Notices

6 months of sobriety

Old 10-23-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months of sobriety

Today marks 6 months since I took my last drink.

I cannot believe it. I never, ever thought that sobriety would happen to me!

How I did it? I logged on here and started posting. I had been lurking a while. I posted my story and Dee suggested I join the April thread which I did and I started posting daily.

I text 2 women I had met in AA last year and said 2 words. Help me. I got to a meeting. I admitted I was completely powerless over alcohol and my life was totally unmanagable. I finally surrended and accepted that I was an alcoholic and that no human power could relieve me of my alcoholism and I have come to believe that only a power greater than myself can restore me to sanity.

I am now an active member of the fellowship of AA. I have a home group which I have service at 3x a week and I have a sponsor and am working the steps. I pray to my HP every morning to keep me sober and am grateful to put my head on the pillow sober at night.

The first 3/4 months were the hardest and then it gets easier but I haven't always had a smooth ride. I (believe) I suffer quite substantially from PAWS and some days are pretty rough. But I can tell you this FROM MY EXPERIENCE , that my rough days in sobriety are nowhere near as bad as being in the pain, hoplessness and despair that my drinking days brought me.

in the last 6 months, I have not done one thing I am ashamed of. I haven't woken up (come to) and had to check my daughter is ok because I have zero recollection of the night before. I haven't woken up next to someone I don't know and been intimate with (ugh) I don't wake up and feel suicidal anymore, or have to hide under the covers all day just waiting for night to come around again. I don't have to call my daughter's daddy to take her to school because I am too hungover to do it or to pick her up from school and have her overnight because I am too sick.
3am waking with an unquenchable thirst, night sweats and racing heart?? . I don't experience that anymore!!! I sleep pretty much through the whole night now. Sleep is amazing.

Sobriety is a journey, not a destination. This is my life now. I am an alcoholic and I can never drink again (a day at a time) and that is ok. I know today that I don't have to drink over anything, no matter how bad I feel.
It is taken me some time but I am learning to live my life without alcohol and more than that, to actually enjoy life without alcohol. I am, through the 12 steps of AA, learning a way to live that gives me purpose, peace and serenity. I am a work in progress and have a long way to go but that's ok.

Today, I am a sober and present mummy to my 6 year old daughter, a good daughter to my own parents, a good sibling to my brothers and sisters and a good friend. I haven't been off sick from work once, so I am becoming a good employee, and trying to work through the issues I have with my daughter's daddy so I can be a good ex (?!)

Most of all, I am starting to learn to love myself. To put myself first (not at the expense of others of course) but for my recovery, so that I can continue to be all those things above but also so that I can enjoy the life I have been given. I am starting to get some self respect and dignity back. To learn that I am worth something. That people love me. That I deserve more than self medicating and numbing with alcohol day after day after day.

I want to thank all of you here at SR For sharing your stories. Your triumphs AND ypur struggles. Thank you Dee. Thank you my lovely fellow Apriler's. You know who you are 😊😊

I am obviously very AA but whichever way you choose to get and, more importantly, stay sober, just keep going. If you 're struggling, never give up. Do whatever it takes to not pick up that first drink. It is worth the struggle I promise you. We are all worth it !!!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. As a fellow Apriler I too am on the same time line. Even though I'm not in AA I do share in many of your emotions. The lack of shame and the full presence we have for ourselves and our family is something that only sobriety can bring. I see the posts of people still negotiating with their demons 'maybe I can have a drink' etc and I'm just so grateful to finally be here. Your post rings with the same gratitude.

Huge congrats. Great work.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a wonderful post, and congratulations on 6 months of recovery.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober and thank you for a powerful message.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

Fantastic, snitch. We are worth it, you're right!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job snitch! I sometimes update by reading your April group threads, as you are all an inspiring and cohesive group who support each other so well.

Keep up the great work
Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow Snitch
What a wonderful message of the Joy in Sobriety
Your message brings great hope
Well said and congratulations
Thank you!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for taking the time to respond 😊😊

I need to edit part of my post to say it was actually the beautiful Daisybelle who invited my to join in on the April thread.! I have just re read my first post here.

THANK YOU DAISYBELLE IF YOU ARE READING THIS!! I AM SO PROUD TO BE ON THIS JOURNEY WITH YOU 🌻🌻🌻

And thanks Dee who then posted the link.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post, Snitch, and congratulations on 6 months.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done snitch
AND a huge congratulations
your one awesome lady
keep rocking that sobriety girl x
cara❤
Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a nice post snitch!

awesome on the 6 months!!!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! That's a brilliant achievement you should be so proud of yourself
Old 10-23-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you

Congratulations, you have given me hope. I want to write this is 6 months too. I’m on day 2 and hating myself. Help me. I’m at that point. Keep up the good work, just 6 months away from a year.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done on 6 months.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats to a young mum and a good person.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six months, thanks for such an inspiring post!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months!

I had PAWS bad still at 6 months myself, it gets better! It eases up in waves so if you feel it leave and come back don't get discouraged!

After around 13 months it was pretty much gone and it was like a breath of fresh air hitting my face every day!
Old 10-24-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Huge congrats, snitch!!!! well done!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations

D