Notices

Brain fog after a night of binge drinking

Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain fog after a night of binge drinking

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with some advice please! I have been drinking as a binger for about 2 years now. I would say I have had 1-3 nights a week drinking pretty hard, liquor, beer. I have never experienced something quite like this and it is worrying me. Anyways, after a night of drinking liquor I came home and threw up. The next morning I knew I was going to be hung over and I was. Day 2 I still felt hung over and it was starting to worry me because I never have been hung over for 2 days straight. I was drinking plenty of water and eating pretty healthy. So after day 2 when I woke up on day 3 I knew something wasn’t right. Still had bad brain fog, felt completely not myself, spaced out, zoned out. So here I am 14 days without drinking and still have this weird brain fog that seems to not be going away. I am becoming worried that I may not feel better for a while. I keep thinking that this is permanent but I just don’t know what to think being That I have never experienced this before. It’s like my head is foggy and I can’t even think or remember some things that happen. I have also been very tired ever since and seem to sleep 8-10 hours a night and feel as if I have not slept. I don’t know what to do or if this is some type of withdrawal. It just really scares me because it happened a day or so after I got really intoxicated. Please help with any info you have or if you have ever had something like this happen to you.
Thank you.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m only on day 2 and definitely still foggy. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Binge drinking can throw your brain and nervous system more out of whack than the same amount of alcohol spaced out more evenly. It sounds like you are starting to develop withdrawal symptoms which can persist or recur for a long time after your last drink. Google "alcoholic kindling" for more information. Meanwhile, here is a handy chart showing how the tendency for withdrawal grows worse with each episode of binge drinking.

The only sure cure is continued abstinence. If that's your goal, this site can help with support, information, and encouragement!

Old 10-26-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Binge drinking can throw your brain and nervous system more out of whack than the same amount of alcohol spaced out more evenly. It sounds like you are starting to develop withdrawal symptoms which can persist or recur for a long time after your last drink. Google "alcoholic kindling" for more information. Meanwhile, here is a handy chart showing how the tendency for withdrawal grows worse with each episode of binge drinking.

The only sure cure is continued abstinence. If that's your goal, this site can help with support, information, and encouragement!

Thank you for that information. I just read up on it and will continue to do so. Hopefully this brain fog will lift very soon. I’m planning on not drinking for a very very long time. If I do resort to drinking it may be 1 or 2 but after a few years of healing. I’m not looking to feel like this ever again. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
I’m only on day 2 and definitely still foggy. I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you and hang in there. How are you feeling? What are some of your symptoms?
Old 10-26-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the 'universe'/body is telling you something..listen to it/them.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I experienced kindling and it sounds like what you are dealing with. I hope you decide to stop drinking and to live a sober life.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I experienced kindling and it sounds like what you are dealing with. I hope you decide to stop drinking and to live a sober life.
Thank you for your response. How long did your brain fog last about? I know everyone is different but when did things get better for you? What did you find best to help with this on a day by day basis?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, things improved after the first week.

What helped me was the basics. I tried to eat well, drink lots of water, get outside and walk every day and to accomplish some things each day that made me feel better about myself.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
For me, things improved after the first week.

What helped me was the basics. I tried to eat well, drink lots of water, get outside and walk every day and to accomplish some things each day that made me feel better about myself.
Glad that those symptoms left quickly for you. I’m on day 14 and the haze/brain fog is still here. Hoping that it clears really soon.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Blake,

My brain has been permanently damaged from booze.

Permanently damaged.

I got used to it, for the most part, but it took well over 2 years.

The fog lasted longer and longer. I think God said...ok buddy you want to be drunk all the time...boom. Now you feel drunk...without the euphoria.

I quit after that. I can't take aother 3 years or more to stabilize. It will drive me insane.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When my uncle was in rehab/my family was in al-anon, they referred to that as ‘wet brain’. I’ve experienced it myself. Even completely sober, I’ve searched for words that shouldn’t be all that difficult. It’s a scary thing, and has been a wake up call for me.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Blake,

Permanently damaged.

The fog lasted longer and longer. I think God said...ok buddy you want to be drunk all the time...boom. Now you feel drunk...without the euphoria.

I quit after that. I can't take aother 3 years or more to stabilize. It will drive me insane.

Thanks.
I’m sorry to hear that and hope you get better. I’m on my 3rd week and it seems like I have a kinda decent day then it’s back more the next day. This feeling really does suck and I just want it to pass. It’s like this fog just sits on top of my head and in my eyes and I don’t feel normal at times. Just wishing for this to pass. I will never pick up another drink again, this feeling is horrible.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will pass Blake...might take a while, but it will

D
Old 04-10-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Blake,

Permanently damaged.

Thanks.
Thats kinda how I feel still, things got better then the wave came back. It definitely feels kinda like a light buzzed feeling without having that good feeling. My eyes still act up and I been to the doctor and they got me glasses. I can tell it wasn’t just my eyes so I know that it’s definitely from that night of drinking that messed my brain up. Some days better then others but supposedly I’m still into early recovery, I’m at 6 months. Sometimes to I wonder will I ever feel 100% again or is this permanently how I’m going to be forever. Honestly I couldn’t live like this just knowing that I’m a bit off from feeling like I use to before this happened. Finally got medical insurance soon so I will be going to a doctor. I couldn’t afford going to any doctors witch probably was a really bad idea.