Notices

Another new guy

Old 10-27-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You will find SR a very helpful place to be, especially in the beginning of this new path in life you are taking. Each day make the commitment to not drink, no matter what. The day will go by and each day will get better.
Keep yourself busy. Exercise was a biggie for me. When I was out of sorts I would make myself get out the door and walk. This never failed to boost my mood and make me feel better about myself. You also see everything with new eyes! There is beauty everywhere.

Develop a plan and stick to it. You can do this!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey there

Just wanted to jump on your thread And give you some support. Hope you are feeling better mentally and physically! We are both just starting out. Use any and all tools you can find to stand your ground. Also I have to plan some rewards nfor myself because my rewards system is connected to alcohol and weed. Also dealing with escapism thoughts. Anyway shout out to you!

SeaSlug
Old 10-27-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks, SeaSlug. I'm just relaxing by the fireplace during this day of sobriety. This time of the afternoon is when I would typically start drinking. I'm occupying myself with the fireplace today to keep my mind away from it. I'm also going to attack a plate of spaghetti soon.

Even a light hangover drains me of any will to do anything, so I'm enjoying this day without one. I'm looking forward to seeing what days without alcohol feel like in a week or so. It's been several years since I went without for more than a few days. I'm curious to see just how good sobriety feels again. I've forgotten.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome Hardinge! Sounds like you're really seeking help and open to suggestion. That is important. You will get a lot of support here and meet some really wonderful people. Welcome to SR.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hardinge View Post
Thanks, SeaSlug. I'm just relaxing by the fireplace during this day of sobriety. This time of the afternoon is when I would typically start drinking. I'm occupying myself with the fireplace today to keep my mind away from it. I'm also going to attack a plate of spaghetti soon.

Even a light hangover drains me of any will to do anything, so I'm enjoying this day without one. I'm looking forward to seeing what days without alcohol feel like in a week or so. It's been several years since I went without for more than a few days. I'm curious to see just how good sobriety feels again. I've forgotten.
Sounds great chilling by the fireplace! Where I am it is 85F in the USA. I'm feeling better every day and am able to get out and be active. Went for a run/walk today. This is huge for me because my health anxiety was through the roof. I am also hanging out here alot because I don't know what to do with myself all of the time ..and I need the mutual effort. It helps me to know that others are making their best effort in a battle for themselves...their happiness, health, relationships, work.

I would be drinking hot cocoa or tea by a fireplace but I have iced tea here!
SeaSlug
Old 10-27-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm pretty determined, Alysheba. I'm no spring chicken these days and alcohol is doing me bad. I've made the attempt to stop drinking before but never stuck with it.

The onset of winter usually doubles the quantity of vodka I would drink a day and I felt myself getting into winter mode. I don't know how many more winters I have left if I let myself go through it again.

I had a couple of real bad rounds with it last week and decided that it was way past time to get serious about leaving it alone.

I'm quite sure that I'm going to start missing it in a couple of days. But it's put me through enough bad times lately that I'm very seriously tired of it.

The reasons that I started abusing alcohol all those years ago hasn't existed for quite some time. But the drinking routine lingered on.

I'm not going to do it any longer. I'm just not.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's not really cold enough for a fire here, Seaslug,...low 40's. But it cheers the place up and gives me something to do.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 11-02-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Been a week already. Made a quick trip to Toronto. No real drama except for a relative looking a bit perplexed when I didn't have a drink with dinner. She asked, "No Alcohol?"

I just said, "Nah,....not today."
Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your week.

D
Old 11-03-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Hardinge... good job on saying no, you’ll find that word pop into your head often when you’re trying to quit but it does get somewhat easier over time... Hang in there and congrats on one week👍👍👍👍
Old 11-03-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks. I was a bit surprised to be questioned as to why I wasn't having a drink with dinner. I think maybe it was because I was dining at a Polish restaurant and a chilled shot of vodka to start and finish dinner is a tradition in Poland.

I have to admit that it was tempting. Vodka was my thing. One or two wouldn't have been enough, however.

I married into a Polish family. Only one of them that I'm aware of has a drinking problem. But virtually all of them sip chilled shots of vodka during dinner and maybe a couple more throughout the evening.

I knew when we headed up there to visit that I was going to be confronted with temptation before it was over so I was more or less braced for it.