued as long as I had liquor. There's no doubt at this point that I have a drinking problem. I've had one for quite a while. On occasion I've stopped for as long as 2 weeks at a stretch. But it seems that I forget why I decided to stop.

I guess my current thinking on the matter is to stop long enough that it's no longer a part of my routine.

I'm really sick and tired of this half alive feeling every day. I know for a fact that I feel much better on those days when I haven't had alcohol the day before.

I think the first thing I want to do is make a special point to take note of my improved mental and physical condition on the days after I've had nothing to drink. Learn to appreciate them. To pay attention to the noticeable improvement associated with sobriety and to not be so casual in trading away tomorrow for last night.

I've got to make that make sense to me.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Hardinge
No pop quizzes here then, lol

this is a good link to help you formulate your own recovery action plan

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D
Old 10-26-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and you are not alone.

I think what you mention at the end of your last post is part of feeling gratitude. And, that's something that is really important, especially in the early days, in order to begin to feel better.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Lots of support here.
May I recommend that you check in on the October “class,” a thread for the newly sober and those who want to be?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Dee. I'll read the link.

I hope people here don't come to think of me as being overly talkative. I don't feel qualified to offer many opinions at this point. But talking along in internet forums keeps my mind occupied.

I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with the good people here.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have nearly 167500 posts. You're not that talkative Hardinge

D
Old 10-26-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Hardinge.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome hardinge!

Switching up your routine may help you keep your mind off drinking during the time you normally would. I’ve been going to the gym after work or just hanging around downtown for a few hours to keep myself from sitting at home where I would usually rush to right after work to start drinking. I’ve also paused activities I’d normally do while drinking to keep myself from it. Even stopped hanging in the same room where I would drink!

Maybe try something like that? Im not sure how flexible your schedule is but I think sometimes we forget all the stuff we can do when we’re sober and not wasting time sitting around getting drunk. Maybe go out and do something you’ve always wanted to try. Also coming here and reading when I feel like drinking also helps. I get what you mean about not feeling able to give advice; I feel the same. But I know no one here would think you’re posting too much especially if it keeps you sober!

Keep checking in. Everyone here is so kind and supportive. Rooting for you!
Old 10-26-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Harding,

You’ve taken the first step, which is being self aware and admitting it’s become a problem. I’m not sure what your long term plans are. But most of us here have realized that not only do we not want alcohol to become part of our routine, but that we want long term sobriety and total abstinence. Once alcohol has become a problem, going back to moderation doesn’t work and the problem only worsens over time.

At first I felt like I was giving up so much. But now I realize that life is so much better sober. I wouldn’t even want to moderate. It’s still tough sometimes because triggers come up when you least expect. But having a plan, support, and daily practice has helped prevent relapses for me and the urges I used to feel are less and less. I’ve replaced alcohol with lots of other healthy habits - meditation, yoga, exercise, etc. this forum is also very supportive.

Don’t worry about talking too much. Sometimes just venting and sharing your thoughts is enough to help yourself, and someone else also.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement.

I haven't worked out a specific plan yet but my plan is to stop drinking completely.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been reading through the PDF links that Dee put up and the idea of triggers is something that I never considered. If you drink every day from late afternoon 'till bedtime you never take triggers into consideration. I'd take a day off from drinking on occasion, but generally speaking it's been a big part of my daily routine for a long, long time.

I can see how triggers could very well be something to pay attention to when drinking is no longer an accepted part of my daily routine. Offhand, I can't think of what they are. But I suspect that they're out there lurking and something that I need to be aware of.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

A trigger could be as simple as a certain hour that you associate with drinking , Hardinge.

D
Old 10-26-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah,..that could definitely be one. In fact, I joined this forum today at the time that I typically start drinking just because I wanted a diversion to keep me from it.

I'm very happy that I found this place.

I've looked for other online resources such as this, but this is far and away the best I've found.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congrats for taking the first step. Post as much as you like on here.