SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Argh day 14/15 so hard (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433464-argh-day-14-15-so-hard.html)

Alice9 10-24-2018 06:15 PM

Argh day 14/15 so hard

Hi All,

I have been heavily drinking for at least 20+ years... when I was younger it was more binge drinking, well beyond blackout. As I have gotten older i have convince myself it is more productive to drink every other night so i don't binge as much and can at least half function during the day. I own my own business and I also have 3 kids... so I guess I am now a burnt out alcoholic.

I feel like I have kept everything together with sticky tape for such a long time that I am now falling apart.

I am on day 15.... I really didn't expect it to be this hard. On day 4 I was considering going to hospital. I was tingly all over, light headed and vomiting and my heart was racing for about 10 hours it was the worst. I was ok then from day 4 to 13 (late at night). It was about 10.30pm and i started feeling like i was above. Unsure if i was going to pass out or have a heart attack. I have now felt like that all of day 14 and Im not much better today, although I don't feel tingly.

I'm struggling with massive anxiety and maybe this is my chest pain? also fatigue. My anxiety is so bad I cant leave the house.

I guess I am concerned if this is normal or if I have done damage to my body.

I know there is only sobriety left for me know... I just wasn't expecting it to be this hard.:thanks

Thanks, all advice is so welcomed.

Free2bme888 10-24-2018 06:50 PM

Hi Alice. Welcome to SR!

This is a great place to come.

I had been drinking pretty heavily for 20 years but mostly have for the last three, with my ABF.

To answer your question, if you are this uncomfortable, go get medical help. Withdrawal is not fun, and it takes about 10 days for the alcohol to get out of your system when you’ve been a heavy drinker. So this might be anxiety or could truly be chest pain.

The most important thing is is that you have decided to stop drinking, and you know that you can no longer drink. So definitely drinking is not the answer to relieve your symptoms.

I’m sending positive thoughts your way that you make the best decision today for yourself.

Glad to see you here

matrac 10-24-2018 06:53 PM

I really think that you should see your doctor if your heart is still racing at this point

least 10-24-2018 06:56 PM

Welcome to the family. :) If you have any concerns about your health, please see your doctor. Anxiety is common in early recovery but if it's too much for you, get medical advice and help. :hug:

Alice9 10-24-2018 07:03 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by matrac (Post 7040645)
I really think that you should see your doctor if your heart is still racing at this point

yeah, i will... its only on those bad days (day 4 and 13/14) that it has been racing. I will definitely follow through with a doctors app. Thanks.

Alice9 10-24-2018 07:12 PM

It is a great place on SR

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 (Post 7040641)
Hi Alice. Welcome to SR!

This is a great place to come.

I had been drinking pretty heavily for 20 years but mostly have for the last three, with my ABF.

To answer your question, if you are this uncomfortable, go get medical help. Withdrawal is not fun, and it takes about 10 days for the alcohol to get out of your system when you’ve been a heavy drinker. So this might be anxiety or could truly be chest pain.

The most important thing is is that you have decided to stop drinking, and you know that you can no longer drink. So definitely drinking is not the answer to relieve your symptoms.

I’m sending positive thoughts your way that you make the best decision today for yourself.

Glad to see you here

i have been reading everyones post and its really gotten me through these last couple of days.... I really didnt take into consideration how long/hard this would be...but no matter what im going to do this! Thank you for your positive thoughts they are really appreciated.

plop 10-24-2018 08:43 PM

Alice9, you should definitely see a doctor if you are worried, but on the other hand 14 or 15 days is still early. Withdrawals aren't fun at all and a lot of people relapse because of them. If you see a doctor and keep sobriety your priority, things will get better.

Alice9 10-24-2018 10:44 PM

Ive been to the Dr

She was relatively sure its anxiety...poor Dr i could bearly stop crying (not coping)....but getting an heart ecg and bloods done to be sure.
i feel a little better this afternoon... its a nice relief from the last two days but scared of what the future days bring.
ive been hydrating. My husband has been with me the last two days (literally has not left my side) and even had my mum pick my kids up from school... im not sure i could do this on my own.
I even feel incredibly weak writing this as i have always been the 'strong' one, or maybe that was just the mask?
only 1 way forward....

Be123 10-24-2018 10:55 PM

Well done, this sounds like you are doing everything really well. In my very limited experience I started feeling physically much better after about 20 days and I realised how bad I’d been feeling for the last 20 years!!

Originally Posted by Alice9 (Post 7040750)
She was relatively sure its anxiety...poor Dr i could bearly stop crying (not coping)....but getting an heart ecg and bloods done to be sure.
i feel a little better this afternoon... its a nice relief from the last two days but scared of what the future days bring.
ive been hydrating. My husband has been with me the last two days (literally has not left my side) and even had my mum pick my kids up from school... im not sure i could do this on my own.
I even feel incredibly weak writing this as i have always been the 'strong' one, or maybe that was just the mask?
only 1 way forward....

Alice9 10-26-2018 02:01 AM

End of day 16

Originally Posted by Ben123 (Post 7040755)
Well done, this sounds like you are doing everything really well. In my very limited experience I started feeling physically much better after about 20 days and I realised how bad I’d been feeling for the last 20 years!!

Mentally i had a pretty good day. I gardened, had my bloods taken, the ecg machine wasnt working (which freaked me out abit but i will go back next week). I feel very tired now like it was a long day and i look forward to sleep. I wake up at crazy hours of the night all night. Normally i would take sleeping pills when i have finished drinking to make sure i slept but i want to be 100% clean and sober.
im worried about next week going back to the office. Ive been lucky working (very minimum) from home this week. I go back to a crazy busy life...back to back meetings and appointments. I worry about freaking out or thinking im going to have a heart attack...
for now i will appreciate my night at home.
i have appreciated reading peoples thoughts and opinions and will continue to do so.

PhoenixJ 10-26-2018 02:08 AM

welcome Alice! Join threads, read, post lots, learn, share, support.

AAPJ 10-26-2018 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Alice9 (Post 7041521)
im worried about next week going back to the office. Ive been lucky working (very minimum) from home this week. I go back to a crazy busy life...back to back meetings and appointments......

For me a lot of work is a good thing. Being busy means no time to ponder a drink. I guess it's a confirmation of the old saying:

idle hands are the devil's workshop

I hope you find this to be your experience too.

SnazzyDresser 10-26-2018 03:52 AM

It is difficult at first, Alice9! Gotta hang in there. We've all been where you are right now, the early days. It can get bleak in the daily grind but keep your focus sharp on the long-term big idea of sobriety, the happy healthy life that's possible without the poison, and stay on track.

biminiblue 10-26-2018 05:38 AM

Oh, that spinny crazy brain. The first few weeks are terrible.

It gets better - and if you never forget this, your chances of full continuous recovery are even better. I never never never never never ever want to go back there ever again.

Never.

zoobadger 10-26-2018 05:43 AM

It sounds like you're suffering from PAWS - Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

(Google the topic - the forum won't let me post a link).

In my case I suffered from disturbed sleep, anxiety, and other tribulations for several weeks after detoxing. I detoxed under medical supervision in an in-patient facility for 10 days and then immediately transitioned into a five day a week intensive outpatient program. Knowing that my symptoms were typical - indeed, comparatively mild - reassured me that I was OK in spite of my physical and emotional symptoms.

I'd recommend that you look into joining an out-patient program. I found daily group therapy sessions invaluable and continue to benefit from tools and techniques the counselors shared with us.

I was fortunate that my insurance includes unusually generous coverage for substance abuse, but nearly all health coverage does include at least a few weeks of coverage for daily therapy.

Alice9 10-27-2018 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by zoobadger (Post 7041638)
It sounds like you're suffering from PAWS - Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

(Google the topic - the forum won't let me post a link).

In my case I suffered from disturbed sleep, anxiety, and other tribulations for several weeks after detoxing. I detoxed under medical supervision in an in-patient facility for 10 days and then immediately transitioned into a five day a week intensive outpatient program. Knowing that my symptoms were typical - indeed, comparatively mild - reassured me that I was OK in spite of my physical and emotional symptoms.

I'd recommend that you look into joining an out-patient program. I found daily group therapy sessions invaluable and continue to benefit from tools and techniques the counselors shared with us.

I was fortunate that my insurance includes unusually generous coverage for substance abuse, but nearly all health coverage does include at least a few weeks of coverage for daily therapy.

thanks, i dont have the time to step out of life for a bit....also where i live there is nothing like that close.
yeah i agree it could be paws and maybe low blood sugar as my body would of had at the very least 12 bottles of wine since ive stopped (i was abit of a make the most of it too...drinking on empty stomach and as quick as possible)....so no doubt my whole insides are like wtf???? Im not a sweats eater, my desert was always in a bottle. I might test for hypoglycemia...the symptoms are sounding relevant. Thank you for touching base. I will (have too) get there!

Alice9 10-27-2018 09:46 PM

Now day 18

Originally Posted by plop (Post 7040704)
Alice9, you should definitely see a doctor if you are worried, but on the other hand 14 or 15 days is still early. Withdrawals aren't fun at all and a lot of people relapse because of them. If you see a doctor and keep sobriety your priority, things will get better.

thanks, i plan on following up every medical concern i have... for my own peace of mind. The hardest part is getting (mentally for me)...

Alice9 10-27-2018 09:51 PM

The weakest link

[QUOTE=biminiblue;7041635]Oh, that spinny crazy brain. The first few weeks are terrible.

It gets better - and if you never forget this, your chances of full continuous recovery are even better. I never never never never never ever want to go back there ever again.

Never.[/QUOT
ive always said my brain is my weakest muscle...and ohhh boy i feel that now! Although its hard to know what to believe health/head?? So out of touch with my body. Day 18 and still super hard. I had to visit my grandpar in hospital (first time out of the house in awhile) and i felt like i should have admitted myself but clearly all in my head because i am home now and fine!

PhoenixJ 10-28-2018 01:59 PM

Alice- for me at times it is not a matter of really knowing what my silly brain and emotions are doing, because in the moment it is easy to get all mixed up with stuff.
What I do know to do is stay safe, remember HALTS- then ride the silly thoughts or confusing emotions out- until the wave receeds- then write stuff down and deal with it all later.